Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aftermarket exhaust. Function or just noise?
The title pretty much says it. Does anyone have any real data (like a Dyno run) to show that an aftermarket exhaust is anything more then a noise maker.

Neild
2019 3.6

·
Registered
302 Posts
I could see getting a few more for a real dual setup vs the merge that we have but... the exhaust on these trucks is pretty damn free flowing for the application and power produced imo. There is probably more variation dyno to dyno than what you'd pick up in power even with a tune I'd guess. I've never on any forum ive been on seen a clean AB dyno comparison from stock to modded exhaust. Its always headers, tune, intake and exhaust. So it isn't fair.

I'd love to see it and will dig around a bit though to see if I'm wrong but for now, I'll say it saves a bit of weight and probably is just louder.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
331 Posts
I can do 3 dyno runs. Not change the exhaust. Pick the one that made 10 extra hp because computers do silly things. And then post that here and say "Aftermarket Exhausts Work!"

I would not trust any source unless it's 20 pages and peer reviewed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I can do 3 dyno runs. Not change the exhaust. Pick the one that made 10 extra hp because computers do silly things. And then post that here and say "Aftermarket Exhausts Work!"

I would not trust any source unless it's 20 pages and peer reviewed.
I mean if I did 3 dyno pulls at a place like ECS and averaged it, then lopped off the exhaust at the down pipes and ran 3 more pulls and averaged them and compared the averaged values using a stat analysis software and said there was no significant difference to be measured between the 3 runs... that would be close enough no? I have nothing to gain there as I just trashed my truck and what I modified would be before where any cat back system attaches... so if it doesn't improve removing all the junk before it too I would doubt it would after as well?

A well laid out test with properly analyzed data and figures and someone stating their findings and not preaching one way or another is good enough for me. That allows you to draw your own conclusions. I think if someone were to do that it would be a fine test...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I went with the gibson muffler instead and very happy. Little bit of deeper growl than stock muffler and ONLY if u step on the gas pedal..otherwise it's silent. Mine sounds very similar to the 2nd gen taco (4.0 V6) (probably the best Taco engine).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
More noise than gain.

Generally the gain if any is modest and most of today’s vehicle have a learn feature that adjust any gains out unless the vehicle is tune with a learn delete.

Gains of 5 to 15 HP is not much and generally not real noticeable. They also are at higher RPM where they are not noticed.

Most of today’s exhaust are pretty free flowing. They can make more noise but drive by noise laws by the DOT restrict the sound. They can open up the noise but stiLol need to keep flow close as they can play havoc with O2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
You might save weight but I wouldn't count on getting much extra hp out of it without a power adder.

Some people just want a loud truck...Those people need to be slapped. :p
GMPP isn't exactly Bubba truck level, its just changing the cans around for a little more throat
I say noise, but still tolerable.

I have an exhaust Im sitting on until I get the CAI to go in. One without the other, or a tune, isn't going to produce much.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB
165 Posts
Like I said you might save some weight. I could hardly believe how big the muffler on my Canyon was when I was unbolting the side steps. It has to be at least 30" long :oops:

Anybody know if the stock exhaust is stainless? My 2000 S10s was...I saw no reason to do a cat back mild steel Debbie Gibson exhaust. SS is major coin.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I doubt its stainless. That was old gm. Mines got pretty significant rust on it already too...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Like I said you might save some weight. I could hardly believe how big the muffler on my Canyon was when I was unbolting the side steps. It has to be at least 30" long :oops:

Anybody know if the stock exhaust is stainless? My 2000 S10s was...I saw no reason to do a cat back mild steel Debbie Gibson exhaust. SS is major coin.
The factory is stainless.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
So its 409 or similar?
It is 409.

With Emissions warranties today just about all exhaust are 409 today. It has a lower nickel content that cuts the cost but still is very rust resist. It may have some surface rust but not likely to rust out anything as bad as coated steel.

Lots of people get confused on this as they assume magnets will not stick and it has to be Borla shinny to be stainless.

304 just has more nickel and it keeps a better finish and cuts the magnetic effect but it will tarnish. But you pay for the Nickel.

The exhaust on our trucks is likely to last as long as the truck unless it is damaged or subjected to extreme conditions.

My Pontiac is 35 years old this year and it is stainless from the heads to tips and it is like new. My buddies Pontiac is as old and I got it started for the first time since 1990 and his exhaust is fine but the one heat shield. Both are 409.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It is 409.

With Emissions warranties today just about all exhaust are 409 today. It has a lower nickel content that cuts the cost but still is very rust resist. It may have some surface rust but not likely to rust out anything as bad as coated steel.

Lots of people get confused on this as they assume magnets will not stick and it has to be Borla shinny to be stainless.

304 just has more nickel and it keeps a better finish and cuts the magnetic effect but it will tarnish. But you pay for the Nickel.

The exhaust on our trucks is likely to last as long as the truck unless it is damaged or subjected to extreme conditions.

My Pontiac is 35 years old this year and it is stainless from the heads to tips and it is like new. My buddies Pontiac is as old and I got it started for the first time since 1990 and his exhaust is fine but the one heat shield. Both are 409.
Gotcha. I never paid attention to the specifics in material science as far as stainless.. just didn't interest me. I was just surprised going from 2002 gmt to a 2018 and the exhaust on the 02 is in way better (visual) shape than the 18 is all. I did replace the 02 exhaust but with almost 300k miles on it, something finally broke off inside and rattled like a mofo.

Thank you for the info and correction. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The weight is a very valid point. I've looked and the thing that's under there is monstrous. It's got to have some weight to it.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Not a comment on our trucks, but I'll sometimes hear some small Japanese cars with modified exhaust and then I'll turn my head to look and be amazed at how much noise they make accelerating to 25 mph. It's hard to believe they are any faster.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts