Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
@harveyfamily Since you took yours off,think maybe you can send it my way....mine sort of fell off and I might want to put it back on. 0:)

Sort of fell off eh? :laugh:

Love that color though! My wife's '17 Acadia All-Terrain is that color though it's called Iridium Metallic instead of Graphite Metallic. I would look at a bull bar like that if it wasn't for the fact that in Texas the front license plate is required.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Yea, its required here in NJ too but, working for the govt and having 1 son as a cop and another in boot camp to become a Newark cop sort of helps.

Here is where it usually resides so, not much of a problem, at least not to me. >:)

And, its BLACK !!! Yeesh !!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea, its required here in NJ too but, working for the govt and having 1 son as a cop and another in boot camp to become a Newark cop sort of helps.

Here is where it usually resides so, not much of a problem, at least not to me. >:)

And, its BLACK !!! Yeesh !!!!

My bad! The dark colors seem to look the same online when I look at pics.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
How much did removing the air dam improve your mileage ?
If you ask 100 people here, half will tell you it went up, and the other half will tell you it didnt. There was 1 guy that posted 2 Youtube videos which Im too lazy to look up. In his experiment, he had it on for a full year, and off for another year and he reported zero mileage difference. So at the end of the day you need to ask yourself......does it look better off or on for YOU !!!

PS....added bonus. If you will do your own oil changes, with the air dam off you wont need to jack it up (unless you need to eat a salad or two once in awhile and cant fit your fat ass under there) >:)

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
How much did removing the air dam improve your mileage ?
The answer for me is...
Not enough difference that I can tell (although I don’t waste my time hand calculating MPG) and definitely not enough of a difference to keep that ugly POS low hanging plastic crap on my truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just to add my experience here...

I had taken mine off last year. Wasn't too bad. Did have to take out the honeycomb pieces on the ends. I drove it that way for about 3-4 weeks. However, the two screws hanging down bothered me. (Yes, I could have either zipped the ends off or flipped them around too). But, there's also a plastic something (skid, air deflector, IDK) hanging under the engine/trans that I never noticed until I took the airdam off. It bothered me enough, that I ended up cutting about 3 inches off the airdam and putting it back on.

No changes in fuel mileage (either city or highway) with the modified airdam on. (I didn't have it completely off for long enough to know if mileage was effected with it off)

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts
Explain yourself. You didn’t even touch the suspension when removing the air dam.....

Sniff sniff....smells like....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe he means at highway speeds? When Motor Trend removed the air dam on their long-term test Colorado they noted the front end felt less planted at high speeds. That jives with how air dams work and why they are used on race cars.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/che...hevrolet-colorado-z71-diesel-review-update-5/

The 4.0 percent drop in Real MPG on the highway cycle reflects the greater air drag and nose lift at highway speed—which you certainly feel from behind the wheel as the nose feels less planted than before.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I actually ended up putting my airdam back on before I left for Maine last Saturday, I noticed without it on my trips to work (all highway) I'd get 26mpg whereas before I'd see it dip up into the 30s, due to this and the 600mi trip I put it back on and was able to avg 35mpg over 50mi during the trip.

I also flipped around all but the front four mounting hardware so the screws go in from the bottom. The front four were tough to do due to how the plastic airdam was made.

Reactions: Ron380

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts
Thanks for that article. I think I am going to remove mine and see how MPG is effected... I can always put it back on.
My pleasure. Simply reverse the clips after you remove it and it will be much easier to reinstall in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Maybe he means at highway speeds? When Motor Trend removed the air dam on their long-term test Colorado they noted the front end felt less planted at high speeds. That jives with how air dams work and why they are used on race cars.
Thank you. I was wanting to put in the effort to construct such an accurate description.:nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm gonna be doing this myself soon enough. Can you flip all of those speed nuts in case you wanted to reattach the air dam (like for a long highway driving trip where it serves a purpose) but with the screws going upward instead? Then it would be a snap to remove and reattach, wouldn't it?

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts
I'm gonna be doing this myself soon enough. Can you flip all of those speed nuts in case you wanted to reattach the air dam (like for a long highway driving trip where it serves a purpose) but with the screws going upward instead? Then it would be a snap to remove and reattach, wouldn't it?
Yes and it's really easy to reinstall. A few of the screws are harder to turn because of the angle of the air dam but still easy. I reattached mine for a return trip to Mammoth Lakes today and I'm reading about 1mpg better than the same exact trip last Friday. Same conditions but 1 more traffic delay on this trip yet I'm still up on mpg so probably worth it for long trips.

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts
Sorry to cross post but figure the info was important for this great thread....

After reinstalling the air dam and front slash guard I made a return trip to Mammoth Lakes (236 miles 1 way) for the enduro race. I made the same trip last week without the air dam and splash guard in place and clocked 17.4mpg. This trip had nearly identical traffic conditions, weather and temperatures. We did experience 1 more road construction delay but that shouldn't have a big effect because I turned the truck off immediately knowing it would be a long wait. We went to the bike park then to the same campground. Ended this trip at 18.6mpg. These numbers are based on the display which we know is not perfectly accurate but it is consistent. :)

Far from scientific but interesting nonetheless. I'll see how the return trip goes and if I get the same 1mpg difference.

So for now this is what I have observed. (Numbers include modifier of x1.068 for larger tires)

No air dam or splash guard: 18.58mpg
With air dam and splash guard: 19.86mpg
Ok finished the trip and here's the skinny.

I made the drive back home last night leaving Mammoth at approximately the same time of day and arriving home about 1hr earlier than last time but conditions were nearly the same.Traffic was the same as were average drive speeds. I did travel further on the first trip because of a stop at Bodie State Historic Park but I watched my mpg before the turn off and when I got back to the highway and it stayed relatively the same +-0.20mpg. (these trucks do remarkably well on fuel economy off-road and recovering mpg when coming back down hills you previously climbed.)

So here are the results:

No air dam or splash guard: 19.3mpg (corrected to 20.6mpg)
With air dam and splash guard: 22.1mpg (corrected to 23.60mpg)

Based on the numbers I observed I firmly believe the air dam and splash guard are worth at least a 1mpg increase when driven at highway speeds for long periods of time. I don't think it's worth 3mpg that I observed on the return trip as other factors like wind direction and speed could have helped influence the numbers a bit but the average increase is telling. Some people don't make long trips and rarely drive at speeds over 50mph so for them the air dam is useless but for those who drive well over 55mph and take long trips I feel it's worth the effort to reinstall the air dam (5min max) or just keep it installed and remove it for off-road adventures or snow season. :) Unless you just think it's ugly in which case I'd follow the wise words of the Digital Underground and "Doowutchyalike". Yeah, I had the 90's Hip Hop station on Spotify playing last night. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’d been planning to do this for some time and finally got around to it. This thread and the couple of videos were really helpful. I was tempted to cut the thing off, either completely or partly like others have done, but decided to remove it the “old fashioned way.” Having the small Neiko mini ratchet (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XYOUS6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) really helped, even though the little thing can be frustrating at times. It will be interesting to see my MPG is impacted, especially since we tow travel trailer a fair amount of time. However, I’m good with a small drop as long as the ride quality doesn’t suffer, as I’ll appreciate the additional ground clearance when we go down those dirt roads on our travels.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I thought your video was pretty good as well.
Followed your procedure last year and like you, reversed those clips to be used at a later date if need be.
I needed a bit more room to maneuver underneath so I just rolled up onto steel ramps and got to it.

Thank you for posting that video!

TLW

41 - 60 of 86 Posts