Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought I'd start by only trimming the Air Dam on my 2018 Z71 and see how that looked before removing it completely. I love the trimmed look the minimal amount of Air Dam I left behind gives the lower body panels and lower-center bumper panel, and it seems to leave a little stiffness to these pieces that are abandoned if the Air Dam is completely removed.

I started by cutting about 3/8 inches below the seam out at the sides and followed a logical curve towards the center portion where I cut straight across. The net effect was that I have no more than 1/2 inch less clearance than I would have achieved by removing the Air Dam completely. I think the few inches left in the center portion will also maintain some of the air-flow properties that are of concern by some for cooling the radiators.

I used a sawzall for the bulk of the cut then used a side-grinder with sand-paper wheel to smooth out the lines and cut. If I can come back to this post I'll post a photo or two.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The air dam attached will improve MPG period. And the number will vary on a case by case basis with many variables up to and including LEAD FOOT SYNDROME. It's long term effects on the wallet are significant short term less significant. If looks are all you care about your entitled to that it's your vehicle but its misleading to say it has little to no effect on MPG which is blatantly an incorrect and misleading statement. It absolutely effects MPG or else it wouldve never been added to the bottom of the bumper by the engineers......

·
Registered
589 Posts
The air dam attached will improve MPG period. And the number will vary on a case by case basis with many variables up to and including LEAD FOOT SYNDROME. It's long term effects on the wallet are significant short term less significant. If looks are all you care about your entitled to that it's your vehicle but its misleading to say it has little to no effect on MPG which is blatantly an incorrect and misleading statement. It absolutely effects MPG or else it wouldve never been added to the bottom of the bumper by the engineers......
Don't ignore the possibility it was added for cooling on the v6 to force more airflow through the grill. I think we need more definitive info.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't ignore the possibility it was added for cooling on the v6 to force more airflow through the grill. I think we need more definitive info.

Just like your member name FUNCTION OVER FORM, and yes I wouldnt rule out cooling, my point is that it wasnt put there just to push off the off-roaders

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
So, the guy from the forums who posted on Youtube that did the comparison of 1 year with the air dam on, and 1 year with it off and saw a .1 MPG difference works into this argument where?

And those of us with not only no airdam, but a completely different aerodynamic front end due to a front bumper change and adding 150 pounds who show zero MPG difference means exactly what?

No one here has ever proven that removing their air dam lost them MPG nor higher temps but, if it makes you sleep better, leave it on. Oh, and enjoy jacking your truck up to change your oil. Many of us just get on a creeper and slide underneath. :rofl:rofl:rofl

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
It absolutely effects MPG or else it wouldve never been added to the bottom of the bumper by the engineers......
The same engineers who, in the video where they explain if you go off roading to take it off, were too stupid to design something that they never thought "oh hell, why dont we reverse the clips so they can actually do what we tell them to do" >:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Im pretty sure if I were to watch the testing of a vehicle for MPG with or without the air dam, I would find so many inconsistencies with the person doing the test it would pretty much invalidate the entire test. Now with that said that is not preventing anyone from removing the air dam, you may do so its your property. You have to ask your self was the air dam purely decorative or does it serve a purpose, so crunch that in your head for a brief moment, feel free to remove it but I can guarantee you that its not purely decorative, it is annoying to end users who want to off-road I would absolutely agree 100% but it has valid functions.

A true MPG test would be to test 5 full tanks of gas with 50% highway and 50% city driving and the speed must be controlled as tightly as possible for the full 5 tanks, ambient temperature would have to be near the same for the full 5 tanks the route taken must be the same for each tank of gas, there are many controls here that im sure would invalidate the youtubers test.....one day in unseasonable colder weather would immediately invalidate the test.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Im pretty sure if I were to watch the testing of a vehicle for MPG with or without the air dam, I would find so many inconsistencies with the person doing the test it would pretty much invalidate the entire test. Now with that said that is not preventing anyone from removing the air dam, you may do so its your property. You have to ask your self was the air dam purely decorative or does it serve a purpose, so crunch that in your head for a brief moment, feel free to remove it but I can guarantee you that its not purely decorative, it is annoying to end users who want to off-road I would absolutely agree 100% but it has valid functions.

A true MPG test would be to test 5 full tanks of gas with 50% highway and 50% city driving and the speed must be controlled as tightly as possible for the full 5 tanks, ambient temperature would have to be near the same for the full 5 tanks the route taken must be the same for each tank of gas, there are many controls here that im sure would invalidate the youtubers test.....one day in unseasonable colder weather would immediately invalidate the test.

Dang! I have been following the exact method above. I was eight months into a year long test. Today when I drove to work the temperature was 4F. Phew! I can now stop the madness. For the record, in eight months of testing there was no significant difference in mileage. >:)

Gusto!

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone with a canyon Denali removed this? Been looking everywhere for a picture to see how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bought new Canyon last week and wanted to remove air dam as soon as possible. Spent couple of hours on this forum looking at how-to's and decided to give it a go, in spite of knowing I'd have to spend 2-3 hours and busted knuckles doing it. Took all of 20 minutes, no busted knuckles and a big smile on my face !
Took longer to find my ramps and pull front of truck up on them, rounding up tools-including HF grinder with 4 1/2" cut-off disk than it did to remove the dreaded air dam ! I simply cut off the small screws even with the "metal thingies" and they popped right out.
No muss, no fuss !

Do you have a fuller front end shot? Thinking about doing this to mine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial! I just removed the dam from my 18 WT and it was (almost) a snap! Took about an hour with no blood, sweat, tears, or curses!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The airdam does serve a purpose in both aerodynamics of drag and frontal cooling. carloliveira is correct in the term of a controlled environment testing. That's why companies pay a lot of money and efforts to take their vehicles into the wind tunnel. There are too many variables in real world testing as climate, road conditions, driver behavior, and so forth that you can not get an accurate number. TFL Trucks tries to create a control environment by conducting their test on the same road and how they refuel.
To the automotive companies, you have to consider the larger picture. Even if it's 0.1 mpg gain, consider GM sells 120K Colorado's annually; a consumer with an average 15k miles/year @ 19 mpg combined vs 18.9 mpg (the 0.1 mpg difference). That equates to @ 19 mpg to 789.47 gallons vs @ 18.9 mpg to 793.65 gallons, a difference of 4.18 gallons/yr x 120K annual vehicle sales = 501,600 gallons of fuel that GM is helping the environment. That is based on a low 0.1 mpg that the one gentleman observed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have never considered a saw-z-all a surgical tool, rudimentary demolition only.

Good pics, nice explanation. I pretty much did what was described, but flipped the mounting clips and re-mounted air dam with screws from bottom so I can remove much easier if the need arises.

I guess GM hasn't decided to revamp the attachment on the assembly line of the air dam after 4 years of manufacturing. Maybe this will be one of the mods for 2019.

Nope my 19 is Bass Ackwards still

·
Registered
229 Posts
Did I read somewhere that the new Ford Ranger, which too has a air dam, where the FX off road package the air dam is deleted?

Bottom line, the air dam is only for improved MPG......I don’t buy the information on these forums that it improves air flow into the engine, as if that was the case, then no way GM would say in the manual to remove it when off roading, all while driving under extreme conditions in low gear up steep grades, in the middle of the desert, just when air flow into the engine bay would be most important.......

But what do I know, as I took my air dam off along with that stupid plastic backwards mud flap in front of the rear wheels.........

I may lost a few MPG’s, but dang my collie sure looks good while doing it......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did I read somewhere that the new Ford Ranger, which too has a air dam, where the FX off road package the air dam is deleted?

Bottom line, the air dam is only for improved MPG......I don’t buy the information on these forums that it improves air flow into the engine, as if that was the case, then no way GM would say in the manual to remove it when off roading, all while driving under extreme conditions in low gear up steep grades, in the middle of the desert, just when air flow into the engine bay would be most important.......

But what do I know, as I took my air dam off along with that stupid plastic backwards mud flap in front of the rear wheels.........

I may lost a few MPG’s, but dang my collie sure looks good while doing it......
Now that we're on the subject. What is that "stupid plastic backwards mud flap in front of the rear wheels" actually for ???

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts
Now that we're on the subject. What is that "stupid plastic backwards mud flap in front of the rear wheels" actually for ???

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
They are airflow deflectors designed to reduce drag. They are mainly used on the front of vehicles but can be used in both locations if wind tunnel exercises show a decrease in drag.

AutoSpeed - Modifying Under-Car Airflow, Part 2

I'll post a more useful video in a bit. Have to run to a meeting.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
many a vehicle car and truck have the front of the tire deflectors.
most all pickups have the air dam across the front some just not as conspicuous

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed a front skid plate, and at the same time, removed the front air dam. No big deal, came of in less than 45 minutes. But now mileage is down an average 2.8 mpg combined, but the kicker is highway mileage is down over 4.0 mpg. Because I drive sometimes long distances between job sites, now I'm thinking to put the front air dam back on ??

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
But now mileage is down an average 2.8 mpg combined, but the kicker is highway mileage is down over 4.0
I have to question it. Are you sure you didn't mean ".40"?

Reactions: Garrettb189

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went up to 275/55R20’s and the next day, took my air dam off. On average, I drive around 3,000 miles a month and combined, I’ve only noticed about a 2 mpg decrease. Well worth it for how much better my truck looks. I’ve been around car forums for a lot of years and it’s comical how wrapped up some people get over the stupidest things. Taking that ugly ass air dam off the front of your truck isn’t going to make it overheat. If you don’t like it and don’t mind losing a little fuel mileage, take it off. It’s not going to hurt a thing.

As for the air deflector things in front of the back tires, I took one off and found that my truck isn’t fully painted in the opening that it covers. I also thought it looked like it was missing something so I ended up putting it back on. Just my .02

61 - 80 of 86 Posts