Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
AEV is offering an upgrade to existing Bison/ZR2 owners. I don't see how that tarnishes their image. Would you prefer they roll out the upgrades as an exclusive to next years Bison. I know I wouldn't.
So you'd be ok paying a premium for a Bison package ZR2 with the expressed intention of later upgrades, only to find out later that those upgrades would have been A) cheaper if you didn't buy the Bison but the regular ZR2 (as is the case in the 'Bison Plus') or B) that the upgrades were later not offered for your model of truck (as is the case with the extended cab trucks)?

They have screwed the pooch on this, no two ways about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't see the problem. If you already own a Bison the only parts they added were highmark fender flares, crestone wheels and center bull bar. All those parts are available Individually. Cheaper than shelling out cash for a full blown package. If you own a ZR2 it's going to cost considerably more. The rest of the AEV package amounts to additional branding and a build plaque. Outside of a gear swap that is. Which you can do yourself or take it to a shop. The gears they use are Nitro

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I agree, I bought the ZR2, not for future upgrades but for all the upgrades are already built in to it that I wanted (except for cooled seats).

I do not know, but when the Bison first came out, did GM say their supplier was coming out with bigger flares so you can changed out the 30 inch tires to 35's?

If I bought the flare package for my ZR2, I still would not have the Bison front and rear bumpers or winch brackets.
I bought a 2017 ZR2 Deep Woods Green as that color was only available on the ZR2. The next year it was an option on all lines, whoa is me..

Now I have no idea why GM did not come out for one off colors for the ZR2 or Bison..

You can install the whole High Mark kit on a WT, but you would still not have the Bison bumpers/skids or winch..
I've mentioned this previously, why people buy the Z71/AT4/Denali or ZR2 paaint everything black, then tear out the suspension/wheels/debadge etc, when they could have bought a WT and upgraded everything and come out a lot cheaper

Most things at SEMA never see the light of day,

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't see the problem. If you already own a Bison the only parts they added were highmark fender flares, crestone wheels and center bull bar. All those parts are available Individually. Cheaper than shelling out cash for a full blown package. If you own a ZR2 it's going to cost considerably more. The rest of the AEV package amounts to additional branding and a build plaque. Outside of a gear swap that is. Which you can do yourself or take it to a shop. The gears they use are Nitro
There are more optional parts than the ones you mentioned, but you are right - you likely wouldn't see the issue if you didn't spend extra cash on a Bison from Chevrolet, and especially so if you have a crew cab model.

If one was wanting the 'Bison Plus', they'd be better off starting with a base model ZR2
Starting with an OEM Bison (that one paid Chevrolet an added ~$6k for) to save $1050 on the Bison+ package or start with a far cheaper ZR2, pay $1050 more plus the $3825 for an added front bumper and skid plates.
You'd save around $1200 by starting with a ZR2, and likely more depending on the deal you got off of dealer for a far more common model of truck than is the OEM Bison.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure why I can't edit the above, but to add:
With respect to the additional branding and build plaque - that may seem superficial to some, especially considering AEV is still in business and still producing these vehicles. However, consider also that AEV conversion Brutes and Prospectors command a premium and hold their value. Think down the road a few dozen years.
Think about current automotive history in stuff like NAPCO converted pick-ups and Yenko Camaros.....
Certainly not on most people's minds when they are purchasing a vehicle to enjoy in the present, and quite likely not on the minds of guys buying regular Colorados or ZR2s, but I'd bet it has crossed the minds of those that purchased the Bison model...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
The original Bison as it came OEM from Chevy are per pair of wheel wells - so front set and then rear set.

ht_tps://www.aev-conversions.com/product/colorado-fender-flares/

21 - 29 of 29 Posts