Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Funny, I was having this exact conversation with some family members when I was trying to decide what type of truck to buy. My mom thought I should be getting a hybrid SUV/Car of some sort. My father in law (who I agree with) is under the opinion that the infrastructure simply isn't there yet to have full EV vehicles and no gas vehicles and doesn't see it happening in his lifetime. Could be 15-20 years from now however (his opinion, he's in the industry).
One idea we came up (which is probably dumb but I thought it made sense) that we thought could work was instead of gas stations/charging stations, you can have battery stations where you swap out your battery for a charged one and once the stations takes yours than they can start charging that one. One issue obviously is that you would need quite a lot of battery's available to start out with at each station. But eventually it could turn into just like buying a tank of gas.

I for one am happy with my first truck being a Colorado and selfishly hope this EV thing is far off in the future. I still want a legit hover board however ;)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I will not get into the debate of whether or not going full EV right now is a good or bad thing, or whether or not we EVs are ready for the masses (they are not).

But yeah...an electric only Colorado (or whatever it will be named) is coming. "Ultium" is the name of the currently modular battery platform that GM is using now. It can be shrank or made larger to accommodate a very wide variety of vehicles, and there are multiple electric motors that can be used with it. For example, just in the past week GM's Mark Reuss said in a statement that the Ultium platform can be used to accommodate anything from the Hummer, down to a sports car.

That said, I don't think we'll see an electric only Colorado in this next generation. We might get a hybrid Colorado in the next gen. There is strong evidence that Ford will have a hybrid Ranger in the next gen and it will produce over 500lbs of torque. Don't quote me on that, but I have read it at a few difference sources. I personally feel that once the Colorado/Canyon go full EV on the Ultium or similar platform, that all of them will be electric. Otherwise, they'd have to produce the truck using two separate platforms...one that utilizes ICE and the other for battery only. The full size truck market can probably make a business case for that, but I don't think that the mid-size market can.

I've seen that image also. That very well could be a test model for the new Silverado in the background there, or perhaps some sort of concept, or even just something made up for presentations like the one this image was captured from, but I really doubt that is THE Silverado EV in it's final look. It will need to maintain a rugged look. I'm not sure that front even does it...but who knows. Just my two cents.
I have been hesitant to call this truck a Silverado yet. It is a departure from the present model but then again if they are going electric Aero is important and for it to have a different nose would not be out of the question. The nose would be a trunk like the Hummer is.

If I had to peg a Colorado EV it would be the truck that replaces the coming model we will see next year. The change over at GM is about one gen away so the timing for an EV would be the gen after this one. Hard to say when there is so little out on the next gen. What we do know though is it is based on the same platform we have now and it will just be updated. So it is not engineered for EV drivetrains like the full size has been.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Funny, I was having this exact conversation with some family members when I was trying to decide what type of truck to buy. My mom thought I should be getting a hybrid SUV/Car of some sort. My father in law (who I agree with) is under the opinion that the infrastructure simply isn't there yet to have full EV vehicles and no gas vehicles and doesn't see it happening in his lifetime. Could be 15-20 years from now however (his opinion, he's in the industry).
One idea we came up (which is probably dumb but I thought it made sense) that we thought could work was instead of gas stations/charging stations, you can have battery stations where you swap out your battery for a charged one and once the stations takes yours than they can start charging that one. One issue obviously is that you would need quite a lot of battery's available to start out with at each station. But eventually it could turn into just like buying a tank of gas.

I for one am happy with my first truck being a Colorado and selfishly hope this EV thing is far off in the future. I still want a legit hover board however ;)
The future of the change over cannot be judged on just what is available now. This is going to take 10-20 years. GM is basing their decisions on the third gen battery in development not the one they are about to introduce. You kind of haver to look ahead to make sense of some of this.

The battery swap thing was tried by Tesla and soon removed. It really did not work well. The fact that we today have batteries that can charge 100 miles in 30 min has negated the swap labor. Also the coming batteries are expected to cut the time even more. The goal is to get the battery to charge in the time it takes to fill a tank of gas. Once that is achieved the gas stations will install chargers at the islands.

The telling thing of where this is going is the number of companies announcing when they will move on from ICE power plants. GM, VW and a number of others have already announced their goal dates. They are all gearing up to move on.

It was like when they got to where they feel they will be at $60 kWh by 2030 that was a game changer. These batteries were at 1,183 per kilowatt hour in 2010 and it was said they never would get below $100 kWh. With the improvements in cost will be improvements in performance and charging.

We went decades with little investment in batteries but in the last 10 years more has been invested than in the last 100 years combined. That is a game changer. It is not just the cars driving this but all the electronics we use. Also the space program as NASA has had begun to invest even more than they have. The Glen Research center here has been the lead on this and they are doing some wild things today.

I just know that this has gotten to the point it is effecting my job and we have gone from joking about EV cars and performance parts to now doing research into what the needs will be in the market and what we can supply. The aftermarket is no longer passing this off as all the MFGs are looking for where they can fit in for the future.

At least withs he length of transition here it will make things happen not over night and many can prepare. There will be opportunities to make money and now is the time to start to identify where.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
We were swapping batteries in electric forklifts years ago. Granted, these were huge, wet-cell batteries, I think it would require a trained technician to do the swap, a controlled environment, and every vehicle using the same battery configuration and the same access to swap out the battery. Or, each manufacturer has to have their own infrastructure duplicated for their design. Maybe it can work in a more confined environment like the European Union, much more difficult in the sprawling US.

I know, most of the political types cannot imagine how Texas or Kansas or Nebraska look, their image in their green world is just NYC.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
8,639 Posts

That would be a good idea to swap, I think I read somewhere Tesla was considering this.
What about bad batteries? Do the swapping places just eat it and add the cost to the "fill up" ?

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Forget the free student loans and stimulus checks, I want free solar panels and 10k off my new electric Colorado. Are you listening Biden? :)

Reactions: Jwyner

·
Registered
9 Posts
That would be a good idea to swap, I think I read somewhere Tesla was considering this.
What about bad batteries? Do the swapping places just eat it and add the cost to the "fill up" ?
That's a good question! Some one much smarter than me that will make a pile of money will come up with that solution.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
861 Posts
They are running a commercial for the new GM electric platform- they show outlines of vehicles that can go on the platform, one ouktile looks to be a colorado or Silverado. Looks more like a collie because of the size they outline.

·
Registered
2016 GMC Canyon minimax
25 Posts
Climitards will push for electric vehicles, even though we don’t have the power or infrastructure. Then electric power will sky rocket and gas prices will drop drastically. Last years corona virus caused prices to drop to negative prices because no one was using it.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
If they made a reasonabily priced, electric mid-sized Colorado/Canyon that wasn't all tricked out like the new Hummer EV, I would definitely buy one. Basically the truck I have now, with electric motors instead of gas would be ideal.
The Hummer utility vehicle will only have 800hp. I don't know if I could live with that. 😁

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The Hummer utility vehicle will only have 800hp. I don't know if I could live with that. 😁
Yea, the Hummer is just for the enthusiast. I just would just want a regular daily driven pickup that I could use the same way I use my gas truck now. I don't need the crab walking and 800 hp features.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Basically, the swapping place would own the battery and you would just be paying for them to re-charge it. Same business model as the propane tank swap stations all over the place.

It still becomes an issue of getting every manufacturer to use the same battery. You can't even get them to agree on a charging model, you think they are going to agree on a battery style?

Another consideration, portable propane tanks were already a pretty standardize, mature product after a good many years, with little improvements in tank technology possible. Battery technology is evolving at such a rate, it would be hard to standardize.

I think one business model would be to design a car that would accept evolving battery technology. That would fly in the face of the technology business model. That would be akin to Apple or Samsung designing a phone that you could just swap a chip out every year or two to get the latest upgrade. Can you imagine not? Of course not. They have to require you to dump your current set of wheels in favor of the latest technology. However, a cell phone in the landfill every 2-3 years doesn't take near as much space as a Tesla.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Basically, the swapping place would own the battery and you would just be paying for them to re-charge it. Same business model as the propane tank swap stations all over the place.

It still becomes an issue of getting every manufacturer to use the same battery. You can't even get them to agree on a charging model, you think they are going to agree on a battery style?

Another consideration, portable propane tanks were already a pretty standardize, mature product after a good many years, with little improvements in tank technology possible. Battery technology is evolving at such a rate, it would be hard to standardize.

I think one business model would be to design a car that would accept evolving battery technology. That would fly in the face of the technology business model. That would be akin to Apple or Samsung designing a phone that you could just swap a chip out every year or two to get the latest upgrade. Can you imagine not? Of course not. They have to require you to dump your current set of wheels in favor of the latest technology. However, a cell phone in the landfill every 2-3 years doesn't take near as much space as a Tesla.
Ya, another problem, if you think a propane tank is heavy... Have you seen the size of these ? I looked it up, the Tesla 85 kWh battery is 1200 lbs! 7100 little batteries that look like 18650's wired together.

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,898 Posts
GM Defense just built a mule using a Bolt EV motor/batteries, in their ISV Colorado:

GM Defense Creates Electric Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) Concept

View attachment 409451

It's my understanding that GM sells the electric motor as a whole crate package. You could always build your own. View attachment 409451
A lot of people don't remember but the military concept Colorado ZH2 was electric as well.

If you want actual range and comparable fuel fill times, HEV > BEV all day long.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I own a plug in hybrid (wife's car). The plug in has some real advantages - we do a lot of short trips with it and the car, which gets 45 MPG in gas mode on the highway, is averaging 92 MPG.

In winter, the battery life is crap and that is before one turns on the heater, which really takes a lot of power, further cutting range in EV mode to about 50% of what one could expect in Summer. In summer it is not bad at all though, the heat pump type A/C works great off battery power without bringing range down much. The cooling tech is definitely far more efficient than the simple resistance heating tech in EVs. In Winter, if going far at all, I just set it to run the engine as I feel it beats the Hell out of the car's small 7.2 kWh battery with a high draw rate to power both the car and the heater.

I can't imagine a pure electric is going to be great to live with in cold climates any time soon, at least not with current technology.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I can't imagine a pure electric is going to be great to live with in cold climates any time soon, at least not with current technology.
GM is actually doing some interesting things in their new BEV3 vehicles (Hummer, Lyric, Electric Silverardo) in constantly conditioning the batteries for all weather, especially extremely hot and extremely cold, it will be nice to see how it works out in real life.

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,898 Posts
Here is a photo composite of an Easter egg GM dropped a little while ago of the Chevy E truck.

View attachment 409067

Not sure of the details but this is what they showed. Kind of a Avalanche vibe. Could be based on the Hummer Set up with less of the added tech.

The nose is different and no one is sure if that is an EV nose or if it shares anything with the coming refresh.

It will be interesting to watch what happens.

The nose has a S10 look.
That nose looks familiar

21 - 40 of 49 Posts