Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Wonder if the material is just too hard for the application. Typically if you increase hardness, you also increase brittleness. You could probably prevent the cracking like Zed suggested w/ enlarged holes or some sort of bushing but these things were designed to take impacts. The cracking from frame/component shifts like this makes me wonder if the material used isn't well suited for the application and if materials with just a bit more flexibility is a good thing in this case. Even if they fix the issue around the bolt holes, I'd be interested in seeing real world results from those who take impacts on their skids. Wonder if they'll experience cracking instead of denting.
So this thread got me interested in seeing what mine are looking like, so I just took a look under my rig and it turns out that I have multiple stress fractures, and only one appears to be next to a bolt hole. Just from looking at it, these seem like they are caused by torsional forces, and not impacts; in fact, I have no impacts and/or drag marks on any of my AEV skids that I can find (though I do have a nice one on the factory aluminum one up front and no cracks there, go figure). These skids have been on the truck for about a year or so (I think), and while the truck does see pretty regular offroad use, it has certainly not been abused because it's also my daily driver. Maybe they are brittle; I'll need to email AEV and see what the deal is with these skids either way.

Here are some quick pics that I took; pardon the dirt and mud, as I was just wheeling yesterday, but you should still be able to see the cracks with no problem (assuming that my imgur links work, lol).

This is the only crack by a bolt hole, and it's on the fuel tank skid.

This crack is "out in the open" on the transfer case skid. You can see another fracture a couple inches to the left of it in the pic with the measuring tape.

This was the longest one, also on the transfer case skid.

By way of comparison, the skids that take the most wear and tear (by far!) are the shock skids from 589fab, and they've held up like a boss for well over two years now. 馃憤

Registered
Thank you for the pictures. Really hope AEV works things out for those with these skids. I was considering picking up some pieces for my Z71 and while I wasn't in a rush due to cost I'll wait this out to see what ends up happening.

Keep us posted for those of you reaching out to AEV.

Registered
I haven't gone to the dealer yet as Covid-19 is raising high in Austin, but I'll give my selling dealer a call and see if they will send someone out to check it out and start the process.

Registered
Has anyone had issues? I was just adding some touchup paint to a tiny scrape and noticed cracks on both sides where the skid attaches to the cross beam that goes between the frame rails. I have the full set of AEV skids that fit on the standard ZR2, so everything except the OEM aluminum skid in the front bumper area. All other skids appear to be fine, not even a scratch. This truck has seen occasional offroading and has been taken care of nicely. Of course I just past the one year mark, wish I had noticed it sooner, for warranty. Not sure what to do at this point, can boron even be welded? Is there an underlying issue with this particular skid I received or some other issue I need to address before attempting a repair...? Thoughts?

View attachment 392698
View attachment 392697
Hey This is Chris at AEV. Please call me to discuss further. 248-926-0256 press the option for warranty.

Premium Member
Interesting information on the following internet search. Chinese Steel, Boron cracking, tax rebates. Disclosure of Boron content, American vs Chinese steel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I called and am currently working with Chris at AEV.

I think the application of the transfercase skid plate just needs an engineering fine tune with how it is attached to the crossbeam and all will be good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
So this thread got me interested in seeing what mine are looking like, so I just took a look under my rig and it turns out that I have multiple stress fractures, and only one appears to be next to a bolt hole. Just from looking at it, these seem like they are caused by torsional forces, and not impacts; in fact, I have no impacts and/or drag marks on any of my AEV skids that I can find (though I do have a nice one on the factory aluminum one up front and no cracks there, go figure). These skids have been on the truck for about a year or so (I think), and while the truck does see pretty regular offroad use, it has certainly not been abused because it's also my daily driver. Maybe they are brittle; I'll need to email AEV and see what the deal is with these skids either way.

Here are some quick pics that I took; pardon the dirt and mud, as I was just wheeling yesterday, but you should still be able to see the cracks with no problem (assuming that my imgur links work, lol).

This is the only crack by a bolt hole, and it's on the fuel tank skid.

This crack is "out in the open" on the transfer case skid. You can see another fracture a couple inches to the left of it in the pic with the measuring tape.

This was the longest one, also on the transfer case skid.

By way of comparison, the skids that take the most wear and tear (by far!) are the shock skids from 589fab, and they've held up like a boss for well over two years now. 馃憤
Sorry to see this. Forgive me if I鈥檓 wrong but for the pic where you mentioned the crack by the bolt hole, I think that is still the transfercase skidplate...? I recall the tank skid being held by a couple hangers under the bed area and then attaching to the back edge rear bumper side of the transfer case skid.

I also have the 589 HD Shick skids and agree they are good.

Registered
Hey This is Chris at AEV. Please call me to discuss further. 248-926-0256 press the option for warranty.
While I hope this is an isolated event, it's very encouraging to see at AEV rep jumping in when something comes up. Chris, I hope you come back and keep us all in the loop.

Registered
I know my truck was within the first 12 production trucks made at the factory. But I doubt AEV has changed anything to that skid plate before hearing these 3 trucks that have the same problem.

Registered
I just went out and looked at mine. Clean. Granted, I bought my truck in December right before my wife had a baby, and then as soon as we were released from the baby quarantine, we were met with the Coronavirus quarantine, and I have done ZERO wheeling, and don't even have 5K on the truck yet...

What's the breakdown between factory and aftermarket? I wonder if there's an installation element vis a vis overtorquing mounting bolts? I count two factory installs and two aftermarket.

Registered
Seeing the picture from 93Duc makes me think maybe the metal is weakened by the embossing for that bolt hole. Looks like a few bends in the sheet metal around that area. I wonder if its just the right amount of stress there to weaken the bolt hole area.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts