Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm wondering if the 2018 and 2019 Colorado (or Canyon) also have this problem? If they don't then I'm toying with the idea of replacing my 2017 with a newer model. Of course this wouldn't make any sense if they all used the same parts and technology.

Also, I located the evap temp sensor by the gas pedal. I'm very tempted to put a resistor in series (to raise the cutoff temp from a nominal 38 degrees to something higher, like 40 degrees. It appears that the wiring plugs into temp sensor that snaps into the plastic housing. But I didn't want to force anything. Does anyone know the secret to upplugging the cable and to unsnapping the temp sensor without breaking something?

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I looked at one of the documents from GM, a PIT, it mentioned that the 2017 AND 2018 Colorado are being studied for the freeze up problem. I suspect that the 2019 is also in that same group. Perhaps as more of the new 2019 units reach their new owners that we will read reports of continuing issues there as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dont know if this helps or not but the AC in my Z71 was also doing what you described. Took three trips to the dealer but they ended up replacing the compressor and haven't had any issues so far.

Now due to a death in the family my father got a 17 Z71 with about 3,500 miles on it. During a 700 mile road trip the AC would go out in a very similar way to my truck. He ended up doing to a dealer that said Chevy released a bulletin in the beginning of September saying some trucks were filled with a refrigerant that was not compatible with the compressor. It would cause the reed valves in the compressor to stick in the wrong position. The dealer replaced the refrigerant with the correct stuff and said there was a 50/50 chance that the compressor wouldn't need to be replaced. On the return trip of the 700 mile trip there the AC was blowing 38 degree air the entire time.

I am working on getting the bulletin to see if my truck needs to go back. It may be the same bulletin some others have mentioned.

Hope it helps.
I would LOVE to get a copy of the bulletin from GM that said "some trucks were filled with a refrigerant that was not compatible with the compressor. "

·
Registered
975 Posts
When I looked at one of the documents from GM, a PIT, it mentioned that the 2017 AND 2018 Colorado are being studied for the freeze up problem. I suspect that the 2019 is also in that same group. Perhaps as more of the new 2019 units reach their new owners that we will read reports of continuing issues there as well.
Better late than never! I need to remember to report this on my next trip to the Stealership.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Every vehicle I have owned, at least new any way's, while running the A/C, I have always had the "recirc." button pressed and this truck I operate the same way. I would say that I leave it in that mode the entire time that I'm/we are in the vehicle with the A/C running. During our very "humid" summers here in Wisc., I have never had any issues, even while traveling cross country. Maybe I just got a "one-off" truck. Hope GM gets this issue squared away so I will know what to look for or fix if the time ever comes. Good luck to those of you that are affected by this issue. OLDDUDE>:)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would LOVE to get a copy of the bulletin from GM that said "some trucks were filled with a refrigerant that was not compatible with the compressor. "
Still working on getting the bulletin in a form that I can read. PDF or something similar.

But here is the bulletin number and description: 12-01-37-001: Information On New Refrigerant (R-1234yf) For A/C Service

Is someone's Google-foo is better than mine, have at it. But I am still working on it on my end.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Still working on getting the bulletin in a form that I can read. PDF or something similar.

But here is the bulletin number and description: 12-01-37-001: Information On New Refrigerant (R-1234yf) For A/C Service

Is someone's Google-foo is better than mine, have at it. But I am still working on it on my end.
looks like it is just a general info piece on the new 1234. Nothing about fixing anything on a vehicle.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/2578/12-01-37-001-information-on-new-refrigerant-r-1234yf-for-a-c-service-2013-2019-gm-passenger-cars-and-trucks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know you and you don't know me so stop casting doubts on my statements. If I said I read 20 posts across several forums then I did. That was 20+ posts in several threads of people having the same issue. That is inconsistent AC operation including but not limited to frozen lines and evaporator coils and large swings in vent output temperatures. If you don't have anything to add to this discussion then please don't post.
I actually took my 2017 Chevy Colorado with 53,000 miles the dealer 4 days ago & said it was a PIT5625A bulletin that just came out that they had to reprogram the system. After taking it in for five times for the same reason hot air would come out and it would be freezing. I had to shut it down completely turn it back on after about a minute and it would come out very code 5 minutes later it will come out warm and in Arizona that is unacceptable

·
Registered
29 Posts
DaveMtz, after they reprogrammed it, were there any negative issues, like it was "throttled back" and wouldn't cool as well? Or did it cool just fine and normal but stopped freezing up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
According th
DaveMtz, after they reprogrammed it, were there any negative issues, like it was "throttled back" and wouldn't cool as well? Or did it cool just fine and normal but stopped freezing up?
according to them, they are not done with the “programming of it but are very close to resolving this issue. Since I’ve been having this issue since I bought it brand new. They were doing it for free. Dealer did state that they are having many complaints in regards to this. Advisor said maybe a week or 2, service MGR said maybe longer. They said just keep doing what you’ve been doing for now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for update. I called my dealer and asked them about the PIT5625A bulletin. I have the previous version (w/o the "A"). The latest one that my dealer has is the A version and was updated around Nov 15, 2018 and according to the person that I spoke with, it didn't provide a solution. But I'm not positive that they were giving me accurate information. If when you are at your dealer, it would be most helpful if you could find out the latest version. I have tried to get this bulletin on-line and the only way is to pay $15 to 25 to a document dealer and I have no assurance that it is up to date.

BTW, on my 2017 Colorado if I have the AC or Defrost button pressed, the AC clutch is continuously engaged regardless of temperature setting (even if on full heat). I've never had a vehicle like this but some people who perhaps know more than me told me that this is different technology, yada yada.....

Good luck. Please give us an update when all is done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took it in to the shop this morning and gave the service tech pictures of the ice crusted lines and an overview of what has happened. I spoke directly with the service manager and told him what I expected them to do if they could not diagnose the problem. I also copied and printed some of the comments posted on this thread regarding the operation of the temperature sensors. The local GM representative has been put on notice regarding the problem. Now it is a waiting game. I sincerely hope that they can resolve this issue. I am beginning to really like this little truck and don't look forward to the hassle of finding a replacement. I will post an update when I have one. If the issue is resolved I will post what the corrective measure were.
I actually took my 2017 Chevy Colorado with 53,000 miles the dealer 4 days ago & said it was a PIT5625A bulletin that just came out that they had to reprogram the system. After taking it in for five times for the same reason hot air would come out and it would be freezing. I had to shut it down completely turn it back on after about a minute and it would come out very code 5 minutes later it will come out warm and in Arizona that is unacceptable

·
Registered
681 Posts
This issue is still happening? I had this issue the first 6 months after buying my 2017. I actually had forgotten about it. I just stopped using the recirc button and left it at that. Since then the only bad episodes I have had with my truck are all computer stuff. Warranty is up in December so they will start charging me for telling me they do not know why my truck just decides not to start and throws codes then does start with the engine light on and goes into limp mode. I take it to the dealer they reset the computer and Im good to go. Has happened 3 times in 2.5 years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Took my 2017 into the dealer for the a/c freezing up. Its happened twice now, slightly cooled air at vent, fan on high with no flow of air coming out. Dealer said it was a bit over charged, sucked it down and replenished. Well that's what they told me anyway. I'm sure it will happen again but I don't use the truck much during the summer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is DEFINITELY something wrong with the 2017, 18, 19 Colorado A/C system. I've had dozens and dozens of freeze ups. GM thought that it was caused my the Compressor which is a variable displacement swash-plate system. Apparently they thought that the compressor would not "de-stroke" far enough or fast enough and that the temp sensor (the Evaporative Air Temp sensor or EAT sensor) would be able to control the "de-stroking". But, I am recording vent temps well below freezing. I recently had the compressor replaced. Now, the problem is worse. I can measure vent temps as low as 24 degrees when the outside temp is around 90 F. If the vent output air temp is 24 degrees, that means that the evaporator fins are even colder. What do you suppose happens when humid air hits metal that is around 20 degrees? Frost, then freezing, then more freezing, then encapsulating the evaporator with ice, etc. until it is just a block of ice and the inside air temps start to rise.

I am at the point that GM is willing to buy back my Colorado (2017) as a lemon. I otherwise like the truck. I am dumbfounded that they cannot solve this problem. After all, it is just an AC sytem. Also, AC systems have been working reliably since around 1970 or earlier. I am shaking my head that GM Detroit cannot figure out a solution for what would seem to be an easy solution.

So, I am at the end of my rope. I don't want to give up on GM but they haven't found a solution to my problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I drove to Salt Lake City from San Diego recently (8/2019) and the AC gradually gave out as we approached Las Vegas and hotter temperatures. On returning to SD the same problem occurred with the AC and then after returning we took it to our Quality Chevy dealer. Chevy is correcting the problem with a software upgrade. Got my Colorado back today and keeping fingers crossed...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whenever I'm driving for a few hours with the AC on, I get a freeze up condition. An early indication - - before the AC cuts out significantly is the IHX (low-pressure) tub next to the firewall gets frosty. There is a GM bulletin out that says that GM Detroit is aware of an issue but does not yet have a fix. The interim recommendation is that you should run the blower on at least a level 3 and bring in outside air. On mine I found that those things did not eliminate the chance of a freeze up. A month ago Quality replaced my compressor hoping that it would fix it but it didn't. There actually may be another GM bulletin that has come out since my compressor was replaced or may soon come out to address the "tweeking" that you referred to.

My advice to you is to document your problems well so that if they cannot fix it that perhaps your warranty can be extended. If they are successful with "tweek some controls", please come back and post.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whenever I'm driving for a few hours with the AC on, I get a freeze up condition. An early indication - - before the AC cuts out significantly is the IHX (low-pressure) tub next to the firewall gets frosty. There is a GM bulletin out that says that GM Detroit is aware of an issue but does not yet have a fix. The interim recommendation is that you should run the blower on at least a level 3 and bring in outside air. On mine I found that those things did not eliminate the chance of a freeze up. A month ago Quality replaced my compressor hoping that it would fix it but it didn't. There actually may be another GM bulletin that has come out since my compressor was replaced or may soon come out to address the "tweeking" that you referred to.

My advice to you is to document your problems well so that if they cannot fix it that perhaps your warranty can be extended. If they are successful with "tweek some controls", please come back and post.
Stan Irish - - BTW, I took my Colorado to Quality Chev in Escondido.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts
About this Discussion
255 Replies
60 Participants
littleblazer
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing