Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
My shop just finished with removing the stock bumpers and grill, and installing the AEV Bison bumpers and grill. The shop also added a SwitchPro for A Pillar Lights (still on order) and rear lights (also on order). There is a chase light on the rear rack. Finally, the shop installed a Warn winch.

I really liked the AEV because it looks stock, and really blends into the lines of the truck. The winch is nearly invisible.
View attachment 416449 View attachment 416450
View attachment 416448
Would you mind posting a couple side pictures? Did you add the Bison fender flares, or some other type of flares, and do they match-up to the Bison bumper? I know the driver rear flare would be different because of the gas fill panel (which honestly takes away from the look of those on a short bed Bison, IMO). I'm also getting ready to order a Crew Cab Long Bed; really wish they'd just make a ZR2 CC with LB option.

Lastly, do you know if it's possible to only replace the front grille with that of a Bison?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did not add the Bison Flares yet. I am getting a new suspension this week, so I don't have possession of the truck to post a picture. The AEV Highmark Flares which are Bison equivalent will fit the front of the Z71 if you have the AEV Bison bumper. The AEV Highmark Flares will not fit the Z71 rear, as the gas cutout is different. I am not sure what I will do with the rear. I am not doing wheel spacers nor a Bison differential, so the tires will not stick out from the bedside at the rear, so legally, I don't need flares in the rear.

The Bison ZR2 grill is a requirement for the AEV Bumper. I suppose you could replace just the grill, I don't know.
I did some digging and there is a different part number for the rear drivers side flare for a long bed without the gas door. Stole this from another thread:

"The front Bison fenders are the same for Crew Cab and Extended Cab. The GM Part# is for the left: 84210996

The GM Part# is for the right: 84210997

The Right Side Rear is the same for all, GM Part# 84210999

The Left Side Rear for Extended Cab is GM Part# 84212110
The Left Side Rear for Crew Cab is GM Part# 84210998"

Also, here is a picture of them on an extended bed: Bison fender flares??

·
Registered
138 Posts
Extended Cab is different than Long Bed. So, what you are saying is a Bison Extended Cab Rear Flare will fit or might fit a Z71 CCLB?
I kind of got the words mixed up. I said Extended Bed because I was referring to a picture of an Extended Cab with a Long Bed, which is the same part you need.

Edit: Never mind, I did say it correct. Extended Cabs have a long bed, which was the important point for your application.

As the above poster has now mentioned, I also realized you were talking about the Highmark flares. I don't really care for those myself; I don't like seeing all of those rivets/bolts, whatever they are. So, was mainly referring to the OEM-style Bison flares. I'm not sure if AEV makes the Highmark back left without the gas door hole.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As to whether you can fit them on your Z71 is a whole 'nother question. I believe there is a lot of cutting involved, even when they send a ZR2 to AEV for them to install them on those for the factory "conversion", there will be cutting. And you have to drill holes. I've seen some other posts of people just leaving the bumper stick out like you have now, and not worrying about the flares.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just confirmed with AEV that yes, the Bison Flares (not the Highmark) will work with the Z71 Long Bed. The fronts work fine, but there are some alignment points missing, so one has to sorta eyeball placement. The rear extended cab Bison flares will work for the Z71 Long Bed.

It is, per AEV, a messy install with some severe cutting and drilling. It will look great when installed, just a messy process.
Awesome! Good luck, and please post some pictures when you're all set. Going to look good!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am installing the Baja Kits suspension kits which has longer lower control arms and longer CVs. I have been told to expect a 3" wider stance, approximately 1.5" on each side. Therefore, I need fender flares to cover the exposed tread to be legal here.

I just called AEV and neither the Bison flares nor the Highmark Flares provide any additional width or coverage, they are for appearance (Bison) or for an increased diameter (Highmark). So my options are an aftermarket wider fender or like a Bushwacker type flare.
Keep in mind that the stock Z71 wheels sit well within the fender. You have to come out about 1-1.25" to be flush with the stock fenders, so if you're gaining 1.5" with LCA, that by itself has only pushed you past the fender by about .25-.5". I don't know how the law reads; that's a first for me. You also mentioned getting new tires and wheels, so you'll have to do some math on those, including the added tread width of the tire (if any, like going from 255 to 265) and the offset of your new wheels. Stock wheels are +33mm offset. So, e.g. if you go with another 8" wheel at +12 offset, you've pushed the wheel out by 21mm (.82"). Add in your wider tread width (half of the gain to either side of wheel).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am installing the Baja Kits suspension kits which has longer lower control arms and longer CVs. I have been told to expect a 3" wider stance, approximately 1.5" on each side. Therefore, I need fender flares to cover the exposed tread to be legal here.
BTW, where did you find the Baja Kit that widens by 1.5"? I only see a 2.5 (5" total).

·
Registered
138 Posts
From my understanding, the AEV flares do not give you any additional coverage if you put them on a ZR2. Seeing that the ZR2 is 2.5" wider up front than the Z71, adding the AEV flares should give you 2.5" added coverage, right? Am I missing something, like the ZR2 has different front fenders?

You could just get these for the front?
That 2.5" is not the body width difference, just the stance from different control arms. The bodies are the same (except of course the front bumper and fascia area, and the hood).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Correct, but the flares on the ZR2 adds width compared to the Z71. The OP wants to go 3" wider, so by all accounts, if he does nothing he is .5" pass body, which is .25" per side assuming the ZR2 tires sits flush with the fenders. Then add the ZR2 flares and he should be golden.
Gotcha. To be honest, I think he's going to end up with 5" total and not the 3" total that the shop told him, based on the Baja Kits website:

"Track Width - 2.5" wider per side (5" wider total) 1” wider per side on a ZR2 ( 2” wider total )"

Unless there's a different kit the OP got (I asked earlier and didn't get a response) than the 2.5 kit I see on the website. 2015+ Chevy Colorado 4WD +2.5 Prerunner Kit | Baja Kits

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
138 Posts
It sticks out about an inch from the fenders, but after new CV Joints and alignment, that could change. I'll post pictures when it is completed next week.
Nice! Can't wait to see the pics. So, an inch past the fender sounds like about 2.25" a side, or 4.5" overall, which is close to the 5" specified for that lift on their site (although, some of your new width may have come from wheels & tires). Quick question: How do they get the rear to come out as wide as the front to match? Was the rear axle extended?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts