Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just took mine off the Canyon. Took me 50 minutes, and 10 of that was washing the crap out of my eyes that broke loose when I was laying under the inner fender well screws. I flipped the downward facing screws and clips around that were previously mentioned. Also here's a tip:
When you're trying to get the 2 hard to reach screws behind the tow hooks, Go ahead and take out the 2 torx screws that are also near the tow hooks that hold the actual bumper to the metal supports. This will allow you to flex the bumper/air dam down and give you a bit more room. I still had to use a 1/4" wrench to turn the torx bit, but it was slightly easier. Those 2 screws on the air dam near the tow hooks at what took the majority of my time.

Reactions: CanyoneroKev

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just removed my air dam from my truck.. and hot damn that was a challenge.. got all of the bolts and torx bolts out (40 mins for that), except for my right most torx screw... and that last one.... stripped. after 30 minutes of futzing with that last one, i got it out.. SOME HOW... and while there are 2 things left for me to do (turn some bolts around) I got it off and damn does that make the truck look better

·
Registered
939 Posts
Reactions: fondupot

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm worn out just reading this thread..............

The only reason I'd take my air dam off is for astatic reasons. If I do decide to take it off I'll definitely have the easiest method. When my son arrives I'll pass him the tools and tell him there is a 6 pack of his favorite beer in the fridge when he's done.

Good thing he loves me!
Gusto!

·
Registered
486 Posts
The dealer is going to remove mine at no cost to me when the truck arrives. It doesn't get any easier than that....:wink2:
Mine came from the factory without one. :grin2:

Reactions: F8LZ71

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grabbed my '18 off the lot about a week or so ago, and upon discovering all the threads and videos dedicated to the removal of this thing I figured I'd give it a shot.

Pro tip: don't get excited and try to start this 20 minutes before dusk (no garage for me). I spent the better part of an hour with my head lamp on underneath the front bumper. Not pictured: 29 black screws/washers scattered on my driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I removed mine last week. I pulled mine off by hand, about 2 minutes time, took a little grunting. Then I pulled out the grinder and took care of those peskie long bolts, about 5 minutes to complete that.

front truck.jpg

- Preston

·
Registered
1 Posts
@fondupot - Thanks, your video was great, and gave me the push needed to take it off this weekend. That thing had bugged me since I bought it, and living in the mountains it was sure to get beat up. Really glad I did it so soon, less than 3 months after purchasing. Seems like all those torx could have gotten really grimy with more winter driving around town, and desert driving this spring, which would have really made the job more of a pain.

Appreciate these forums, some good help out there!

Cheers

Reactions: fondupot

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm worn out just reading this thread..............

The only reason I'd take my air dam off is for astatic reasons. If I do decide to take it off I'll definitely have the easiest method. When my son arrives I'll pass him the tools and tell him there is a 6 pack of his favorite beer in the fridge when he's done.

Good thing he loves me!
Gusto!

Our local Chevy dealer where I bought my truck works on all makes / models of vehicles. Yesterday picked up my wife's 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, purchased new now has 199,965 miles, from my dealer. Had to get a new right front wheel bearing, new radiator hoses, clamps and oil change. After paying the bill $$$ I set up an appointment to get the oil changed on my truck. I then asked him, "After spending all this coin to fix my wife's car would you remove my air dam when you change the oil w/o charging me?" His response. "Yes." YEAH!

Like many others, driving in snow has been a pain. These air dams are a lot lower than you'd expect. Bumping up against those small walls of snow in a parking lot after the snow plow has gone by has caused me concern. I told him he could keep it once removed. LOL - he really didn't seem interested.

Gusto!

Last Sept 2017 said I'd only remove for "looks" and my son would remove it. Now Jan 2018 after driving in snow it seems like a good idea. But now the dealer will remove it.

BTW - my son still is still looking for the beer.

Gusto!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Colorado - Air Dam Removal

Tools Needed:
1/4 inch ratchet
1/4 inch socket
7 mm socket
T15 x 1 inch torx insert bit

Procedure:
1. Remove semi-triangular shaped waffle pattern plastic just before each front wheel and attached to fender skirt. Remove the 6 torx and 1 7mm bolt, twist slightly and pull out each.
2. Remove all remaining torx bolts holding on the air dam. Sometimes it helps to slightly bend the plastic to get the torx bit correctly engaged.

Pretty simple, just a lot of small torx bolts. I find it helps to put a little tape on the torx bit to make it stay in the 1/4 inch socket. The tools were all from a common craftsman set but any should work. You may need to lift the front slightly although I did not have to with 1" level installed. There is a lot of incorrect information on air dam removal out there - beware and drive it like you stole it.
UGH....you mofo's got me deep into this now, one last screw I'm having a hard time getting out! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I may try to tackle this Sunday morning. Then again I may wait until it gets cooler.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes this is a OLDY.Revised Edition ? I looked under the sea of plastic's.First truck without a chrome bumper.This dam kinda stiffens and ties the hole assembly together.The lower wheel wells have a square plate on each side attached to the dam.Looks like a bastard.Now i see why some have trimmed it.
When it's removed do you notice the loss of rigidity or strength among the lower bumper and wheel wells?
This is a 2019 Canyon All Terrain

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a Colorado, so the Canyon might be different, however I would guess it's not. I haven't noticed any rigidity or strength difference since removing mine. I personally don't think the air dam provides much strength by the way it is installed. I believe the square plate you're talking to is what many refer to as the "waffle" plate. That's pretty easy to remove and then replace to take the air dam off. In my opinion the worst part of removing the air dam is the torx screws in the middle. They're the hardest to reach and you have to maneuver around the air dam to get to them.

Reactions: dale #3

·
Registered
128 Posts
I removed the air dam and installed skid plates this weekend on my Canyon. The middle screws were the hardest but not impossible, just be patient and leave the tempting sawzall out of sight. I used a small ratcheting bit driver for most of the work and then for the 2 hard ones I actually needed to use a 1/4" ratcheting box wrench with the torx bit. Clearance was TIGHT, but I got them out. No loss in rigidity as the bottom of the bumper is held securely by the "waffle" plates on both sides as well as a couple other spots along the bottom. I didn't even need to remove the waffles, just undid the 3 T bolts in the wheel well, the 2 T bolts underneath, and then loosened the 7mm bracket bolt. The whole thing kinda hinged on the 7mm bolt and I was able to get in there with my tools. Once you remove the dam you will see how flexible it is and understand that this flappy piece of aero-plastic does nothing for the structural integrity of the front end :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks you guys 2 excellent posts ? Gonna wait for a warm day to get aggravated.Chance of that snow **** tomorrow.I know heat helps plastic for disassembly.Might have get the GUN OUT...Thanks ?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts