Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've seen kits for under bed mounting.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was looking for places under the truck for a 2 gallon tank. I think there might be a place but have to check tomorrow since ran out of light lol.

I have like above cept the 2 compressors and want to have a air hose hookup in the bed or back where the license plate is.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Questions here:

I had considered mounting a compressor under the coolant tank and air tank possibly on a frame rail. In the end I purchased a Viair 450P Automatic portable. I am not presenting that as a better solution but rather want to understand advantages of an onboard install. I did change the 150psi filler gauge out for a fluid filled 60psi. The 150psi guage didn't offer resolution needed for low pressure dirt bike fills.

I chose the portable as I preferred the compressor didn't live it's life at under hood temperatures. The compressor, hose and filler/gauge all fit under the CC back seat. I was also concerned about internal rust and maintenance of an onboard tank.
I don't have interest in running power tools so I'm not sure what the tank would add. I'd have to pull the hose and filler out of that location anyway.

So - What am I missing? I can still mount this compressor under the hood and add a frame mounted tank if that would be advantageous.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So - What am I missing?
Nothing. That sounds like it works for you.

That's pretty slick. 1gal enough for air tools?
I don't use air tools so I don't know about that. I use air for inflating tires and air mattresses, blowing off dust/snow/water, pressurizing a water tank, and inflating air springs. Maybe future air lockers.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If you ‘know someone’ who knows how to weld/fabricate - OR contact a local fabrication company ....You could custom build (or have one built) to your custom applications.

A fabrication company can take just about any diameter air tank, cut it down, and weld new ‘caps’ on the ends to shorten it. As well as, drill & weld ports.

We had a custom built tank (2 gallon) that was about 5” in diameter and about 16” long (In a jeep). It fit alongside the frame rail. Long & skinny, but that’s about the only place it would work. Worked perfectly after it was installed.

Get creative....crawl underneath the truck, look around.....take measurements. A

·
Registered
43 Posts
What mount did you use can you share any other info for all the items you purchased that are needed for install?

They sell just the bracket or the arb compressor and bracket combo.

·
Registered
2016, Chevy, Colorado, Z71, CCLB, 4WD, 3.6L, S/C, SS Exh, DB Tonneau, 2in LvL, 1.5in Bora, 30in LED
45 Posts
It seems the main reason for onboard air is to power air lockers. Our trucks don't have air lockers (but I suppose you could install a set of air lockers). So really, its just a matter of preference if you want to permanently mount a compressor and tank somewhere on your rig. Another benefit I suppose would be a better electrical connection as airing up 4 x 33s may melt your cigarette lighter power connection. But then again, you could get a more heavy duty power connection that won't overheat. For most of us, we won't need this capability on a daily basis, so a portable unit should serve most of us pretty well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have you considered a power tank? Fills each 35” in under 1 min. Tough for most compressors to run any type of tool. Really need a high power dual ARB and at min 2 gal tank. It depends on what your intended purpose is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon, 2.8L Diesel, crew cab short bed. No tunes, only mod is Firestone It bags in rear
50 Posts
Depending on size of tanks, might be able to fit near spare tire under bed. If you don't have a diesel, there should be more room. Above/near the spare as you do not have a def tank there. I mounted my Firestone compressor and small tank (1/2 gal I think) above the back of the spare tire bracket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll post some photos when I can. I put an ARB CKMTA12 under the coolant reservoir and then put an Airmaxxx 5 gallon tank under the bed just in front of the spare tire. Then I routed the hose connector to jest behind the grill above the winch. Works great. I just got back from a week in Death Valley and had enough pressure to operate an air jack and an impact wrench when I sliced the sidewall of a tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts