Discussion Starter #1
Colorado - Air Dam Removal

Tools Needed:
1/4 inch ratchet
1/4 inch socket
7 mm socket
T15 x 1 inch torx insert bit

Procedure:
1. Remove semi-triangular shaped waffle pattern plastic just before each front wheel and attached to fender skirt. Remove the 6 torx and 1 7mm bolt, twist slightly and pull out each.
2. Remove all remaining torx bolts holding on the air dam. Sometimes it helps to slightly bend the plastic to get the torx bit correctly engaged.

Pretty simple, just a lot of small torx bolts. I find it helps to put a little tape on the torx bit to make it stay in the 1/4 inch socket. The tools were all from a common craftsman set but any should work. You may need to lift the front slightly although I did not have to with 1" level installed. There is a lot of incorrect information on air dam removal out there - beware and drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i dont see how this is " the easy way" unless you cut the thing off its the only way to get to all the bolts

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is the same way I did mine and it took about 45 minutes. the torx bit in a short socket make it pretty easy

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Some of us tend to prefer to take the least destructive manner to work on things. About the only time I resort to destructive techniques to disassemble an item I plan on keeping, like my truck, is to drill out rivets.

Patience is a virtue that we all seem to be short of these days.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess when it's 20 below, I'll drive into an icy snow bank this winter and pull out really fast I'll get the same result. After that I'll get a skid plat installed.

I'll be honest, this is what I expected to see when I opened the post. But only because that's how I (unintentionally) removed the air dam on my Jeep Grand Cherokee when I had that.

I just dedicated an hour to take the air dam off correctly on my Collie.

·
Registered
88 Posts
YAY !!!!!! ANOTHER AIR DAM THREAD !!!:shock:
Meh...to be expected. Go to chevy.com and they show a Camaro and Colorado next to each other as car/truck of the year. The Camaro has a better approach angle/clearance than the 'truck'....

Reactions: CrashFix

·
Registered
440 Posts
the easy way was a zip disk, no one would ever put it back on once removed

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm thinking of taking mine off too

I'll be honest, this is what I expected to see when I opened the post. But only because that's how I (unintentionally) removed the air dam on my Jeep Grand Cherokee when I had that.

I just dedicated an hour to take the air dam off correctly on my Collie.
What method did you use? Same as BILLAz71? Did you raise the front? Any special tools/techniques? Were the screws heads side up? Did you use an inspection mirror? THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I drove my truck up on my ramps and did it similar to OP. I loosened the screws holding part of the wheel liners and from there I was able to access the side mounts of the air dam. The middle ones are fairly easy, although two of them are behind something. I don't remember exactly. But overall with some patience you can get it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lifting? An hour? WTF trucks are you guys getting? It took me 20 minutes with a ratcheting offset screwdriver, with the truck sitting on the ground... I had to remove 4 screws to lower the mounting piece to get access to a couple screws, and that was the only "difficult" part. Then I spent about 2.5 minutes reversing the nut clips so if I ever want to put the air dam back on, it'll be 2 minutes with a drill.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lifting? An hour? WTF trucks are you guys getting? It took me 20 minutes with a ratcheting offset screwdriver, with the truck sitting on the ground... I had to remove 4 screws to lower the mounting piece to get access to a couple screws, and that was the only "difficult" part. Then I spent about 2.5 minutes reversing the nut clips so if I ever want to put the air dam back on, it'll be 2 minutes with a drill.
Photos and a step-by-step would be greatly appreciated, especially a photo of the "mounting piece".

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
If I ever get a couple of hours of time on a weekend where I can do this, I think I am going to remove it, flip the clips, and remount, just so I can see what all this fuss is about.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If I ever get a couple of hours of time on a weekend where I can do this, I think I am going to remove it, flip the clips, and remount, just so I can see what all this fuss is about.

I'll second that. I'll just try it BEFORE I trim it, a tad.:wink2:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Removing it was a pain in the derrière and no way in heck will I re-install it.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Removing it was a pain in the derrière and no way in heck will I re-install it.
If I flip the clips, I should be able to make it a simple job.

My driving is 99% highway/city. Would be nice if I think I am going to go offroad to remove it. Typically if I am going to an environment that might be a bit out of the way, I will be carrying tools to do a removal, but spending an hour crawling under my truck on a dusty or muddy road to remove is not my idea of fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Photos and a step-by-step would be greatly appreciated, especially a photo of the "mounting piece".
I'm out of town for training, but when I get home in a couple weeks I'll get some shots for you.

I know that was vague, but I can't think of what to call it. It's above the center of the lip, and there were a couple screws I had to remove so I could pull the lip down enough to get access to those screws that hold the air dam in (2, iirc).

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
I'm out of town for training, but when I get home in a couple weeks I'll get some shots for you.

I know that was vague, but I can't think of what to call it. It's above the center of the lip, and there were a couple screws I had to remove so I could pull the lip down enough to get access to those screws that hold the air dam in (2, iirc).
Seems like someone mentioned removing part of a wheel liner?

Reactions: LuvemyV6**
1 - 20 of 83 Posts