Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aev just released at sema their zr2, it's listed just as a concept at the moment but they hope to release some parts to the public in the future. My brother use to own a aev built rubicon and it was pretty badass.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/31/chevy-colorado-zr2-aev-and-race-development-trucks-sema/

American Expedition Vehicles is mostly known for building some of the most badass Jeeps and Rams around. Models like the Brute, Recruit and Prospector are serious vehicles meant for off-roading and overlanding. While AEV may have a history with Chrysler, for SEMA 2018 Chevrolet partnered with the off-road outfitter for the Colorado ZR2 AEV, a one-off concept fitted with just about everything one needs to tackle an overlanding adventure.

The Colorado ZR2 is one of the most capable factory trucks around. The trick Multimatic DSSV spool-valve shocks have been re-tuned for this application. Other suspension upgrades include front and rear jounce shocks, plunging front half-shafts, high-angle upper ball joint and increased stiffness high-angle tie rods. The travel on the leaf springs has also been increased. The rear diff also gets a new cover.

There have been plenty of other mods and custom features added to the truck. AEV has added new front and rear bumpers, new underbody skid plates, a bed rack, new fender flares and a snorkel for the 2.8-liter turbo-diesel inline-four. 35-inch BFGoodrich KM2 Mud-Terrain tires wrap AEV beadlock wheels. Both the front and rear get bright LED light bars. In the bed there's a ARB refrigerator, aluminum storage cases and NATO-style fuel cans. For recovery, the truck comes with a Warn winch, recovery shackles, a Hi-Lift jack and MAXTRAX sliders. On the side of the bed you can find connectors for air and water. The whole truck looks mean in a light shade of brown. Here's hoping AEV will offer some of these parts for public consumption.

In addition to Colorado ZR2 AEV, Chevy has rolled out a Colorado ZR2 Race Development Truck. While the ZR2 AEV was made for overlanding, this second truck is all about high-speed desert racing. It has all the same suspension upgrades as the ZR2 AEV — re-tuned shocks, long-travel leaf springs, etc. — but adds a 1.5-inch body lift. The truck also gets skid plates for the rear shocks and rear diff. The driveshaft is now made of steel, and the wheels get new spacers and extended length studs. There's a new intake and exhaust for the 3.6-liter V6. Both trucks get electronic locking differentials.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lot of different Colorado's being shown lately that would be awsum if they released some parts or even graphics from.
Colorado seems to be gaining some traction now in the mod community.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That is two separate concepts with a clean snorkel design, and zero production models yet, for those counting at home.

That bumper setup is awesome. Still not sold on that grille design, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just ran across this. I'm drooling. How do I get that front bumper/winch setup???! I want to get my Hella lights off the roof and onto the front (where these ones, at least, belong). That bumper would be perfect... plus winch integration... want so bad it hurts. I'm gonna reach out to them and see how long till they sell this stuff...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just ran across this. I'm drooling. How do I get that front bumper/winch setup???! I want to get my Hella lights off the roof and onto the front (where these ones, at least, belong). That bumper would be perfect... plus winch integration... want so bad it hurts. I'm gonna reach out to them and see how long till they sell this stuff...
Four companies I'm aware of make hood hinge mounts to move some lights lower, Baja Designs ,Alternative Offroad, ZRoadZ, and the cheapest at $60, Rago Fab

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I already tried buying that grille last month but my order was cancelled because it wasnt released yet even thoigh it has a part number. Hopefully it will soon.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
That is two separate concepts with a clean snorkel design, and zero production models yet, for those counting at home.

That bumper setup is awesome. Still not sold on that grille design, though.
Is that supposed to benefit anything? Cause thats about as useful a snorkel as tits on a Bull. :serious:

Yeah gonna drill my fender for what 1ft of fording depth :crying:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I want the snorkel and the bead locks. I like tat they are 16" wheels, so you get more sidewall. Surprised they fit over the brakes though.

I don't like the bumper. It looks like a regular Colorado bumper. They filled in the part that was cut away to make the ZR2. Kind of loses the ZR2 look I think.

I'm torn on the grill. Trying to picture it on my truck with the letters in red.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
35s...... *drool*

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
What are they doing about ring and pinon sets? 35's are going to want 5:13's or better.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I want the snorkel and the bead locks. I like tat they are 16" wheels, so you get more sidewall.
The base Colorado and Canyon come with 16" wheels. I think the ZR2 uses the same brakes as the other trucks in the lineup.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I want the snorkel and the bead locks. I like tat they are 16" wheels, so you get more sidewall. Surprised they fit over the brakes though.

I don't like the bumper. It looks like a regular Colorado bumper. They filled in the part that was cut away to make the ZR2. Kind of loses the ZR2 look I think.

I'm torn on the grill. Trying to picture it on my truck with the letters in red.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See I like the bumper. It does not look so out there as some, it just kind of blends in.. I like the look of the stock bumper and grill too so it is hard to modify it so much for me.
I think they did a great job on designing the look of the front of the Colorado.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For what it's worth...

Hello Dan,

The Colorado ZR2 AEV Concept is a one-off concept vehicle that we collaborated with GM on over the past year.
AEV doesn’t have any plans to expand outside of Jeep/Chrysler, but we are using this build to gauge interest from customers, and see how our brand resonates with other OE vehicle manufacturer's customers (GM, Ford, Toyota).
Currently, this is just a concept vehicle, and neither GM or AEV has any plans to produce any vehicles or parts, but if you enjoy the concept vehicle, engage with AEV and GM on social media and let us know!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
For what it's worth...

Hello Dan,

The Colorado ZR2 AEV Concept is a one-off concept vehicle that we collaborated with GM on over the past year.
AEV doesn’t have any plans to expand outside of Jeep/Chrysler, but we are using this build to gauge interest from customers, and see how our brand resonates with other OE vehicle manufacturer's customers (GM, Ford, Toyota).
Currently, this is just a concept vehicle, and neither GM or AEV has any plans to produce any vehicles or parts, but if you enjoy the concept vehicle, engage with AEV and GM on social media and let us know!
Pretty much GM's wording when the ZR2 Concept came out and look what happened there >:)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.