Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Air dam removal questions/concerns

43K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  Toughsox 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2017 midnight edition, I had the hit a dog a big dog , it had ripped off my air dam . does everyone wind up taking them off . I live in NYC and think that if we have snow this year I will wind uo ripping it off again. also any recommendations for a skid plate?
if so is there a smaller trim I can put on ?
P.S it was a terrible thing I felt so bad but there was nothing I could do , I didnt even get a chance to brake.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen a few guys cut a inch off of them in the past I personally have never tried and I don't believe that there's anything in the aftermarket for the air dam if there is I have never seen it. As far as the skid plates I think I remember seeing someone on here using ZR2 plates under their Z71 maybe something for you to look into hope this helps. Also if you're in the market for another air dam I have taken mine off and don't plan on putting it back if you need it I'm sure we could work something out I'm not sure what it would cost to ship it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Personal opinion...
Leave it off there is absolutely no reason for the low hanging POS on a truck.

Reactions: Morbius
#7 ·
I removed mine. I've towed nearly 7300 pounds, run hard on hills, and have flogged my truck since removing the air dam. No issues whatsoever.

#9 ·
Since you bought another one, I would trim it as the result looks nicer than no air dam, IMO. I took mine off, but if I had to do it again, I would do what this guy did. I like this post as he did a nice job, and you can see the side by side removed vs. trimmed comparo:

http://coloradofans.com/forums/3663482-post112.html

#11 ·
I trimmed the air dam on my 2016 Z71 right after I bought it. Left about three inches in the middle tapered out to a little less than two on the sides. That left enough to cover some of the underneath stuff from view, but did not hang down like it originally did. My view is that you might as well cut some off. If you live in a heavy snow area you are going to remove it some day when you are driving, anyway. [ May still have pieces attached that you can drag around as you drive ] That thing hung way down........

#12 ·
I started with removing it to reverse the screws, didn't like it without it, didn't like it with it back on, the trimmed version just looked right. All personal preference.
I drove through 2 winters of snow banks without any damage, so I'm happy. Saw one Canyon with his original dam hanging partially off, guess he didn't judge the snow bank correctly.

#14 ·
Other than the edges, it's not that thick. You can cut it with tinsnips or a cutoff wheel.... Sand or dremel tool the edge to smooth it to look factory... Mark or tape the line you want, then cut. Prior Planning Pays....!!!!!

Reactions: Christopher Brullo
#17 ·
I removed my air dam when mine was like two days old. I've towed and hauled a bit with mine with no issues. Also, I'm still getting 24 mpg hwy consistently driving back and forth to Atlanta driving 75-80 mph. 80 as much as possible, traffic permitting. 2017 GMC All Terrain 3.6l V6 4wd 4 door, otherwise stock.

#18 ·
I used to be a mechanic (heavy airliners/MRO) but that does look like a PITA. (as usual)
Seriously GM, this is just another excellent example of what not to do.
I will probably be ordering a 2018 and this POS needs to come off my new truck when I get it.
I can tell right away that I will not be happy attempting to accomplish this, I only wish there was an easier solution.
I'm not getting any younger and my mechanic skills are not what they used to be, I avoid anything technical or complicated if possible.
This is an ergo challenge more than anything and I am not very ergonomic.
Thanks,

#21 ·
I've had mine off for years (using tin snips....) Absolutely no issues except now I have more clearance when 4x4ing (maybe, just maybe I get like 1/2 mpg less under certain driving conditions)...I also installed steel skid plate....can't remember who I bought it from, but google should help

#22 ·
Imo the trimmed one looks best. If you go that route, flip all the screws while you're working on it so if you ever do need to remove it after it will be much easier and able to on the ground.

Also there is a thread here somewhere that a forum member sells skid plates.

#24 ·
We did some mild 4WD drive roads and I finally got up the nerve to make my air dam removable. I tow a 4500 lb travel trailer with my 2017 Canyon diesel and the transmission fluid is often over 200°F so I prefer to tow with the air dam attached in the hope that it helps with cooling.

A BIG thanks to all the advice and videos from the pioneers on this forum.

It took about 2.5 hours. I removed the T15 screws and loosened (but did not remove) the 7mm bolt on the waffle plate in each wheel well as noted by others. I loosened (but did not remove) a 10mm bolt by each tow hook. I removed all 11 T15 screws and the air dam came off.

I decided to leave the 3 center screws/clips as top down, access is easy and the angle of the air dam makes it difficult to access the screw heads if they are reversed.

I reversed the next 2 clips (1 each side) with no problems, The last 3 clips on each side would not quite reach the holes if reversed, so I used a Dermel to slightly trim the bumper cover and reversed them. On the 2nd hole in on each side I used a 1/4" bit to drilll the waffle plate where the reversed screw would hit it.

Now it takes less than 10 minutes with a T15 small ratchet to remove or reinstall the air dam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.