Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this may have been beaten to death already, but I'm still not positive.

So I know without the GMRC kit, I lost the door chimes and an accessory wire.

My question is, if I dont run an accessory wire, will my stereo still operate normally, minus staying on until I take my keys out and open the door?

I don't really need those features, I'd simply like the stereo to work while driving normally or with the ignition on, but truck not started completely.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
But then everytime you turn it on, your stereo will go back to the factory default settings. It won't be able to retain the memory. Not a good idea if you ask me, too much hassle for everytime you get in the truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think these questions fit well into this category: I am installing a Alpine CDA-9856 head unit, Infinity 6010cs, and Infinity 6012i speakers. For the accessories I bought a aftermarket wire harness with the accessory wire, 4 speaker aftermarket connections, an antena connection, dash kit, and ipod cable.
I have two main questions:

When I install the accessory wire, some people have said to piggy back this wire off an accessory fuse like door locks or sunroof. Where does the other end of the wire connect? The head unit aftermarket connector?

Next, since I have a component system, I am taking out the stock tweeters. So I assume I hook up the speaker and tweeter to the crossover and then have the stock speaker wires hook to the crossover using the aftermarket speaker hookup (with modifications).

Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sounds about right...the accesory wire should be a remote turn on for the stereo, and it should go to the aftermarket stereo, but not necessarily the connector (wiring harness). It should be a blue wire coming out of the HU itself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah that makes sense, but I was wondering why they can't just fit that accessory wire in the aftermarket harness. The wire is obviously already there from the factory.

·
Registered
13,515 Posts
Wrayzor said:
But then everytime you turn it on, your stereo will go back to the factory default settings. It won't be able to retain the memory. Not a good idea if you ask me, too much hassle for everytime you get in the truck.
Isn't the accessory wire just the remote turn on wire? Or are you guys talking about a totally different wire than the one I'm thinking of?

I have an aftermarket headunit in my truck, without the GM whatever harness, and I lost the chimes and the RAP, but the headunit itself still works fine, and, actually, if I hook the accessory wire up to something else that runs off RAP (say, power for one of the windows), then I'd retain that as well, I'm just too lazy to rewire it now that I've already done it ;)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think he is talking about the +12 constant that is not present without the wiring adapter, unless I missed his message. He did reference it on the GMRC. Cause the accessory wire is on the headunit. Maybe I misunderstood?

·
Registered
13,515 Posts
Wrayzor said:
I think he is talking about the +12 constant that is not present without the wiring adapter, unless I missed his message. He did reference it on the GMRC. Cause the accessory wire is on the headunit. Maybe I misunderstood?
I think we're all misunderstanding each other :lol:

You're right, if the 12V contsant isn't there, the radio will retain no memory. I thought that the accessory wire was the same as the ignition wire (or remote turn on), since I've heard it called both. If you don't wire up that wire, well, your radio simply won't turn on.

My head hurts :clueless

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I am pretty sure that if he got the standard wiring harness, the blue wire on that will not lead to anything, and the +12V turn on lead is separated from what you would plug into the harness.

That blue wire on the wiring harness is for stereos with a factory amplifier, which we do not have. If you match the leads to the truck, you will find that there is not a lead on the other end going into the truck from that blue lead.

·
Registered
86 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-70-2003-CHEVY-GMC-CAR-WIRING-HARNESS_W0QQitemZ140090655633QQihZ004QQcategoryZ32812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the same harness I have. On the instructions it says:
Due to the fact that a switched 12-volt accessory lead does not exist in the factory harness, an accessory source must be located. Do Not use the 2003's 12-volt accessory wire for these vehicles.
Using the separate red wire provided with the fuse tap, locate an accessory power source in the vehicle's fuse box.
Connect the red wire to the aftermarket head unit switcched accessory lead.
Use metra's standard wiring instructions for the remainder of the installation. (note: to retain the factory door chime and customization features use Metra's 70-2003T and SP-2003.)

I think i just understood the wiring of the red wire, so don't hook up the red wire on the 24 pin harness, just hook the accessory red wire to the accessory fuse and all the way to the accessory wire on the head unit. I still don't understand why the can't put all this **** in the harness in the first place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 06 gmc canyon single cab 3.5l I was hoping to run two 6x9s in boxes back behind the seats I have an aftermarket stereo. How do I determine where exactly to plug my 2 new 6x9s into the back of head unit? Does my speaker wire hook directly to a color code wire ??? Any help would be great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts