Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth it? Or a paper weight. What are some good choices as far as easy install and performance? This would be for my 18 ZR2.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just ordered an s&b intake to hopefully help with my level kit and wheel spacers. Hoping more flow will reduce the downshifts and higher highway speeds. I also went for the paper filter over the oiled. May end up tuning it eventually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The OEM air box can flow more air the 220 cu in motor would ever need, tuned or not. Drop in a free flowing aftermarket filter and you are GTG.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Thank you. I figured our intakes were plenty good. Just ordered a AEM Dry flow filter to drop in and call it good.
Let us know how the AEM Dry Panel Filter does. I have one still in the box for over a year. Will install it one day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the S&B and I really like it. It sounds nice and it does run better with it. I have a tune though so that helps take advantage of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sweet. What tune are you on and was there any increase in mpg at all?

I'm using Trifecta for tuning.

As far as mpg goes, I can't really say. I don't really pay much attention to it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm using Trifecta for tuning.

As far as mpg goes, I can't really say. I don't really pay much attention to it.
Ok. Cool. How much do those tunes go for and can you reflash for when you take it to the dealer? Little worried about that and the warranty

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok. Cool. How much do those tunes go for and can you reflash for when you take it to the dealer? Little worried about that and the warranty

There are 3 different versions of the tune. $329 for the advantage, $398 for the advantage+, and $688 for the elite. www.trifectaperformance.com

You can flash it back to stock if you are worried about warranty issues. I would suggest spending some time on their website and you'll find some very useful information there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I installed an S & B intake on my 2019 ZR2 and immediately saw almost a 2 MPG gain. No tune, so not really a paperweight. I don't think you'll really see/feel any big performance gains without a tune, but I mainly did it for the MPG bump. You hear it for this intake for sure.. LOL. Maybe there are similar gains with a drop in, I'm not sure, but I'm totally happy with my S & B purchase.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Hell Yes!!! Another chance to post my favorite link to a great air filter test.

WORTHLESS, unless you just want to add dirt to your engine. Just use paper people!

https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

These air filter companies do one thing really well though,
marketing.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts

Sorry it will void the power train warranty. Even if you flash it back. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not if they can't see it. Trifecta tune is transparent. I know, I've had it at the dealer and they had no idea...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I don't think the in or out is restrictive on these vehicles.
I don't see much room for improvement over OE.
Remember, there needs to be a specific air filter density to provide the vacuum necessary for the PCV to flow.
Open it up too much, the engine case wont breathe without assistance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're not going to see much gains with any mod other than forced induction on these trucks. You might pick up less than 5hp/tq with an intake or exhaust at peak without a tune. It's not going to be that noticeable in day to day driving.

However, if someone makes a blanket statement that all intakes and all exhausts are worthless for these trucks, I would note that person's opinion and ignore most of the advice coming from said person from that point on. There are dyno sheets out there from companies and end users proving otherwise. Again, gains are minimal without a tune. Even with a tune, gains at peak aren't that much but you do gain pretty significantly in certain places in the power band.

I would welcome anyone to go for a ride in my truck coming from a stock truck. The difference is pretty noticeable. So, if you're located near Columbus, Ohio and want to go for a ride....send a PM :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not if they can't see it. Trifecta tune is transparent. I know, I've had it at the dealer and they had no idea...
I can't speak to Trifecta specifically, but depending on the tuner and the ECM, many tuners leave electronic fingerprints. In some cases, it's code, in others the ECM records each time it's flashed. Your dealer may not have seen it this time, but I'd be very careful about it.

I don't think the in or out is restrictive on these vehicles.
I don't see much room for improvement over OE.
Remember, there needs to be a specific air filter density to provide the vacuum necessary for the PCV to flow.
Open it up too much, the engine case wont breathe without assistance.
Pretty much this. This isn't 30 years ago. The naturally aspirated V6 is making 308 horsepower from 217 cubic inches, which was unheard of until not too long ago.

Buy an exhaust or "intake" because you like the look or the sound. Don't expect noticeable gains from them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can't speak to Trifecta specifically, but depending on the tuner and the ECM, many tuners leave electronic fingerprints. In some cases, it's code, in others the ECM records each time it's flashed. Your dealer may not have seen it this time, but I'd be very careful about it.

I appreciate the concern and the last thing I want to do is void a warranty. Trifecta is aware and they do some special considerations to make sure it is clean (don’t really want to give away all the secrets on a public forum).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
67 Replies
22 Participants
GregDAP
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing