Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 2020 Chevy Colorado WT/Samsung Galaxy S10. Only USBs are under the radio, none in the center console. Can connect via bluetooth fine. Tried about 6 different cables including the one that came with the phone and a higher quality transfer cable that is brand new. I've also tried clicking through every single option under USB settings on the phone.

I'm worried that the two USB ports are charging only or that I need additional software in the truck.

Posted pictures for further description. Screenshots and pictures of truck screen taken while plugged in. Phone only shows as charging. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Diesel
1 Posts
That is the correct location. The two under the radio are the only ones that work with data. Nothing additional required on the radio side. Seems to be very fussy with the cables. I had a few that wouldn't work. A few more that would work if wiggling the cable around a bit on the phone-end. I thought the cell phone port was going bad. Eventually, I did try yet another cable, and it works perfectly now. (2020 Colorado ZR1 Diesel)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Restart your phone while connected to the USB and it should find it and work ok afterwards. Was the only way I could get my 2019 to recognize mine.

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Colorado Z71
70 Posts
You need to go into your google maps app and uninstall the most recent update then try it again.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My 2020 ZR2 and Samsung Galaxy S10 work perfectly with both cables I've tried in those same ports. I guess keep trying cables?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2020 Chevy Colorado WT/Samsung Galaxy S10. Only USBs are under the radio, none in the center console. Can connect via bluetooth fine. Tried about 6 different cables including the one that came with the phone and a higher quality transfer cable that is brand new. I've also tried clicking through every single option under USB settings on the phone.

I'm worried that the two USB ports are charging only or that I need additional software in the truck.

Posted pictures for further description. Screenshots and pictures of truck screen taken while plugged in. Phone only shows as charging. Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 397856 View attachment 397863 View attachment 397861 View attachment 397859 View attachment 397860 View attachment 397862
Did you get this to work. Just got a new phone and I'm having the same issue.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
There can be any number of issues. Wrong cable (it has to be a data cable), phone not unlocked, phone needs to be rebooted, Android Auto not installed on phone, permissions not granted.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
You need to go into your google maps app and uninstall the most recent update then try it again.
That may be worth a try, but I've not yet ever had an issue with GM versions, although some reportedly have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2020 Chevy Colorado WT
I have that same truck with it's crappy infotainment center.
Original phone LG 4 micro usb
new phone Motorola Gpower Usb C
Android auto drove me bonkers until I googled the phrase "USB cables approved for use with Android auto"
Monoprice is on that list and using those cables either phone works fine with Android auto.
You can get them cheap on ebay or Amazon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This drove me nuts on my VW. Now I'm an IT professional so I went through the full test case scenario including trying the new phone/cable on my neighbor's newer Audi(worked there). Previous Moto X worked on same VW but new Pixel was usb C so needed new cable since Pixel oem cable was "C" on both ends so could not use. Came to conclusion it HAD to be the head unit and that something had changed with Android 10(older phone was 8.0). Took it in and they went through everything but tech was able to connect his Samsung fine. Same cable so I asked if I could try my Pixel. Worked fine. Bought a oem Samsung cable the next day and fine since...

FF to Colorado and same phone/cable. Wouldn't work. Wife's Apple worked fine. Ordered another/multiple new cable(s) from Amazon and 2 out of 3 worked fine(and all were better/highly rated cables).

Cannot say why but some phones and cables are not going to work. Drove me nuts. I feel for non-tech folks but the dealership's advice to use the oem cable if at all possible makes the most sense to me to start at!!

P.S. make sure the phone has the latest OS and latest updates to AA app and other key AA apps you are going to use. many times bugs are found and corrected but people don't download the latest version with the fixes...

Initially(and pretty much still the case) I was all for AA/Apple car play since then you weren't reliant on a car mfg to update software and possibly pay dealership to load(earlier versions were not OTA updates). Figured Google/Apple would always update so bonus. What I forgot is that as time passed technology changes and your phones get updated and replaced. That means the gap between the head unit and you phone gets bigger and bigger. Might be a problem might not but if you keep vehicles for say 10 years you could be 7-10 versions newer of the OS and 2-5 newer on a phone all trying to connect to the same head unit. That head unit may have gotten an update or 2 but historically they are pretty slow to update and quick to drop support in my experience... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a GM dealer parts manager. My brother bought a new Colorado and was having a problem like this. I did a GM TAC case on it and GM told me to make sure that the date and time in the truck and phone match EXACTLY. If not Android Auto will not connect and will not give an error code. reset the time and date in the truck and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am a GM dealer parts manager. My brother bought a new Colorado and was having a problem like this. I did a GM TAC case on it and GM told me to make sure that the date and time in the truck and phone match EXACTLY. If not Android Auto will not connect and will not give an error code. reset the time and date in the truck and it fixed the problem.
That's bizarre but I'm an IT guy so I can possibly see this as part of the "handshake" too...
That said, they are never going to be totally in sync unless the truck's head unit copies the time/date from the phone. Pretty much impossible to get it any closer than same minute and even then it would be off at times and if that makes the connection/pairing fail than it would be intermittent depending on how much overlap there is...
Again, have seen weirder things. Have seen Windows have issues if you do things out of order. Sometimes this "stuff" falls into RTFM but as often it is not documented... :(

I think I posted in this thread that it was just a cord issue for me. Same cord worked on same phone and VW's AA but not Chevy. Touchy for sure. Spend more on a really good cord and just be sure you can return it if it doesn't work!!

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,233 Posts
Gotta use cords that come with the phone.
I went to Best Buy and got Samsung cords.
Also, AA, or Infotainment, will do an audio read of the txt, but not show you the txt while driving.
There is much function redundancy between AA and Infotainment. It gets confusing.
I recently discovered if I use verbal commands for Infotainment to call someone in my phone contacts, it does a better job at finding (some) of the contacts than AA (Google Assistant) does.

·
Registered
94 Posts

View attachment 397856 View attachment 397863 View attachment 397861 View attachment 397859 View attachment 397860 View attachment 397862
I have a 2019 WT and use Android Auto all the time on it. Just out of curiosity, have you tried seeing if the ports will read a USB stick with a few MP3's loaded onto it? If it can it might eliminate the ports as the cause of your issues.

Oh and to add to this, when I first got my truck I had to replace my phone (Droid Maxx 2). The USB port on the phone was messed up (the phone was messed up long before I got the truck) and the truck wouldn't read or charge the phone. You might want to see if you can get someone else's phone to connect before going too crazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts