Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
There's certainly a lot of options.

Here's another: An Evil MFG Dirt Kartel 3rd brake light replacement with a pair of Squadron S2 Pros @ 2400 lumens each, for 4800 lumens out back. This frees up your bed rails with a much cleaner install, as well as getting that usable light mounted up higher, throwing it further. With the S2 Pros added to the light bracket, the cost is around the other options you mention. Neat part is you don't lose any functionality of your existing third brake light, both cargo and brake light functions are retained by using the high intensity micro LEDs, 3 for braking, 2 for cargo.

I would worry less about what specific lights to use, and develop a lighting plan that meets all your use needs first. Once you have the layout and wiring plan, you can then pick and choose specifics. This is the one legit use for cheap **** Amazon LEDs.. to test your plan.

Can't find the lighting diagram I was looking for, but it had spot flood and driving light locations for an overland rig.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There's certainly a lot of options.
Here's another: An Evil MFG Dirt Kartel 3rd brake light replacement with a pair of Squadron S2 Pros @ 2400 lumens each, for 4800 lumens out back. This frees up your bed rails with a much cleaner install, as well as getting that usable light mounted up higher, throwing it further. With the S2 Pros added to the light bracket, the cost is around the other options you mention. Neat part is you don't lose any functionality of your existing third brake light, both cargo and brake light functions are retained by using the high intensity micro LEDs, 3 for braking, 2 for cargo.
Yeah i was actually looking at their brake light again today. I'm just not sure I'm willing to spend $650 just a reverse light set up when ill still need to get those BD front brackets too. (also, wiring that thing seems like a bitch. I already know I need a bit more front-side light and shoulder throw, so I know I need the A-pillar pods and I'm sure the C-4's would work fine, but I do like how the BD lights are more compact and re-configurable and 700 lumens brighter than the C-4s.. I also would like to get either the ADD honey badger or stealth fighter rear bumper or the AEV bison bumper because they all have cutouts for pods and that would be a nice relocation spot. Anyway, I'll stop shitting up your build thread now.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
AK Grey got some new tails, thanks to @spoonman. Got tired of chasing 7443 bulb burnouts and wanted some LED tails with the resistors built in.

Thinking about tinting the back of the 3RD brake light, rather than the lens, just to knock down some of that chrome look. I need a donor 3BL though, if any of you have one kicking around.

·
Super Moderator
3,942 Posts
They look good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
AK Grey got some new tails, thanks to @spoonman. Got tired of chasing 7443 bulb burnouts and wanted some LED tails with the resistors built in.

Thinking about tinting the back of the 3RD brake light, rather than the lens, just to knock down some of that chrome look. I need a donor 3BL though, if any of you have one kicking around.
Don’t know if this helps ya but I just ordered this to replace my 3rd brake light:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/15-18-Chevy-Colorado-Canyon-Housing/dp/B07H3M6W4L/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1546822032&sr=8-7&keywords=colorado+3rd+brake+light[/ame]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Removed the awkward cantilever bar light mount:

To be replaced with OZ-Tuning US clamp 1.75" mounts like the Diode Dynamics SS18 is using:

This reduced the light "bounce" pretty significantly, visibly noticeable here at the last couple seconds:

https://i.imgur.com/o3pcySJ.mp4

Adding @BajaDesigns Squadron Sports to existing wiring to be plug and play meant swapping the Weatherpac style BD connectors with the Deutsch Tech connectors that Rigid uses.

Streamlining butt connectors to double crimp and heatshrink after removing the plastic casing

Double crimped on each end, then heatshrink:

A short length of 1/4" heatshrink over top of all of the heatshrink and crimped wiring to hold everything in place with no abrasion and the DT plug:

BD combo lens pattern (vs Rigid Dually spot on the left) adds some wide throw on the bottom lens. Thinking this might be more helpful on the top two diodes to clear the hood and throw wide light a bit better, but more than likely doesn't matter in the overall:

Slightly warmer color temp than Rigid, as well:

After a lot more sanding, priming and painting than I like. Both the BD A pillar mount, and the BD light bracket were wire wheeled, metal etch primered, then painted with a lot of RustO bedliner coating. The same process minus the wire wheel was applied to the bezels, and with red RustO enamel.

Squadron disassembly notes: ensure that the reflector tabs are seated in the circuit board holes, if you don't the light will either not seal as you screw down the bezel, or you will crack the reflector if you crank on it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well well well, what have we here.. hello new project that fell in my lap.

I’m sure you will, but make sure to take pics and do a write up. This is on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Well, stumbled across a deal on some 18" Canyon wheels, with the intention of selling the tires and powdercoating them. Might go black and add a red accent a la Redline, or go "chrome" (shiny silver) again like I did with my last ZR2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
So my opinion of @Diode Dynamics quality is diminished, slightly. I have a less than one year old Stage Series 18 that is not fully lighting up. And the finish on the SS6s on either side is flaking after less than a year as well, not much longer than the Chinese lightbars they replaced. Granted I live in one of the harshest places on the planet, but still. I'll be PMing DD to see what steps to take next.

First picture is the SS18, for comparison, the second is the SS6.

Third and fourth pictures are finish.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,942 Posts
I would think heat would destroy them faster than cold.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts