Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will we get an all electric Colorado?

·
Registered
2017 Laser Blue extended cab 2WD WT (6-cylinder)
325 Posts
More likely than not. Just about everything is going that way.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,503 Posts
More likely than not. Just about everything is going that way.

Bollinger B2 Chassis Cab Is A Fleet Ready Electric Heavy Duty Truck

Volvo's Electric Semi Truck with 150 Miles of Range Coming in 2021

Tesla Semi

Big Rigs Begin to Trade Diesel for Electric Motors

Big Rigs Begin to Trade Diesel for Electric Motors (Published 2020)

Well if the are making Heavy Duty Trucks Electric....Light duty will also

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
IMO the current politicians will make it happen, gas will become so exspensive everyone will end up needing one. Car makers are all over electric too, I think they see the government rebates that will likely come as a good selling tool, not to mention unaffordable gasoline.

·
Registered
776 Posts
View attachment 409014

Tesla Semi

Big Rigs Begin to Trade Diesel for Electric Motors

Big Rigs Begin to Trade Diesel for Electric Motors (Published 2020)

Well if the are making Heavy Duty Trucks Electric....Light duty will also
A commercial truck’s value is based on how many end up in the Middle East as technicals.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well with GM going all electric I expect there will be some kind of mid sized electric truck at some point.

The first will be the full size truck as they already announced it is coming. Also the full size platform was designed to be gas or electric.

As of now most mfgs are planning to change over at various rates as to make ICE meet the future standards is going to drive cost of development even higher than it already is. The cost of EV models will get cheaper as time goes on.

Automakers are to the point in development they feel they will get charging times down, ranges up to where they need to be and after the initial EV models come out the following ones will have batteries that will cost much less as time goes on.

For the automakers it’s not about global warming but more profitable vehicles.

The government regs at this point are more about our political folks grandstanding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Where is all this electric going to come from ? There are already brown outs and black outs from normal electric use. Our present grid cannot handle a big surge in electric vehicles .

·
Registered
496 Posts
In my opinion, electric hasn't got to where it needs to be for northern climates. Battery life, although improving, still hasn't got to the point where you can heat a large cab and still operate in neg 30c weather. In the end sales will dictate where the industry goes. I just hope it is not our politicians that decide our direction. The consumer and citizens needs to dictate our directions, not our flawed political "leaders".

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Ext. Cab 2WD, V6
323 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
214 Posts
I'm sure they will, at some point, but not for a while yet. At the earliest I'd say the mid-generation refresh for the next generation (2023) Colorado/Canyon, so maybe putting it somewhere around 2025-6 at the earliest.

There are infrastructure concerns that need to be addressed first, though. At least locally, while we do have the occasional Tesla, there just isn't infrastructure for electric vehicles. Our electricity is per kw/hr is some of the highest in the country, and there are no charging stations to speak of. The instant torque of the electric drivetrain is nice, and I'd really consider buying an all electric vehicle at this point, part of me will miss the good old internal combustion engine. Thankfully, I don't think gas stations are going to go away anytime soon. There are a lot of old cars on the road, not to mention other things that need gasoline or diesel.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
ICE will be around for a while. For them to all age out will take decades.

Also a small segment of ICE will remain for some areas and applications. Mahle is working on 2-3 cylinders they will offer as a package to sell to mfgs for some limited applications.

Even the GM date is adjustable if needed based on their progress. Based on reports by the progress of the 3rd gen battery they should be doing well. Time will tell.

The bottom line is there are no absolutes here all this is flexible. The one absolute is EV will conti to grow and will be a major part of the market.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'm sure they will, at some point, but not for a while yet. At the earliest I'd say the mid-generation refresh for the next generation (2023) Colorado/Canyon, so maybe putting it somewhere around 2025-6 at the earliest.

There are infrastructure concerns that need to be addressed first, though. At least locally, while we do have the occasional Tesla, there just isn't infrastructure for electric vehicles. Our electricity is per kw/hr is some of the highest in the country, and there are no charging stations to speak of. The instant torque of the electric drivetrain is nice, and I'd really consider buying an all electric vehicle at this point, part of me will miss the good old internal combustion engine. Thankfully, I don't think gas stations are going to go away anytime soon. There are a lot of old cars on the road, not to mention other things that need gasoline or diesel.
The infrastructure is being addressed. They are going to turn the roads in to giant slot car tracks so range will no longer be an issue. The only problem will be you won't be able to pass the car in front of you until you come to a lane switch section. 🤪

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
745 Posts
Will happen sooner than later, and when it
does, the value of our trucks and others will take a dive.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The infrastructure is being addressed. They are going to turn the roads in to giant slot car tracks so range will no longer be an issue. The only problem will be you won't be able to pass the car in front of you until you come to a lane switch section. 🤪
No they have slotless track now. You just bounce off the walls along the road. Or trees like Tesla.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my opinion, electric hasn't got to where it needs to be for northern climates. Battery life, although improving, still hasn't got to the point where you can heat a large cab and still operate in neg 30c weather. In the end sales will dictate where the industry goes. I just hope it is not our politicians that decide our direction. The consumer and citizens needs to dictate our directions, not our flawed political "leaders".
With the way '$2/L Trudeau' is going, I will put up with cold weather shortcomings. So long as he keeps getting voted back in, gas prices and carbon taxes will keep skyrocketing.

If no Colorado, I will go with the new Silverado Electric in 5-6 years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the Power ratings at the wheels for the new hummer EV

Hummer Base
2 motor 16 module battery
- 625 HP 7,400 lb-ft
- 402km range

Hummer mid level
2 motor 20 module battery
- same power as base
- 482 km range

Hummer top
3 motor 20 module battery
- 830 HP 11,500 lb-ft
- 480km range.

Silverado EV 400mile/640km mile range - even at slightly less power, that's the way I'm going.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Here is the Power ratings at the wheels for the new hummer EV

Hummer Base
2 motor 16 module battery
- 625 HP 7,400 lb-ft
- 402km range

Hummer mid level
2 motor 20 module battery
- same power as base
- 482 km range

Hummer top
3 motor 20 module battery
- 830 HP 11,500 lb-ft
- 480km range.

Silverado EV 400mile/640km mile range - even at slightly less power, that's the way I'm going.
Note the Hummer truck vs SUV have different top HP and range. The Suv used a smaller battery and tune for 830 But the Truck is set to 1000 HP in WTF mode. They call it Watts to Freedom.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Here is a photo composite of an Easter egg GM dropped a little while ago of the Chevy E truck.

Not sure of the details but this is what they showed. Kind of a Avalanche vibe. Could be based on the Hummer Set up with less of the added tech.

The nose is different and no one is sure if that is an EV nose or if it shares anything with the coming refresh.

It will be interesting to watch what happens.

The nose has a S10 look.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love the fact that it uses the DC charger like Tesla, will fully charge in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
324 Posts
I will not get into the debate of whether or not going full EV right now is a good or bad thing, or whether or not we EVs are ready for the masses (they are not).

But yeah...an electric only Colorado (or whatever it will be named) is coming. "Ultium" is the name of the currently modular battery platform that GM is using now. It can be shrank or made larger to accommodate a very wide variety of vehicles, and there are multiple electric motors that can be used with it. For example, just in the past week GM's Mark Reuss said in a statement that the Ultium platform can be used to accommodate anything from the Hummer, down to a sports car.

That said, I don't think we'll see an electric only Colorado in this next generation. We might get a hybrid Colorado in the next gen. There is strong evidence that Ford will have a hybrid Ranger in the next gen and it will produce over 500lbs of torque. Don't quote me on that, but I have read it at a few difference sources. I personally feel that once the Colorado/Canyon go full EV on the Ultium or similar platform, that all of them will be electric. Otherwise, they'd have to produce the truck using two separate platforms...one that utilizes ICE and the other for battery only. The full size truck market can probably make a business case for that, but I don't think that the mid-size market can.

Here is a photo composite of an Easter egg GM dropped a little while ago of the Chevy E truck.

View attachment 409067

Not sure of the details but this is what they showed. Kind of a Avalanche vibe. Could be based on the Hummer Set up with less of the added tech.

The nose is different and no one is sure if that is an EV nose or if it shares anything with the coming refresh.

It will be interesting to watch what happens.

The nose has a S10 look.
I've seen that image also. That very well could be a test model for the new Silverado in the background there, or perhaps some sort of concept, or even just something made up for presentations like the one this image was captured from, but I really doubt that is THE Silverado EV in it's final look. It will need to maintain a rugged look. I'm not sure that front even does it...but who knows. Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts