Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

221 - 240 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Haven't experienced this yet. My old truck used to blow ~30 on 90+ days and would only freeze on the lowest fan setting. I'm only getting around 34 degree vent temps on this truck so I never get cold enough to have it on low. My climate control is set to lo and has been that way since the day I got the truck too lol. Again though, my system was evacuated and recharged about 200 miles in so...

·
Registered
52 Posts
At 4500 miles on my 2019 Canyon, the compressor on my AC failed. A week later, I am still waiting for my dealer to call me to let me know they got a new compressor and I can come back to have it installed. They said they refilled the Freon in the system along with a dye, and the Freon is leaking right out of the compressor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
At 4500 miles on my 2019 Canyon, the compressor on my AC failed. A week later, I am still waiting for my dealer to call me to let me know they got a new compressor and I can come back to have it installed. They said they refilled the Freon in the system along with a dye, and the Freon is leaking right out of the compressor.
I'm curious, ask to see the new part when it comes in. I'd like to know the country of origin. My parts were made in Mexico which half explains why what happened happened.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stan Irish,
I'm hoping that you'll come back and share your experience with the recent "tweeks". Hopefully they will help.

With my 2017, when I drive it around for a short time (perhaps 1/2 hour) it is very rare for it to completely freeze up and start blowing warm air. But I have been monitoring the vent temp and know that when it first starts up it overshoots and goes way too cold. Keep in mind that when the monitored air temp is at, say, 38 degrees, that the actual evaporator fins are perhaps 6 degrees cooler. One way to tell is when you can smell something like sticking your head in a freezer. The odor occurs at the freezing or thawing temps. The overshoot results in vent temps below freezing which means that the evaporator is perhaps 25 degrees F. I've had vent temps as low as 28 F. That starts the icing process. Even if I'm able to make it home without any warm air blowing, I do notice that the integrated heat exchanger (IHX) pipe is icy cold and wet. Sometimes it is frosty white. When I shut off the engine, a few minutes later the ice will start to melt and drip out below. I am certain that if I was driving at freeway speeds for another half hour or hour that the ice would continue to build until I noticed the vent temperature rising and the airflow decreasing (meaning that the ice is blocking the air).
In my case, GM has graciously offered to buy back my Colorado under the lemon law. I am considering buying a 2020 or 2019 Colorado. I think that I know how to check it out during the test drive to avoid getting another problem unit. But it would be reassuring to know that the "tweeks" that they are doing to your Colorado provice some relief as well. I am especially interested to learn about any negative effects - - like less cooling capacity, noticeable temperature swings, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2017 Colorado has the same ac issue others have described, blowing very cold air at times, dropping to only mildly cool air, and at times not cooling at all. The air flow drops when it is acting up. It has frozen up on me several times. Once I turned it off for a few minutes and when I turned it back on pieces of ice blew out of the dash vents. Due to my work schedule, I've only been able to take it in for service once and they did the normal tests but "could not duplicate the problem". I drove by the dealer last week just to show the service writer what it was doing after driving 3 hours coming in from out of town with it blowing vapor out the vents and not cooling very well. He asked me to bring it back when I can leave it with them. Based on posts I've just read on this forum I am not optimistic they can fix it. Attached is PIT5625B, the latest thing I can find from GM, dated July 29 2019, which indicates they still don't have a fix. If anyone knows of a solution, please post it for those of us who are suffering in the heat while driving a $37K GM vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is anyone having a/c issues other than the freeze up condition? I’ve had intermittent cold/warm issues that were documented when I bought my truck used with 250 miles on it. The warm condition only lasts for 30 seconds at a time and I can’t figure any pattern to the issue. I’ve had cases open with GM, had the compressor and condenser replaced. Now with 48k miles, GM won’t pay to look at it anymore. Early on in this thread, there were a few others with this issue, but now it’s only the freezing with no help there either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is anyone having a/c issues other than the freeze up condition? I’ve had intermittent cold/warm issues that were documented when I bought my truck used with 250 miles on it. The warm condition only lasts for 30 seconds at a time and I can’t figure any pattern to the issue. I’ve had cases open with GM, had the compressor and condenser replaced. Now with 48k miles, GM won’t pay to look at it anymore. Early on in this thread, there were a few others with this issue, but now it’s only the freezing with no help there either.
Juniorman, MOST of my issues are cold/warm. I've only had it freeze up a few times. My AC goes through cycles of blowing too cold (uncomfortably so) then minutes later I get hot and put my hand up to the vent because it's like it stopped working (but the air is still cool, just not freezing cold), then soon after that it's too cold again, all with me not doing anything with the controls. And there is no rhyme or reason to when it does it. And if I don't keep the fan speed setting higher than I would like, that's when it might freeze up. Worst AC system I've ever experienced out of maybe 20 vehicles in my lifetime! I bought the truck used and did not take it to a dealer until just out of warranty, so I'm stuck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've noticed mine get warmer when it's hot out intermittently. When it does it seems to be linked to the active shutters. Sometimes in car reflections I can see them open back up when I stop and the air gets cooler again. When it's 105 out and I just got in the truck, you can notice it. When the cabin cools down I don't notice it too much. Similar to what you're noticing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
American56: I have become quite familiar with the Colorado AC system and some of the underlying causes of the freeze up and blowing warm air. I suspect that when you are going through the cycles of blowing ice cold air followed by warm air that your system is actually frozen up or in the process of doing that. One way to check if this is the case is to pull over on the side of the road (or better yet a parking lot) and leave the truck running, blower running and turn off the AC. If in the next few minutes you notice a "rain storm" under the truck by the driver's side, you have a freeze up condition. If as soon as you pull over you pop the hood, you may also spot the tube on the firewall (On mine it is labeled IHX for Integrated Heat Exchanger) either frosty white (meaning that you are very much frozen up) or icy cold and wet (indicating that you are starting to freeze up).

If you don't have much if any condensate (water) flowing, the IHX feels to the touch to be at roughly ambient temps, then you have a different problem. If you ever notice the compressor clutch kicking in and out, that isn't normal. Older ACs used to do that to regulate cabin temperatures. But on the Colorado they use a variable displacement compressor that is always spinning (clutch engaged) and pumping some amount whenever you have it in the AC or defrost mode.

In my case, I had the temperature controller replaced (it appeared to be defective), followed by the compressor replacement (German mfr.), and when that had no substantial improvement, they suggested tearing the dash apart and removing and replacing the entire evaporator module. I opted out of that and GM graciously agreed to buy back my vehicle under my state's lemon law.

In my case, if I was driving at highway speeds with a high ambient temperature, once it started to freeze up, it initiated a cycle from which I couldn't recover. Ice built over the coldest part of the evaporator first which shielded the Air Temperature sensor from recognizing the freeze up, which allowed the ice to continue to build and build. As more and more ice formed it insulated more of the evaporator and made the unfrozen portion even colder. Eventually I had a block of ice in the evaporator and I could see the IHX frosty white.

The problem that you and I have/had is apparently not wide-spread but involves just a small percentage of Colorados. Also, I suspect that even if it exists in more trucks, that if a person is driving less than say 30 minutes at a time that they may never notice it. Ice would build up but the truck would never reach the full freeze up before they reached their end destination.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Littleblazer: you wrote: "When it does it seems to be linked to the active shutters. Sometimes in car reflections I can see them open back up when I stop and the air gets cooler again. "

Where do you have to look to see the "active shutters". Are they the shutters that control the flow of the cooled air over the heater core (which is downstream or after the evaporator) ? Where would I have to go to see them?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've noticed mine get warmer when it's hot out intermittently. When it does it seems to be linked to the active shutters. Sometimes in car reflections I can see them open back up when I stop and the air gets cooler again. When it's 105 out and I just got in the truck, you can notice it. When the cabin cools down I don't notice it too much. Similar to what you're noticing?
My problem is the a/c intermittently blows cold then warm, humid air. You can feel the humidity right away. Only for 30 seconds then back to cold. Really a nuisance more then anything. This happens no matter the dash settings. Can be temp set on low or anywhere in between. Fresh or recerc, auto or manual. The outside temp could be 75-100. I don’t know anything about the shutters. I’ve heard about them, but that’s about it lol. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Juniorman, MOST of my issues are cold/warm. I've only had it freeze up a few times. My AC goes through cycles of blowing too cold (uncomfortably so) then minutes later I get hot and put my hand up to the vent because it's like it stopped working (but the air is still cool, just not freezing cold), then soon after that it's too cold again, all with me not doing anything with the controls. And there is no rhyme or reason to when it does it. And if I don't keep the fan speed setting higher than I would like, that's when it might freeze up. Worst AC system I've ever experienced out of maybe 20 vehicles in my lifetime! I bought the truck used and did not take it to a dealer until just out of warranty, so I'm stuck.
Definitely sounds similar. If there is ever a resolution, I’ll certainly post on here. I’m not very hopeful though and won’t pay for the dealer to revisit the issue. Best we can hope for is to have a service bulletin come out with a fix. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My problem is the a/c intermittently blows cold then warm, humid air. You can feel the humidity right away. Only for 30 seconds then back to cold. Really a nuisance more then anything. This happens no matter the dash settings. Can be temp set on low or anywhere in between. Fresh or recerc, auto or manual. The outside temp could be 75-100. I don’t know anything about the shutters. I’ve heard about them, but that’s about it lol. Thanks for the reply!
Exact same issue here. I even bought a temp/humidity logger so I had proof of how the AC was working (or not working).
I find that mine does the warm humid thing most consistently after a stop. It nearly always happens when getting off the highway and having to stop at a light or just stopping at a stop sign in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
American56: I have become quite familiar with the Colorado AC system and some of the underlying causes of the freeze up and blowing warm air. I suspect that when you are going through the cycles of blowing ice cold air followed by warm air that your system is actually frozen up or in the process of doing that. One way to check if this is the case is to pull over on the side of the road (or better yet a parking lot) and leave the truck running, blower running and turn off the AC. If in the next few minutes you notice a "rain storm" under the truck by the driver's side, you have a freeze up condition. If as soon as you pull over you pop the hood, you may also spot the tube on the firewall (On mine it is labeled IHX for Integrated Heat Exchanger) either frosty white (meaning that you are very much frozen up) or icy cold and wet (indicating that you are starting to freeze up).

If you don't have much if any condensate (water) flowing, the IHX feels to the touch to be at roughly ambient temps, then you have a different problem. If you ever notice the compressor clutch kicking in and out, that isn't normal. Older ACs used to do that to regulate cabin temperatures. But on the Colorado they use a variable displacement compressor that is always spinning (clutch engaged) and pumping some amount whenever you have it in the AC or defrost mode.

In my case, I had the temperature controller replaced (it appeared to be defective), followed by the compressor replacement (German mfr.), and when that had no substantial improvement, they suggested tearing the dash apart and removing and replacing the entire evaporator module. I opted out of that and GM graciously agreed to buy back my vehicle under my state's lemon law.

In my case, if I was driving at highway speeds with a high ambient temperature, once it started to freeze up, it initiated a cycle from which I couldn't recover. Ice built over the coldest part of the evaporator first which shielded the Air Temperature sensor from recognizing the freeze up, which allowed the ice to continue to build and build. As more and more ice formed it insulated more of the evaporator and made the unfrozen portion even colder. Eventually I had a block of ice in the evaporator and I could see the IHX frosty white.

The problem that you and I have/had is apparently not wide-spread but involves just a small percentage of Colorados. Also, I suspect that even if it exists in more trucks, that if a person is driving less than say 30 minutes at a time that they may never notice it. Ice would build up but the truck would never reach the full freeze up before they reached their end destination.
Brogers92026, you described my freeze up problem perfectly! Thanks for the information. Yes, I have the rain storm under the truck, much more than the ordinary dripping from a typical ac after shutting down. And I have popped the hood and observed the frosty white IHX. And once it starts to freeze up the only thing I have found for recovery is to turn the AC off and run the fan at its highest speed (no fun when the Arkansas heat index has been running over 100 degrees lately). It is hard to believe GM can't come up with a fix!!! According to their own documents they have known about the problem for over 2 years! I am glad to hear you were able to get them to do a buy back. I bought my 2017 in June of this year from a Toyota dealer who took it on trade-in and I was over 36k miles when I took it to a Chevy dealer to complain, so I may be stuck with the problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Littleblazer: you wrote: "When it does it seems to be linked to the active shutters. Sometimes in car reflections I can see them open back up when I stop and the air gets cooler again. "

Where do you have to look to see the "active shutters". Are they the shutters that control the flow of the cooled air over the heater core (which is downstream or after the evaporator) ? Where would I have to go to see them?
It's the ones for the radiator in the grill. What I'm getting sounds like a different thing. My temp simply goes up a little rather than full loss of cooling.
Gotcha, different problem. Mine is simply a heat exchange problem but it does randomly do what you describe as well.

To me it sounds like a low side pressure problem rather than a fault. I know the r1234 system is different than 134a but the low side pressure switch should be kicking off the compressor once the condenser gets too cold, unless this is different. Once you're below 20 or psi your evaporator core should be around the same temp, meaning your pressure should be coming back up because the compressor is commanded off. On my old truck the cycle delay was such that the average low side pressure was around 28 psi which resulted in 38 degrees of vent temp and roughly 30 at the condenser. I would occasionally get freeze ups but usually changing the air filter fixed that. My problem was that the lowest fan speed was too low with a partially blocked filter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Exact same issue here. I even bought a temp/humidity logger so I had proof of how the AC was working (or not working).
I find that mine does the warm humid thing most consistently after a stop. It nearly always happens when getting off the highway and having to stop at a light or just stopping at a stop sign in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So your truck is also a 2016. Has this been happening since new, or since you have had the truck? What action (if any) has the dealer taken? Where are you at now with GM and a resolution? I’m curious about what others with this a/c problem are doing for a fix. Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hyperv6. That is interesting.

I'm wondering what the recalibration is doing? I'm wondering if they reset the EAT (evaporator air temp) sensor (accessed above the gas pedal) to "de-stroke" the variable displacement compressor at a higher temp?

I'm hoping that someone who has had their AC "recalibrated" could comment on (1) whether it generally works and (2) how severe are the negative issues.

Whenever I have created a solid block of ice in the evaporator, 99% of the time I am going at freeway speeds for an hour or more. But the majority of those times I was driving across Arizona, where the relative humidity was probably single digit. In July, when I was going West of Phoenix, the ambient temperature was 117 F and I experienced a freeze up. I found that if I just turned off the AC until the cabin temp got into the 80's or 90's that it would quickly re-freeze up. I attributed that to perhaps a small residual amount of ice near the temp sensor blocking it from properly monitoring the temps or to the wet fins of the evaporator decreasing the surface temperature below freezing. So, I had to run the cabin up to ambient. Even then, it would still re-freeze, even with the blower at 6 or above.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Not sure as I just saw this the other day. I was going to post it but forgot till I saw this thread come alive again.

221 - 240 of 256 Posts
About this Discussion
255 Replies
60 Participants
littleblazer
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing