Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If I can get the right compact ratchet tool I’ll try it again. What’s the one pictured above?
Something like this makes removing the screws with tight clearances a breeze.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Ratchet-Screwdriver-Phillips-Slotted-Reversible/dp/B077YFVC3W[/ame]

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
With all the tutorials and videos available, plus the dozens of members here that can talk you through it, we hereby FORBID you to go and pay the dealer to take it off. Doing so revokes your MAN CARD. Just be forewarned....we know where you live and will be driving by to check. >:)
On my 2017 I used my MAN CARD and asked my dealer to take it off at an oil change. He had no issues doing it for free.

On my 2018 once again I used my MAN CARD. This time I had my son trim about three inches off of it. Cost? A couple of beers.

Sometimes, the use of a MAN CARD involes brains instead of braun.

Gusto!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
On my 2017 I used my MAN CARD and asked my dealer to take it off at an oil change. He had no issues doing it for free.

On my 2018 once again I used my MAN CARD. This time I had my son trim about three inches off of it. Cost? A couple of beers.

Sometimes, the use of a MAN CARD involes brains instead of braun.

Gusto!

On your 1st one, your card got revoked and you just didnt know it (we never told you)
But you redeemed yourself on your 2nd one so, consider yourself re-instated.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
On your 1st one, your card got revoked and you just didnt know it (we never told you)
But you redeemed yourself on your 2nd one so, consider yourself re-instated.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
Lol for sure this. ^

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Pics or we will assume that you gave up and it is still hanging by the center screws!

Glad you got it off, the air dam has no business on a truck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
By the tow hooks tight area. I got the tool in place and used a small 1/4 open end wrench to turn the hex bolt.

It’s easier to just remove the honeycomb fender braces and go in from underneath behind the bumper. Super easy to get the wrench in there after that. I have no idea why people are trying to go in through the tow hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
On those 3-4 screws I had to get the mini ratchet and my hand up in the space above it and do small turns on the screw. I went up underneath to get these.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got 9 of the screws out and no amount of maneuvering would let me get the hard to reach ones so I ended up reattaching it. I’ll either have to get me a flat socket or just bite the bullet and pay the dealership to remove it.

I saw my salesman today when picking up my plates and he asked me how I was liking the truck. I mentioned removing the air dam and he sounded surprised as to why I would want to remove it.
Most salespeople don't understand doing things to your vehicle. They're just selling widgets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys, I finally got around to the dam removal.
I hope this how-to will help anyone wanting to DIY it.
I will say it now, there are others who have done it differently, I know.
This tutorial is done from an outside to inside removal process for simplicity and clarity of instruction purposes.
Overall its a simple process not requiring many tools and can be done on the ground. I’m a scrawny 5-7 170 pounder that can creep underneath and at times I had the dam across my neck. If you’re much bigger than I, I would suggest lifting the front. I did not have to remove the wheels but based on your tools and hands, you may find it gives you more room to move around in. Consider doing this job during your next rotation.
All these pictures are taken of the left side area only. The right side is identical.
The tools I used are:
T-15 Torx (TM) bit
Small ratchet driver for bit
T-15 Torx (TM) socket 3/8
10mm socket 3/8
7mm socket 1/4
2” extension 3/8
finger or thumb drive 3/8
stubby ratchet driver 3/8
7” ratchet 3/8
screwdriver, flat blade
Thank you sir! Mod #2 on the new to me truck and haven't spent a dime. I used most of your tips to make it happen. Hoping I won't need a trip to the eye doctor tomorrow ? slight mishap grinding off a couple screws when a piece shot under my safety glasses. Quite a few interesting body angles needed for this project ?? When you said the air dam was resting on your neck I thought you were joking

·
Registered
186 Posts
My son backed into my truck with his truck a while back - so I got a 2nd hand nearly new grill from a salvage yard. Having it put on next Monday so I am having them do airdam delete while they have the front clip off. NO WAY I could do this myself lol! I am "mechanically declined" as my wife calls it LOL!

Great write up though!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My son backed into my truck with his truck a while back - so I got a 2nd hand nearly new grill from a salvage yard. Having it put on next Monday so I am having them do airdam delete while they have the front clip off. NO WAY I could do this myself lol! I am "mechanically declined" as my wife calls it LOL!

Great write up though!
You should ask for a discount since you don't need that air dam ?

21 - 40 of 86 Posts