Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just confirmed with AEV that yes, the Bison Flares (not the Highmark) will work with the Z71 Long Bed. The fronts work fine, but there are some alignment points missing, so one has to sorta eyeball placement. The rear extended cab Bison flares will work for the Z71 Long Bed.

It is, per AEV, a messy install with some severe cutting and drilling. It will look great when installed, just a messy process.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just confirmed with AEV that yes, the Bison Flares (not the Highmark) will work with the Z71 Long Bed. The fronts work fine, but there are some alignment points missing, so one has to sorta eyeball placement. The rear extended cab Bison flares will work for the Z71 Long Bed.

It is, per AEV, a messy install with some severe cutting and drilling. It will look great when installed, just a messy process.
Awesome! Good luck, and please post some pictures when you're all set. Going to look good!

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I really want to thank the folks on this forum for providing this useful information. I'll call AEV tomorrow and find out how much coverage, in terms of inches the Bison Flares provide. With my new longer CV Joints, I'll need about 1.5" to fully cover the tire tread per California law. Unless the wisdom pool here knows how much coverage those AEV Bison Flares provide.

·
Registered
2017 AT4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,734 Posts
Adding "longer CV joints" doesn't necessarily mean you are adding width to your track, especially when you are also lifting the truck. To add width to the track you need to change the wheel offset or extend the lower control arms.

Edit: The ZR2 has a wider track than Z71 because it has longer LCA's and a longer rear solid axle, not because of longer front CV axles...

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am installing the Baja Kits suspension kits which has longer lower control arms and longer CVs. I have been told to expect a 3" wider stance, approximately 1.5" on each side. Therefore, I need fender flares to cover the exposed tread to be legal here.

I just called AEV and neither the Bison flares nor the Highmark Flares provide any additional width or coverage, they are for appearance (Bison) or for an increased diameter (Highmark). So my options are an aftermarket wider fender or like a Bushwacker type flare.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Am not sure why they would say that as the Bison flares do provide more coverage than a standard Colorado fender and more than the ZR2 OEM flare, but agree it is an appearance addition primarily.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
"Am not sure why they would say that as the Bison flares do provide more coverage than a standard Colorado fender"

I'm not sure who the they in that sentence is. But it was my assumption that the term flare meant something that stuck out from the fender to provide some modicum of coverage. I bought the GM versions for my Z71 and they were thin, quarter inch plastic for appearance only, so I was surprised.

Presently, I am not surprised that neither the Bison nor the Highmark provide any coverage whatsoever.

BajaKits recommended Fiberglass Fenders or Bushwacker Flares.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am installing the Baja Kits suspension kits which has longer lower control arms and longer CVs. I have been told to expect a 3" wider stance, approximately 1.5" on each side. Therefore, I need fender flares to cover the exposed tread to be legal here.

I just called AEV and neither the Bison flares nor the Highmark Flares provide any additional width or coverage, they are for appearance (Bison) or for an increased diameter (Highmark). So my options are an aftermarket wider fender or like a Bushwacker type flare.
Keep in mind that the stock Z71 wheels sit well within the fender. You have to come out about 1-1.25" to be flush with the stock fenders, so if you're gaining 1.5" with LCA, that by itself has only pushed you past the fender by about .25-.5". I don't know how the law reads; that's a first for me. You also mentioned getting new tires and wheels, so you'll have to do some math on those, including the added tread width of the tire (if any, like going from 255 to 265) and the offset of your new wheels. Stock wheels are +33mm offset. So, e.g. if you go with another 8" wheel at +12 offset, you've pushed the wheel out by 21mm (.82"). Add in your wider tread width (half of the gain to either side of wheel).

·
Registered
89 Posts
BTW, where did you find the Baja Kit that widens by 1.5"? I only see a 2.5 (5" total).

·
Registered
2017 AT4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,734 Posts
It sounds like someone is feeding you bad information, because the AEV flares are wider than OEM ZR2 flares, wider than OEM standard flares, and definitely wider than no flares...

Out of all the flares out there, the widest you will be able to get before requiring custom fabrication is going to be Bushwackers...but I would recommend against those because they will likely need trimming and won't line up with/match your AEV bumper as nicely, plus they only offer the style with fake mount bolts: After market ZR2 fender flares

Of course the rear AEV flares designed for the long bed, which you need are currently sold out...I recommend ordering the AEV flares and using these as a temp solution:
Plus, if for some insane and highly unlikely reason the AEV flares don't provide enough coverage, then you can simply adhere the rubber extensions to them.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Some states have laws on the books that prohibit tire tread from going past the fender. California is one; Louisiana is another. Louisiana has a threshold of 1" California is zero tolerance. I happen to drink, and yes I drive when intoxicated. I've never been popped and honestly don't want to give a CHP any reason whatsoever to pull me over, so I diligently inspect my truck every month for brake and turn signal lights, and yes will add flares or switch out the fenders when the suspension is done later this week. I am a retired lawyer so I know.

The shop's advice is to wait and see how much the tread sticks out. The law reads tread not tire, so the tread has to go beyond the fender. We'll measure and take it from there. I agree that the AEV Flares look like they provide some coverage, so if I'm within an inch, the AEVs might do. I hate the look of the Bushwhackers with the fake bolts, way to "Bro" for me.

The width of rear end is not being extended, only Deaver Leaf Packs, which will add another leaf and about an inch or so to the overall stock height. The King Coil Overs are adjustable, so I think the plan is to add the Deavers and level the truck from that base line. I can wait for the rear end.

All good advice here. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
971 Posts
"Am not sure why they would say that as the Bison flares do provide more coverage than a standard Colorado fender"

I'm not sure who the they in that sentence is. But it was my assumption that the term flare meant something that stuck out from the fender to provide some modicum of coverage. I bought the GM versions for my Z71 and they were thin, quarter inch plastic for appearance only, so I was surprised.

Presently, I am not surprised that neither the Bison nor the Highmark provide any coverage whatsoever.

BajaKits recommended Fiberglass Fenders or Bushwacker Flares.
From your post # 26, you contacted AEV - based on context 'they' is AEV. The OEM Bison flares and especially the High Marks both stick out from the fender.

Both flares in this discussion provide a modicum of coverage (I've looked at mine many times over the past 2.5 years, and ~ 8 months for the High Mark's on my buddy's Bison running 35's).

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So in terms of coverage, can you estimate how much coverage the AEV Bison Flares give? Like a half inch, inch?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
971 Posts
So in terms of coverage, can you estimate how much coverage the AEV Bison Flares give? Like a half inch, inch?

Thanks again.
I looked it over carefully and the best I can describe the coverage is as follows:

Definitions for this conversation:
Full Coverage - means sidewall nobbies (nomenclature from the '70's) as well as full tread coverage
Partial Coverage - means tread is fully covered but sidewall nobbies protrude some
No Coverage - means tread is exposed

Facing the tire and flare from the side think of an analog clock face, partial coverage is at 9, full coverage starts on the front at about 10 and begins to diminish at 2 (but is still full) as the flare tapers in front and back.
From the top area, say 11 to 1 the coverage appears to be 1/4" to possibly as much as 1/2".
The tires I am running have somewhat large nobbies on the sidewall - those are fully covered from 10 to 2, those nobbies begin to loose (not tight fitting) coverage after 2 and by 3 you begin to loose coverage of the actual tread and can see tread on the outward section of the tire by 4 ish.

I can take and post pics if it will help, lmk.

·
Registered
2019 ZR2, Duramax, Cajun Red, Tucson, AZ
258 Posts

·
Registered
2019 ZR2, Duramax, Cajun Red, Tucson, AZ
258 Posts
But it is carbon fiber! :cool:

There are always these fenders:

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yep, FiberWerx is a good product but does not make the fenders for the rear.

·
Registered
971 Posts
From my understanding, the AEV flares do not give you any additional coverage if you put them on a ZR2. Seeing that the ZR2 is 2.5" wider up front than the Z71, adding the AEV flares should give you 2.5" added coverage, right? Am I missing something, like the ZR2 has different front fenders?

You could just get these for the front?
The ZR2, and including the Bison package of the ZR2, all have the same fenders as a standard Colorado.
The fender flares for the ZR2 isn’t much at all. The Bison flares do provide additional coverage, most of which is between 11 and 1 o’clock positions, inclusive. There is coverage further on to the 10 and 2 positions, but it diminishes as there is a taper in the actual fender.
The flares follow the contour of the fender.
Even the pricy carbon fiber fenders follow the contour and taper, but they appear to provide more coverage in the 10 to 2 range.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts