Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, AEV just released their fabled Highmark flares.

AEV held everyone is suspense about the Highmark flares for literally a year (since 2019 Overland Expo West), granted the virus didn't help. They had no solid release date nor could they provide one, again the virus didnt help. Practically no information available other than pictures and it is for stuffing 35's. Folks had to ask in the IG comments about price and fit, to which they were only answered in the last couple days after their actual release date was announced. BTW, they are ONLY for CC/SB ZR2/Bisons. Looking at the instructions, it NEEDS to be a ZR2 or Bison as well, no Z71, etc.. The templates required the preexisting holes to use for the template. No extended cab option. There are two different front kits, one for ZR2 bumper, one for Bison bumper. Mud flaps are available for an extra $160. AEV also failed to mention that their wheels or wheel spacers are required.

The best part is the "limited stock" that they mentioned "due to the virus". You can't buy a complete kit on their release date. The screen shot below was right as the part was added to the website which they missed the 1:00 PM EST release time by well over half an hour. (I auto-refreshed every 20 sec since 9:45 PST) Stock still has not changed as i'm typing this up.

I've never seen such a terrible product release on arguably one of the most hyped and desired products to come out for these trucks. You did well when releasing the Bison and all the accompanying accessories, but this was an absolute fail. And as an Extended Cab ZR2 owner who was waiting with credit card in hand, i'm extremely disappointed that you couldn't officially let us know it was only for CC/SB trucks until two days before in an IG comment reply.

Discuss.

flares.PNG

flare2.PNG

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
OUCH $1,350 for a set of flares????

Key Features:
  • Allows for the fitment of 35” tall tires w/ NO LIFT*
  • Front and rear integrated LED marker lights
  • Extremely durable and UV-stable ABS construction
  • Standard ZR2 and ZR2 Bison specific kits
  • Includes custom closeout panels to integrate with the OE wheel liners
  • Optional AEV Splash Guards sold separately
  • Made in the USA
wonder if : true" 35 inch" tires? most that say 35 ussualy come out around 34 to 34.25

why have a little yellow light on the flares?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Irony upon irony, the orange truck they use as a picture is an Extended Cab, albeit they have their "prototype" flat bed on it.

That truck was at Expo West 2019:

Yes, it would of been nice if they would of let us Extended Cab owners they weren't willing to spend the money to design them for us.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@emulous74 That's the hook that got me last year too. Was super excited that their prototype flare was on an ex cab. Spoiler on the "prototype tray" it's a $2600 unit specifically for the Colorado, from Ute Ltd. AEV just painted it and threw some badges on it.

@Hunter62 You have to cut like 3" off the rear of the fender. I'm sure a true 35 would have no issues. And for the price, you get a purpose built high clearance fender kit with all the supporting bits and pieces. Quite an upgrade from their $330/pair Bison flares that likely reduce your acceptable tire clearance. Even compared to fiberglass which you need to fab up liners, adjust fitment and paint, these are worth the price for what you get. At least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
@emulous74 That's the hook that got me last year too. Was super excited that their prototype flare was on an ex cab. Spoiler on the "prototype tray" it's a $2600 unit specifically for the Colorado, from Ute Ltd. AEV just painted it and threw some badges on it.

@Hunter62 You have to cut like 3" off the rear of the fender. I'm sure a true 35 would have no issues. And for the price, you get a purpose built high clearance fender kit with all the supporting bits and pieces. Quite an upgrade from their $330/pair Bison flares that likely reduce your acceptable tire clearance. Even compared to fiberglass which you need to fab up liners, adjust fitment and paint, these are worth the price for what you get. At least that's my opinion.
I kknow how they go on and how much ya need to cut, as there is a video out showing that

I would have to see that true 35 first, a Falken 35/12.50/17 some one put on and measured them at 34, their specs even say they are not 35...

no issues IF you go with their wheels or use spacers...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kknow how they go on and how much ya need to cut, as there is a video out showing that

I would have to see that true 35 first, a Falken 35/12.50/17 some one put on and measured them at 34, their specs even say they are not 35...

no issues IF you go with their wheels or use spacers...
Tire sizing is definitely weird. Lots of "optical inch" measuring going on. I have 35x10.50r17 Kenda Klever RTs sitting in the living room. They measure just over 34". When they get bald they'll be close to a standard 33 (32.5").

Most folks don't realize that spacers and low/negative offset actually hurt scrub radius clearance. All marketing to sell their wheels.

Regardless, I'm just gonna have to go the no flare route now. I really wanted these flares because I wouldn't need to cut my Relentless bumper to make it look right. I'll end up looking like this when I'm done...

Screenshot_20200504-160738.png

·
Registered
134 Posts
A question for you all? Why will it not fit on the extended cab? The front fenders should be the same, right? The rears look to have the fuel filler door in different locations, so if you have the extended cab, the drivers rear flare will have the cut out for that. Is that the only difference?

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
A question for you all? Why will it not fit on the extended cab? The front fenders should be the same, right? The rears look to have the fuel filler door in different locations, so if you have the extended cab, the drivers rear flare will have the cut out for that. Is that the only difference?
Yes, it is all about the filler door...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, it is all about the filler door...
Thanks, did not know it there were more than that. So the way I see it, there are a few option.
  1. Wait till AEV brings out a compatible kit
  2. Do nothing
  3. Install the kit and have the fuel door not match up
  4. Buy a CC fuel door and have a body shop move the filler, patch the old hole and install the kit. Probably real spendy! 💰
I am not in the market for these right now. But lets say someone with an extended cab where to install them, and then later sells them because AEV finally got with it, I might take it of off their hands.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, did not know it there were more than that. So the way I see it, there are a few option.
  1. Wait till AEV brings out a compatible kit
  2. Do nothing
  3. Install the kit and have the fuel door not match up
  4. Buy a CC fuel door and have a body shop move the filler, patch the old hole and install the kit. Probably real spendy! 💰
I am not in the market for these right now. But lets say someone with an extended cab where to install them, and then later sells them because AEV finally got with it, I might take it of off their hands.
The other main problem is that the "release" was just AEV posting it on their website without stock. Not sure anyone was able to purchase a complete set at all.

I had auto-refresh going every 20sec. As soon as it came up, it said out of stock on both the ZR2 front AND the rear kit like my picture shows. Up until now, there is no evidence that AEV has or will develop a long bed flare. When someone asked on IG, they didn't say that they are coming later, they said CC/SB only.

From a business standpoint, I get it. CC/SB ZR2/Bison trucks outnumber the ExCabs probably 20:1. I can't imagine their preexisting Bison Flare kit has sold many ExCab units. It's a niche market for sure.

As for grafting in a SB fuel door, it would probably be much more cost effective to have a body shop retrofit different flares to fit 35s. I bet Fiberwerx or McNeil could develop long bed prerunner bedsides for cheaper. Even that would still come down to R&D cost vs forecasted sales. It's like the aftermarket GMC Canyon front bumper options. Initial market is there, but future profitability probably not.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
432 Posts
Awfully expensive.

I'm more of a reciprocating saw kind of guy. That price would put a fella close to a decent junkyard sourced SAS.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awfully expensive.

I'm more of a reciprocating saw kind of guy. That price would put a fella close to a decent junkyard sourced SAS.
Different strokes for different folks. Because AEV is refusing to make long bed flares, i'll be going back to the angle grinder myself. I'll use the money for a regear or some nice wheels. My factory wheels are a bit chewed up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not that it helps the ext cab folk. But if you want the fender kit you can place your order now and they'll ship when their manufacturing is back up and running after the covid19 lockdown. I was also eagerly watching their site around 11am mountain for these to show up. Just after 11 gave up and called. They had bison kits left but not the standard zr2 kits. And the rears are were gone as well. I suspect the limited quantity they had went to people who called early and had everything lined up for the drop time.

For me the draw for the kit isn't just the tire size. And they do run 35x12.50 tires. It was the fit fit and finish of the pieces that cover the places you cut off. I have seen videos where debris and water can collect by the pinch weld that you have to cut. Also i liked that they had splash guards made to work with the kit. I've only had the truck one winter but I am sick of ice and mud on my door handles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I managed to purchase a set for my Z71. I've already upgraded the bumper to the AEV Bison so I went with that set of flares. Curious though, In regards to the template. The instructions say to align it with pre-drilled holes. The Z71 didn't come with flares so there's no existing holes. I guess I will just have to approximate for that

·
Registered
29 Posts
AEV's manufacturing and marketing is pretty bizarre. This, to me only tarnishes their reputation.

People went out and paid considerable cash for upgrades on a regular ZR2 in the Bison models. They paid for that AEV badge and other stuff thinking that not only were they buying a limited edition truck from GM that teamed with a highly regarded off-road aftermarket firm, there was clear indication that consideration for upgrades from AEV like these high-mark flairs were eventually coming for their trucks too. Why else would a company film videos and attend trade shows like SEMA and Expo flaunting their unique upgrades to the overlanding and off-road community?
They can't think that the average purchaser of GM products in general and the Colorado specifically are seriously going to drop the $5-7k over and above the price of a ZR2, for a Bison edition from GM? No, they realized they created a niche truck for the (predominant) overlanding and off-road community, and the marketing followed that reasonable line of thinking.

AEV then offer their own 'Bison Plus' package for not only the OEM Bisons bought through GM, but one for regular ZR2s whereby the purchaser ends up with the same truck, but it works out to be a cheaper option than buying the Bison through GM and having it upgraded through AEV!
So now you have Bison owners sitting there scratching their heads thinking 'what was the point of me supporting this whole endeavour by buying the AEV packaged Bison through GM?'
To me, a Bison owner who did just that - purchased one from a GM dealer with thoughts of building it up to something similar to that prototype model - that appears to be a pretty nasty 'bait and switch'.
It is likely that was never the intention, however it would have been nice to have been given a glimpse of their marketing programme prior to making my purchase.

This business where the extended cabs are being left out of the equation for the high-mark flares would have me pretty disappointed if I had purchased an extended cab Bison with the intention of upgrading it through AEV down the road.

If I had one, I'd probably be looking at off-loading it and going with a truck with better aftermarket support overall. A Tacoma or Gladiator were in the running prior to me purchasing the Colorado, and if I'm completely honest, the Colorado would likely not have made the list without AEV's involvement with the Bison.

·
Registered
432 Posts
AEV's manufacturing and marketing is pretty bizarre. This, to me only tarnishes their reputation.

People went out and paid considerable cash for upgrades on a regular ZR2 in the Bison models. They paid for that AEV badge and other stuff thinking that not only were they buying a limited edition truck from GM that teamed with a highly regarded off-road aftermarket firm, there was clear indication that consideration for upgrades from AEV like these high-mark flairs were eventually coming for their trucks too. Why else would a company film videos and attend trade shows like SEMA and Expo flaunting their unique upgrades to the overlanding and off-road community?
They can't think that the average purchaser of GM products in general and the Colorado specifically are seriously going to drop the $5-7k over and above the price of a ZR2, for a Bison edition from GM? No, they realized they created a niche truck for the (predominant) overlanding and off-road community, and the marketing followed that reasonable line of thinking.

AEV then offer their own 'Bison Plus' package for not only the OEM Bisons bought through GM, but one for regular ZR2s whereby the purchaser ends up with the same truck, but it works out to be a cheaper option than buying the Bison through GM and having it upgraded through AEV!
So now you have Bison owners sitting there scratching their heads thinking 'what was the point of me supporting this whole endeavour by buying the AEV packaged Bison through GM?'
To me, a Bison owner who did just that - purchased one from a GM dealer with thoughts of building it up to something similar to that prototype model - that appears to be a pretty nasty 'bait and switch'.
It is likely that was never the intention, however it would have been nice to have been given a glimpse of their marketing programme prior to making my purchase.

This business where the extended cabs are being left out of the equation for the high-mark flares would have me pretty disappointed if I had purchased an extended cab Bison with the intention of upgrading it through AEV down the road.

If I had one, I'd probably be looking at off-loading it and going with a truck with better aftermarket support overall. A Tacoma or Gladiator were in the running prior to me purchasing the Colorado, and if I'm completely honest, the Colorado would likely not have made the list without AEV's involvement with the Bison.
Interesting post. :unsure:

Not to change the subject but
what’s up with the CJ-5 in your signature? That’s a pretty early model year for the 5 if my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First year for the 5. Shares the tub and windshield from the M38A1.
Mostly original with a few tweaks.
I don't drive it much due to 5.38 gearing in the axles, drums and drunks all around, and no overdrive.
I'm the third owner according to the last fellow, and I've owned it for 24 years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
First year for the 5. Shares the tub and windshield from the M38A1.
Mostly original with a few tweaks.
I don't drive it much due to 5.38 gearing in the axles, drums and drunks all around, and no overdrive.
I'm the third owner according to the last fellow, and I've owned it for 24 years.
Very cool. (y)

I rebuild and upgrade Dana 20 transfer cases as a hobby so I rarely tinker with those older model 5s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
AEV is offering an upgrade to existing Bison/ZR2 owners. I don't see how that tarnishes their image. Would you prefer they roll out the upgrades as an exclusive to next years Bison. I know I wouldn't.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts