Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a system for my '06 crew cab. Going with the box from subthump.com and the kicker solobaric 10". Speaker is rated at 600w RMS and I need a decent amp to push it. Dont want anything too small or anything thats going to blow it. I'm loving the box and the speaker tho. Any suggestions for an amp. I havent been in this sound system game for about 8 years so Im outdated. Just want something that is going to sound nice and clean, and actually be able to fit the amp somewhere. Need some ideas and suggestions. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How much do you want to spend? That will help to narrow down the field. I'm also running a 10" L7. I'm pushing mine with a Concept CD-810. It puts out about 500w @ 2ohms. It does the job just fine. I've had the amp for several years and it has been good to me. I'm the only I've seen that uses this amp. I have it mounted on the back wall behind the rear drivers seat. There is a pic in my gallery of how I mounted the amp. There are many options out there as far as amps go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lookin to spend about 200- 300 on an amp itself. Thats what i needed to knoew where to mount it too. just got done looking at some of the pics and that seems like a perfect spot. Been looking at the kicker zx1000.1, Infinity reference 1600a, hifonics bxi1606d, and some ma audio amps. I will be running it on 4ohms

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
why 4 ohms? Do you have the dual 4ohm or dual 2ohm sub? If you have the dual 4 ohm I would reccommend wiring it for 2 ohms. If you have the dual 2 ohm sub I would reccommend wiring it for 1 ohm. This way you can run an amp with less power.

I think the hifonics bxi1606d would be a great choice, but probably overkill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what i was thinking with the overkill. I got a pioneer 6900 hd unit. Polk tweets and Polk door speakers with a profile 1000w amp pushin those. so all i need is the low end. Its the dual 4ohm speaker. I need to double check on that hifonics to make sure it will be stable for to ohms.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you have the dual 4 ohm speaker you will have to wire to either 2 ohms or 8 ohms. The Hifonics amp will be stable at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i just checked. If i was to run it on 2 ohms it would really be an overkill. That way i could get a cheaper amp if i ran it on 2 ohms huh? Its been a while so im kinda confused on this stuff. thats why i'm on here asking for help. thank you for the info Justin. So it doesnt run the amp that hard to go lower on ohms?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It won't run the amp hard if it is stable at the speakers matched impedance.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
$250-300 about 3 years ago. I don't even know if they make it anymore?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm running the 1606D at 1 ohm and have not had any problems at all.
Justin has heard my system and I think will agree that it has plenty of output for the money.
For your needs the 1206D might be a better choice and for a little less money.
The 900 watt rating @ 2 ohms is the "Advertised" rating so true RMS should be perfect for you with room to spare.
I got mine from here... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio ... ctID=16367 Good price with no problems.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
^^^ He knows what he's talking about. Great suggestion!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm with TexasXtreme on this one. Grab that Hifonics. It's a pretty powerful amp for the price and just watch your gains and you shouldn't have any problems. Plus if you ever change your system or vehicle it's a pretty versatile amp so you shouldn't have any problems. I put a Hifonics amp in my ex-girlfriends explorer and never had any problems with it and it sounded great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Texas boys. I will def get the hifonics 1206 after looking at it. I guess I let that slip by. Didnt see it till you pointed it out for me. That should be enough for what I need.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yup, I have the 1206, running @ 4 ohm and it is great. I am going to get either another sub @ 4ohm or a DVC sub eventually. They do have tons of power as many have said already.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found a 1206 for a total of $209 with shipping brand new. Going with that one!!! Did you have to take the plastic molding out behind the rear seat to mount the amp or can you just mount it up on that? I can just ground it right where the seat bolts are right?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I found it was easy to take the plastic piece off the back and use machine screws and nuts to bolt it to the plastic (washers too). There are two pins on each side of the panel. Remove those and pull the panel away from the wall. Once all the clips are loose from the middle just lift it up from the window lip. Otherwise you will probably put screw holes in the back of your cab. I used a seat bolt for my ground with no issues.

·
Registered
639 Posts
There will be no sound difference per say between 2ohm or 4ohm. The ability to change the ohm level which your amp sees just allows you more flexibility in matching the power your speaker needs to the power your amp puts out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts