Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Akicita's Tatanka Build

11K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  Akicita 
#1 ·
Happy Birthday

My wife purchased a 2020 ZR2 Bison in February 2020 for my Birthday. When she gave it to me on my birthday she asked – “Well. . . what are you going to do to this one?” “Nothing" I said - "its got all I need from the factory.” ----- well ---- I was wrong---- here we go with my build---

Truck Name: Tatanka

2020 ZR2 Bison
V-6 Gas / Automatic
Additional options from factory:
Premium Bose Audio System
Infotainment 3 Plus with Navigation
Dealer Installed Power Package (Performance Air Intake & CAT-Back Exhaust)
GMPP Front Level Kit and High Angle A-Arms
GMPP Tie-Rod Protective Sleeves

Tatanka (Lakota word for Bison "Great Beast")
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Mountain Bison Plant Muskox Snow

See less See more
#2 ·
"I Think We Need a Winch"

On our first backcountry ski trip with our Bison, we got stuck when I slid into a drainage break on a jeep trail near the Never Summer Range in Central Colorado. Completely driver error on my part as I have been on this trail dozens of times in lesser vehicles. We dug, jacked, rocked, fiddled, and farted for an hour or so until we finally got out. As we piled ourselves into the truck sweaty and tired my wife looked at me and said very matter of factly . . . . “Honey, I think we need a winch”. . .
Little did she know that those six words would be the beginning of the transformation of my 20 ZR2 Bison to – Tatanka! As the pandemic started gripping the nation I put the winch off for a few months. When thing settled down a bit I found myself consistently working on Tatanka as a distraction from the challenges that we all faced that year.
First DIY mods:
AEV Lower Lower Bumper Section
AEV ZR2 Bison Winch Mount
Com-Up 9.5 Slimline Winch & Synthetic Cable
Factor 55 Flat Link
Rough Country 30” Single Row Curved Light Bar
Maxtrax Traction Boards (4)
GP Factor Maxtrax Mount
X-Monster Kinetic Rope
Soft Shackles (3)
Factor 55 Shackle Pulley
Recovery Straps
Boulder Tools Tire Repair Kit
Boulder Tools Air Deflators
GOOLOO 4000A Car Jump Starter
RotoPax 3 Gal Fuel Cans (2) Blemished
RotoPax 3 Gal Locking Mount (2)
Viair HD Onboard Air Compressor and 2.5 Gallon Tank
While I had the grill out I painted the Chevrolet letters red, de-badged all the chrome and re-badged with black and red badges. I also added some red accent pinstripe to the hood.

Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

#3 ·
"Hey Check This Out "

While researching winches and other recovery items I needed for our backcountry outings I came across an article with a picture of a Toyota Tacoma with an Alu Cab Canopy Camper on it. . . Naturally, the first thing I thought of was - I need this on my truck - “Hey, check this out” – I shouted to my wife. It was an article highlighting a Tacoma build in South Africa for a surfer with an Alu Cab Canopy camper. Not a surfer but I was intrigued. I told my wife this would make a great basecamp sleeper for our mountain expeditions. I would love to say she immediately agreed but she didn’t. So after much deliberation and a visit to see one in person she agreed, and I put an order in on one from a local dealer.
Alu Cab Canopy Camper
Options:
Shadow Awning
Molle Mounts on Rear
Spare Tire Carrier
Aluminum Folding Table and Carrier
Pre Wire for Solar

Five Months from South Africa to Colorado

Land vehicle Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Motor vehicle

#4 · (Edited)
"Wow That Goose Gear Stuff Is Expensive"

My wife and I have led a pretty minimalist backcountry lifestyle for most of our lives. Growing up in the mountains of Colorado we have learned the older we get the lighter we must travel and less gear we can physically carry. When the camper finally arrived after a long wait from Africa and after careful inspection, the first thing she asked is – “Where are we going to put everything?” – “Hmmm,” I said. “Well we could just throw our packs back here and we can toss in a couple of water jugs over there.” - “Hmmm” she replied. “Well, if we have all this room now, can’t we bring a few more things since the truck is carrying the load and not us? Maybe a cooler with some cold beers and some real pillows instead of those inflatable ones?” - “Sure!” I exclaimed. “Well, I could get some of those Goose Gear cabinets and maybe add a solar-charged battery to run one of those cool portable refrigerators like Jimmy has in his boat -and-and-and-and, how about I insulate it and add some kind of heater? We haven’t camped with a heater since the kids were babies in your parent's pop-up tent camper!” - “Yeah, you should do that!” – she replied. . . “what are you standing around for? Get on that!” – she yelled. . .
I started researching the Goose Gear rear seat delete for the Colorado and Goose Gear camper boxes designed for the Canopy Camper. I will be the first to say that Goose Gear makes great stuff, but I couldn’t hide what it would cost to order this stuff from my wife. “Wow, that Goose Gear stuff is expensive!” – she said when I showed her the prices. “Hell, you could make that in your shop, couldn’t you?” – she asked. “I’m sure I could. . . but when am I going to find the time?” – I replied. “Well, I guess I could pick up a few of your chores and cover for you at the office for a few days.” – she said. “Well. . . if you can do that, I think could get it done in a week or two. . . No. . . that would be asking too much of you. Why don’t I just order it from Goose Gear?” – I asked. “No way! You order the materials you need and get it done. I’ll do your chores and cover for you at the office until your done.”- she insisted. “Well. . . okay. . . if you insist.” (chuckle- chuckle)
Yahoo!!! No chores and hanging out in my shop building stuff. . . the seat delete, cabinets, solar wiring, and interior insulation and other comfort items. I added a propane tank and Mr. Heater Buddy heater to it. Also picked up a refurbished Goal Zero Yeti 1000 Watt battery generator from Goal zero and wired in all the camper lights and other accessories.
Sports equipment Snow Tree Slope Sky
Cloud Sky Mountain Snow Ski Equipment
Snow Mountain Sky Cloud Slope

Wood Floor Asphalt Composite material Flooring

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Window Wood Table Flooring Engineering

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

#8 ·
"How’s It Hanging"

With most of the camper buildout done we decided we needed to go out on a “shakedown cruise”. We loaded up necessary gear and water and headed for nearby Forest Service Access. As we started up the road, rough from Spring run-off it was apparent that the Bison had much lower clearance than our previous Jeep Rubicon. “What was that?”- my wife asked as we drug over the ruts of the road. “Uhhhh, I think it’s those rear shock mounts that hang so low dragging on the rocks” – I replied. “That doesn’t sound good. You’re going to have to do something about that. Would a lift help?” – she asked. “It would but I don’t want to go too much higher than it is now or it might not fit in the garage. It sure is nice having it in the garage out of the Winter weather and Spring hail storms.” – I said. “Well, when we get home, we need to see how much clearance we have so you can figure out a way to get more clearance so we can get up and down the trails we like to travel.”- she demanded. “Okay-okay, I’ll get right on that.
Suspension Mods
Peak Add-A-Leaf
Peak 1” Riser Block
Timbren Active Off-Road Bump Stops
589 Rear Shock Relocate
AEV 33” Fender Trim Kit
AEV Crestone Wheels
BFG KM3 Mud Terrain Tires 285/70/17

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Urban design Wood Engineering Tablecloth Event
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Flooring Asphalt
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

#9 · (Edited)
Philámayaye (Thank You)

The extent of my build has taken place over the last year and a half and I believe I am at a point where I can comfortably say it’s complete. My build certainly wouldn’t have been done without the unwavering support and love of my wife. For that and the support she has shown me these last 35 years I say. . . Cántecikiyá Philámayaye (Thank You My Love)
I also want to thank all of you on ColoradoFans who have provided great information, advice, and encouragement with your “likes”. I have much to owe to many so please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about my build, gear, and equipment I travel with.

Smile Shoe Plant Mammal Tree
Sky Cloud Atmosphere Mountain Tableware
Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Ecoregion
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car
Ecoregion Plant Vehicle Tree Sky
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Cloud Sky

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

#10 ·
Wait-What!!!!

How much did it cost?

Here is the breakdown of the major cost of my build. This does not include the everyday loadout gear that we take with us on any given outing. Tatanka is ready to go with a full 10 day load out of food water and supplies. All of the work was done by me and some done by me with the help of my wife and friends. The cost breakdown reflects this in anything I paid to have done or installed.

Truck 20 Colorado ZR2 Bison (Purchased February 2020) $47,300.00
Dealer installed GMPP Cat Back Exhaust (Included)
Dealer Installed GMPP Cold Air Intake (Included)
Dealer Installed GMPP Level Kit with Upper A-Arms $1223.00 / Parts & Labor
Total $48,523.00
Truck Accessories

AEV Low Tube Bumper Center Section $399.00
AEV ZR2 Bison Winch Mount $249.00
Come-Up 9.5 Slimline Winch and Synthetic Cable $716.00
Factor 55 FlatLink $99.00
Rough Country 30” Single Row Curved Light Bar $199.00
Viair HD Onboard Air Compressor and 2.5 Gallon Tank $344.00
DIY Rear Seat Delete Deck $285.00 (Parts & Materials)
Expedition Essentials CPAM Ram Mount $185.00
Pro Clip Cell Phone Holder $44.00
AEV 33” Tire Fender Trim Kit $129.00
589 Fabrication Rear Shock Relocate $325.00
Timbren Active Off-Road Bumb Stops (Front & Rear) $420.00
Peak Off Road ZR2 1” Riser Block $150.00
Peak Off Road Add-A-Leaf $165.00
AEV Crestone Wheels (5) $1525.00
AEV Creston Wheel Protectors $600.00
BFG KM3 Mud Terrain 285/70/17 (5) $1510.00
Total $6744.00
Alu Cab Canopy Camper $14,681.00

Shadow Awning (Included)
Pre-Wire for Solar (Included)
Entry Door Spare Tire Carrier (Included)
Rear MOLLE Panels (Included)
Shipping (Included)
Install Fitment Kit (Included)
Installation (Included)
Aluminum Table & Storage Rack (Included)
Total $14,681.00
Alu Cab Canopy Camper / Buildout and Accessories

DIY Bed Floor Decking $85.00
DIY Cabinet Buildout $225.00
DIY Insulation and Liner Trim $120.00
GP Factor Table $300.00
Blue Ridge Overland Velcro Bags $275.00
Goal Zero Yeti 1000W Power Station $850.00
Goal Zero MPPT Solar Module $150.00
Overland Solar 170W Flexible Solar Panel $470.00
Blue Sea Switch $45.00
Dometic CFX 28 Fridge $729.00
Misc. Electrical $75.00
Front Runner 10 L Bulkhead Water Tank ` $250.00
12V Water Pump and Plumbing $55.00
Expedition Essentials Propane Bottle Mount $140.00
Total $3769.00

Off Road Gear and Recovery Gear
Maxtrax Traction Boards (4) $600.00
GP Factor Maxtrax Mount $269.00
X-Monster Kinetic Rope $109.00
Soft Shackles (3) $105.00
Factor 55 Shackle Pulley $110.00
Recovery Straps $55.00
Boulder Tools Tire Repair Kit $38.00
Boulder Tools Air Deflators $35.00
GOOLOO 4000A Car Jump Starter $140.00
RotoPax 3 Gal Fuel Cans (2) Blemished $100.00 ($50 each)
RotoPax 3 Gal Locking Mount (2) $70.00
Total $1631.00
GRAND TOTAL $75,348.00

#34 ·
Wait-What!!!!

How much did it cost?

Here is the breakdown of the major cost of my build. This does not include the everyday loadout gear that we take with us on any given outing. Tatanka is ready to go with a full 10 day load out of food water and supplies. All of the work was done by me and some done by me with the help of my wife and friends. The cost breakdown reflects this in anything I paid to have done or installed.

Truck 20 Colorado ZR2 Bison (Purchased February 2020) $47,300.00
Dealer installed GMPP Cat Back Exhaust (Included)
Dealer Installed GMPP Cold Air Intake (Included)
Dealer Installed GMPP Level Kit with Upper A-Arms $1223.00 / Parts & Labor
Total $48,523.00
Truck Accessories

AEV Low Tube Bumper Center Section $399.00
AEV ZR2 Bison Winch Mount $249.00
Come-Up 9.5 Slimline Winch and Synthetic Cable $716.00
Factor 55 FlatLink $99.00
Rough Country 30” Single Row Curved Light Bar $199.00
Viair HD Onboard Air Compressor and 2.5 Gallon Tank $344.00
DIY Rear Seat Delete Deck $285.00 (Parts & Materials)
Expedition Essentials CPAM Ram Mount $185.00
Pro Clip Cell Phone Holder $44.00
AEV 33” Tire Fender Trim Kit $129.00
589 Fabrication Rear Shock Relocate $325.00
Timbren Active Off-Road Bumb Stops (Front & Rear) $420.00
Peak Off Road ZR2 1” Riser Block $150.00
Peak Off Road Add-A-Leaf $165.00
AEV Crestone Wheels (5) $1525.00
AEV Creston Wheel Protectors $600.00
BFG KM3 Mud Terrain 285/70/17 (5) $1510.00
Total $6744.00
Alu Cab Canopy Camper $14,681.00

Shadow Awning (Included)
Pre-Wire for Solar (Included)
Entry Door Spare Tire Carrier (Included)
Rear MOLLE Panels (Included)
Shipping (Included)
Install Fitment Kit (Included)
Installation (Included)
Aluminum Table & Storage Rack (Included)
Total $14,681.00
Alu Cab Canopy Camper / Buildout and Accessories

DIY Bed Floor Decking $85.00
DIY Cabinet Buildout $225.00
DIY Insulation and Liner Trim $120.00
GP Factor Table $300.00
Blue Ridge Overland Velcro Bags $275.00
Goal Zero Yeti 1000W Power Station $850.00
Goal Zero MPPT Solar Module $150.00
Overland Solar 170W Flexible Solar Panel $470.00
Blue Sea Switch $45.00
Dometic CFX 28 Fridge $729.00
Misc. Electrical $75.00
Front Runner 10 L Bulkhead Water Tank ` $250.00
12V Water Pump and Plumbing $55.00
Expedition Essentials Propane Bottle Mount $140.00
Total $3769.00

Off Road Gear and Recovery Gear

Maxtrax Traction Boards (4) $600.00
GP Factor Maxtrax Mount $269.00
X-Monster Kinetic Rope $109.00
Soft Shackles (3) $105.00
Factor 55 Shackle Pulley $110.00
Recovery Straps $55.00
Boulder Tools Tire Repair Kit $38.00
Boulder Tools Air Deflators $35.00
GOOLOO 4000A Car Jump Starter $140.00
RotoPax 3 Gal Fuel Cans (2) Blemished $100.00 ($50 each)
RotoPax 3 Gal Locking Mount (2) $70.00
Total $1631.00
GRAND TOTAL $75,348.00
Not sure how I did it but I "mashed" my rear differential cover on the Moab Trail2 last week. . . Amazingly I was able to get an AEV cover on a same day shipment from Amazon. It arrived at a delivery location in town so I grabbed some gear oil from a local shop and bolted it on in one of our overnight sites and continued on the trails the next day. . . Adds $250.00 for the AEV Cover to this total - $75,598.00

Plant Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread

#12 ·
Nice looking rig.
Good posts, should help others, the price breakdown is one that not many post.

#19 ·
Thank you!
I have added a few small odds & ends so it is probably closer to 76k now. . . no regrets and looking forward to many years of hard use. Will most likely be re-gearing as the next big mod.

#13 ·
Love the pictures and commentary. Fun read.

What did you paint the (I assume) baltic birch with ?

#16 ·
Love the pictures and commentary. Fun read.

What did you paint the (I assume) baltic birch with ?
I used 2 coats of the Raptor Liner roll-on. It has held up incredibly well under very heavy use.

Flooring Wood Building Urban design House

#18 ·
Duuude that was an entertaining read. Nice work on your truck. I really like the ski mounts. My 188s only fit sideways in the bed otherwise I’d steal your idea. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Those are my 185 x 108 Blizzard G-Zeros - the tails fit in the cabover section of the canopy camper with a few inches to spare to get them in and out.

Reactions: Skrongbed
#21 ·
First off, Amazing Rig! Will use this as inspiration as I slowly continue my build. Curious, what was the other truck in the garage next to Tatanka?

#22 ·
Thanks so much for writing that up! As I said in an earlier post... Goals. I just bought a Super Pacfic wedge camper and have plans to build out the interior similar to what you did so I'm really interested in your cabinet design and seat delete. If you've got a template for that seat delete - I'd love to copy it. Two points for copy, one point for create - I always say

#28 · (Edited)
I started with a cardboard template and then made a 1/4 plywood template from the cardboard one to make fine adjustments and for test fitting. I used a flush-bit router and the 1/4 template to shape the actual 1/2 plywood deck.

I saved the plywood template so I could trace a paper copy of it on heavy paper and send it to you. I am happy to share the process I went through to make it when you start yours. I would also consider making a complete deck (less the Raptor Liner finish) for you if we can determine if shipping one to you is pragmatic.

Light Car Vehicle Trunk Motor vehicle

Table saws Table Wood Floor Flooring

Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black

Flooring Rectangle Wood Engineering Composite material

Property Wood Floor Flooring Engineering
Road surface Bumper Rectangle Asphalt Automotive exterior
Fixture Composite material Gas Wood Metal
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Tread
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Automotive tire Bag Grey

#30 ·
Thanks so much for sharing all of the great details and photos of your impressive build! I really like the Alu-cab canopy design too, and after using my Super Pacific camper for a bit I can see why the rear-end tailgate design on the Alu-cab is much better. However for my use of the truck, the traditional tailgate and window door work fine as I don't camp as much as I would like to. My build is more focused on daily drivability/usability and occasional play :)

#31 ·
@Akicita, do you have a link to the latches you used ? Also, what was the thought behind this gap ?

Fixture Grey Gas Composite material Machine

#32 ·
Reactions: Y E T I
#40 ·
I'm following this for my own build. I just found another t-slot supplier that appears to be way cheaper, and free shipping over $50. One thing about 8020, their shipping is a rip off. They wanted $20 to ship items that I could ship myself on UPS for $10. They swore to me they didn't have a markup. I told them they probably needed a better negotiator!

Anyway, no experience with this place yet but the site and selection are quite good. Better than T-nutz on pricing

#49 ·
Update: Nitro 4:10 Gears Installed / New England Gear Polishing REM treatment.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Dropped my truck off at Colorado Axle & Gear at on Tuesday June 28th and they called me at 1415 in the afternoon to tell me my truck was done!!! These guys (Father & Son) did an excellent job and were very meticulous setting up my gears. I would recommend them to anyone in the Colorado front range and beyond. They warned me the REM polishing would make the already by reputation Nitro gears louder. This is exactly the opposite of what NEGP said. They did agree they would require less break-in and would run cooler.

I picked up my truck at 1600 and took a few minutes to re-flash my Trifecta tune and speedo for the new gears. I hit rush hour traffic on my way home but this is what I observed so far on a 48 mile drive home:

Speeds 0-30 - I can hear an audible whine at constant throttle and deceleration but not during acceleration. I cannot hear it with the windows down and unless I was listening for it I wouldn't notice it over the "throaty" drone of my GMPP cat back exhaust and BFG KM3 tire noise.

30 - 50 - I can't hear the whine at these speeds at all over my exhaust during acceleration, deceleration and cruising speeds. I can hear a very faint whine on deceleration and I think this is because I am off the throttle and the exhaust noise is minimal, but I have to focus and concentrate to hear it. If I didn't know what to listen for I certainly wouldn't notice it at all.

Above 50 - I flat out can't hear it at all. . .

First impressions - "Frustrations are results of mismanaged expectations."

My biggest expectation and desire for this upgrade was for a performance gain in highway cruising speeds and lower torque under less throttle during "4-Low" off-roading. During the very short first drive in-town and on highway the performance have certainly met and exceeded my expectations. It is no longer hunting for gears and the torque curve through all the gears are much more responsive and noticeable. The tranny is shifting up through and down through the gears as I imagined it should have from stock but never did. I am confident I will get a slight MPG boost the way my truck is configured and can't wait to get off-road to try it out.

I expected the Nitro's to be a little noisy but I honestly thought they would be louder. In full disclosure I am hard of hearing from countless small arms fire, mid and high explosive ordinance and numerous under water demolitions however I can honestly and without bias say that if someone that did not know I did this upgrade were to jump in my truck and ride with the windows up and the radio off they wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary. My wife who is a very experienced in all things 4wd and truck related looked at me shrugged her shoulders and said . . . "you annoy more than the little bit of gear noise I can hear, so I definitely can live with it, and ignore it like I have done with you for the last 35 years!"

All kidding aside - I hardly notice it and can certainly live with it too. I will be working to get another 500 miles of short trips on it checking the differential temps every 50 miles or so to be sure they don't go above 190. I'll be sure to post updates and experiences as I do this. I believe I wouldn't be able to hear any of the noise if I would not have done the polish and REM treatment. For me this is a fair compromise for the easier break-in and cooler temps under the heavy load and heavy off-road use Tatanka gets.

Cost:
Nitro Gears and Master Install Kit $1042.00
Install Labor / Colorado Axle & Gear $1700.00
Misc. Parts not included in Kit $56.00
Total Cost $2798.00

New Tatanka Build Total $78,146.00 +/-

#50 ·
I got to meet Akicita and Tatanka today. To say that Tatanka is impressive is an understatement. We went for a drive and I could barely hear the gears (not that my hearing is any better than Akicita's) and really only with the windows down. After checking out his truck, I really want an Alu-Cab (although may get an GFC) and a performance exhaust. Oh, and Akicita is a pretty cool guy who works with some cool people and toys! :ROFLMAO: It was great spending time with you Brother.

#51 · (Edited)
Hey Yeti, it was great meeting you too. I'm glad we could connect and I hope we can do so again sometime maybe out on the trail. Crazy how small our world is that brought you to Colorado and the coincidences in mutual people we know and lifestyles we share.

Looking forward to watching your build as it progresses and the canopy you choose. Hope I can help you with that journey as much as many here, including you have helped me with Tatanka.
Smile Bird People T-shirt Baseball cap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.