Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I finally got around to the dam removal.
I hope this how-to will help anyone wanting to DIY it.
I will say it now, there are others who have done it differently, I know.
This tutorial is done from an outside to inside removal process for simplicity and clarity of instruction purposes.
Overall its a simple process not requiring many tools and can be done on the ground. I’m a scrawny 5-7 170 pounder that can creep underneath and at times I had the dam across my neck. If you’re much bigger than I, I would suggest lifting the front. I did not have to remove the wheels but based on your tools and hands, you may find it gives you more room to move around in. Consider doing this job during your next rotation.
All these pictures are taken of the left side area only. The right side is identical.
The tools I used are:
T-15 Torx (TM) bit
Small ratchet driver for bit
T-15 Torx (TM) socket 3/8
10mm socket 3/8
7mm socket 1/4
2” extension 3/8
finger or thumb drive 3/8
stubby ratchet driver 3/8
7” ratchet 3/8
screwdriver, flat blade

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Air dam removal 2018 Colorado cont..

More..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Has anyone removed the air dam on a truck with factory fender flares? In the first image above, it shows to remove 5 screws in from the wheel well liner, 2 at the bottom and 3 up the side. The 3 up the side are not accessible.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
You could have saved yourself a lot of time by simply driving over one of these -

If by chance the barrier wasn't high enough, you just have to let some of the air out of your front tires and proceed forward. >:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I noticed the two screws sticking out after I put my bumper back on. I had my brother take off the air dam while I put the light bar mount on and didn't pay attention to those screws until we had the bumper back on. At that point I was 3 hours into the project and wrapping up so I said screw it ill go back and do it later.

Good pics though!

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
Wouldn't a Saw-all be easier? :grin2:
I have never considered a saw-z-all a surgical tool, rudimentary demolition only.

Good pics, nice explanation. I pretty much did what was described, but flipped the mounting clips and re-mounted air dam with screws from bottom so I can remove much easier if the need arises.

I guess GM hasn't decided to revamp the attachment on the assembly line of the air dam after 4 years of manufacturing. Maybe this will be one of the mods for 2019.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may not need to remove those. Just the 3 along the back, the 7mm, and the 3 in front. It should tilt out.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone removed the air dam on a truck with factory fender flares? In the first image above, it shows to remove 5 screws in from the wheel well liner, 2 at the bottom and 3 up the side. The 3 up the side are not accessible.
You may not need to remove those. Just the 3 along the back, the 7mm, and the 3 in front. The plate should tilt out.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought new Canyon last week and wanted to remove air dam as soon as possible. Spent couple of hours on this forum looking at how-to's and decided to give it a go, in spite of knowing I'd have to spend 2-3 hours and busted knuckles doing it. Took all of 20 minutes, no busted knuckles and a big smile on my face !
Took longer to find my ramps and pull front of truck up on them, rounding up tools-including HF grinder with 4 1/2" cut-off disk than it did to remove the dreaded air dam ! I simply cut off the small screws even with the "metal thingies" and they popped right out.
No muss, no fuss !

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Lol, that thought did cross my mind, but I decided against the nuclear option and removed the fastner's the old fashion way

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Air Damn removal elapsed times

By the book- estimated time 2-3 hours (depending on number of busted knuckles and beers consumed)

Remove front bumper, then remove air dam and replace air dam - estimated time 90 minutes for bumoper R&R and 5 minutes to remove air dam (it really is easier then doing it on the car in my opinion)

@N1CKV his nuclear option (which I assume means either hitting the cement barrier in a parking lot, or waiting till winter and go snow-pile hopping - estimated time 1.3 seconds. I think we have a winner !!!!:wink2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got 9 of the screws out and no amount of maneuvering would let me get the hard to reach ones so I ended up reattaching it. I’ll either have to get me a flat socket or just bite the bullet and pay the dealership to remove it.

I saw my salesman today when picking up my plates and he asked me how I was liking the truck. I mentioned removing the air dam and he sounded surprised as to why I would want to remove it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
With all the tutorials and videos available, plus the dozens of members here that can talk you through it, we hereby FORBID you to go and pay the dealer to take it off. Doing so revokes your MAN CARD. Just be forewarned....we know where you live and will be driving by to check. >:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I can get the right compact ratchet tool I’ll try it again. What’s the one pictured above?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts