Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
From my understanding, the AEV flares do not give you any additional coverage if you put them on a ZR2. Seeing that the ZR2 is 2.5" wider up front than the Z71, adding the AEV flares should give you 2.5" added coverage, right? Am I missing something, like the ZR2 has different front fenders?

You could just get these for the front?
That 2.5" is not the body width difference, just the stance from different control arms. The bodies are the same (except of course the front bumper and fascia area, and the hood).

·
Registered
2019 ZR2, Duramax, Cajun Red, Tucson, AZ
261 Posts
That 2.5" is not the body width difference, just the stance from different control arms. The bodies are the same (except of course the front bumper and fascia area).
Correct, but the flares on the ZR2 adds width compared to the Z71. The OP wants to go 3" wider, so by all accounts, if he does nothing he is .5" pass body, which is .25" per side assuming the ZR2 tires sits flush with the fenders. Then add the ZR2 flares and he should be golden.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Correct, but the flares on the ZR2 adds width compared to the Z71. The OP wants to go 3" wider, so by all accounts, if he does nothing he is .5" pass body, which is .25" per side assuming the ZR2 tires sits flush with the fenders. Then add the ZR2 flares and he should be golden.
Gotcha. To be honest, I think he's going to end up with 5" total and not the 3" total that the shop told him, based on the Baja Kits website:

"Track Width - 2.5" wider per side (5" wider total) 1” wider per side on a ZR2 ( 2” wider total )"

Unless there's a different kit the OP got (I asked earlier and didn't get a response) than the 2.5 kit I see on the website. 2015+ Chevy Colorado 4WD +2.5 Prerunner Kit | Baja Kits

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have the Pre-Runner Kit (two control arms per wheel plus CV Joints), and it is now installed, save and except some issues with alignment and the CV Joints. It sticks out about an inch from the fenders, but after new CV Joints and alignment, that could change. I'll post pictures when it is completed next week.

The shop installed the Deaver Pack to the rear, which adds about 1" to stock height. BajaKits recommended Method One Wheels and 33" tires, so they were added as well. The shop leveled the King Coil Overs to match the rear height of the truck after the Deaver Pack and new wheels and tires. So the overall lift is not much, about 2" or so.

I picked this lift and suspension kit based on recommendations from King Shocks and my needs for a long travel shock. While there is a plethora of lift kits, King recommended Bajakits for their long travel coil overs with a reservoir. I think it is a 14" travel shock and is custom valved to the weight of the truck, both front and rear. I had to email King with the weight of the new bumpers and winch.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OK, I did not know that. My shop said alignment may change that dimension slightly, so we are waiting until it is all done before determining whether to order Flares or the wider Fiberglass Fenders.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It sticks out about an inch from the fenders, but after new CV Joints and alignment, that could change. I'll post pictures when it is completed next week.
Nice! Can't wait to see the pics. So, an inch past the fender sounds like about 2.25" a side, or 4.5" overall, which is close to the 5" specified for that lift on their site (although, some of your new width may have come from wheels & tires). Quick question: How do they get the rear to come out as wide as the front to match? Was the rear axle extended?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts