Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put the JBA catback stainless exhaust system on my 2004 Titan. I did it for the V8 rumble more than anything else. Kept it until a few days ago when I got the Colorado. Still no rust on the exhaust. Can't say that about the rest of the truck though. Somehow I don't think you will get the same effect on the V6 unless you like that sound. Not for me though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Certain engines just don't sound good with a louder exhaust. The new Raptors sound horrible loud. There is one near my house and it sounds like a ricer. If it does not have a good sound, leave it quiet. People think if it is louder, it is faster but that is not always the case.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sound often has to do with the crank timing. It can be based on a flat crank or the degree of the v of the pistons.

most 60 degree V6. Engines sound better than a 90 degree V6. Buick’s never sounded good but a 2.8 V6 in a Fiero or Firebird could have almost a V8 tone to it. But most V6 engines never measure up to a V8.

My Buddys Viper less the Cats sounds like a school bus. The Z06 Corvette that is coming is getting a flat crank just for sound. It sounds like a more exotic V8 like the Mustang.

the Ford V6 sounds bad even in the Ford GT race car.

Also some combos sound good. Many Mopars sound good stock and with a cheap muffler. Ford Flatheads with glass packs etc.

Our trucks sound ok but I have heard better.

Most 4 cylinders are bad and only a duel outlet can help but it is still not a V8 sound.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB
165 Posts
A Buick GN with a 2.5" exhaust sounds wicked... especially when you hear the turbo through it :cool:

I never got the loud truck thing. To me, it's dumb and dilusional. It just pisses off your neighborhood. But to each his own.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sound often has to do with the crank timing. It can be based on a flat crank or the degree of the v of the pistons.

most 60 degree V6. Engines sound better than a 90 degree V6. Buick’s never sounded good but a 2.8 V6 in a Fiero or Firebird could have almost a V8 tone to it. But most V6 engines never measure up to a V8.

My Buddys Viper less the Cats sounds like a school bus. The Z06 Corvette that is coming is getting a flat crank just for sound. It sounds like a more exotic V8 like the Mustang.

the Ford V6 sounds bad even in the Ford GT race car.

Also some combos sound good. Many Mopars sound good stock and with a cheap muffler. Ford Flatheads with glass packs etc.

Our trucks sound ok but I have heard better.

Most 4 cylinders are bad and only a duel outlet can help but it is still not a V8 sound.
Yea both my 16 and 17 Shelby GT 350's I had from new come with flat plane crank. And in sports mode I never heard such a great deep throaty exhaust that from factory sounded just like old school.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Yea both my 16 and 17 Shelby GT 350's I had from new come with flat plane crank. And in sports mode I never heard such a great deep throaty exhaust that from factory sounded just like old school.
In racing it is good for running high RPMs but for the street they do it for the exotic sound. Vibration is a problem but they appear to have it under control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust. Function or just noise?
The title pretty much says it. Does anyone have any real data (like a Dyno run) to show that an aftermarket exhaust is anything more then a noise maker.

Neild
2019 3.6
IT PUTS ABOUT 20 HP (AKA MONEY IN MUFFLER SALES POCKETS), BUT HONESTLY THESE DAYS I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD GET MUCH MORE THAN NOISE OUT OF IT, UNLESS YOU DID MAJOR WORK ON THE ENGINE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IT PUTS ABOUT 20 HP (AKA MONEY IN MUFFLER SALES POCKETS), BUT HONESTLY THESE DAYS I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD GET MUCH MORE THAN NOISE OUT OF IT, UNLESS YOU DID MAJOR WORK ON THE ENGINE.
Kind of like typing with your caps lock on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Pretty much just noise difference. yeah, I'm sure you gain a little power at the very peak or the RPM, but nothing to make a real difference. That said, sometimes a good noise is worth it lol. (but making a good noise is difficult with these engines)
Ya. I figured a good noise from a small V6 was questionable. I had a Ram before with a 360. Now that was a sweet noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did a delete/HP tune on my 2.8 diesel and picked up 3 mpgs. Then did a turbo back after market exhaust. Sound was great and picked up another 2 mpgs. Unfortunately after around 8k miles the tune didn't truly do a delete and the truck went into exhaust clean mode and the only way to fix it was put the OEM restricted exhaust back on. I'm so disappointed.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts