Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shop just finished with removing the stock bumpers and grill, and installing the AEV Bison bumpers and grill. The shop also added a SwitchPro for A Pillar Lights (still on order) and rear lights (also on order). There is a chase light on the rear rack. Finally, the shop installed a Warn winch.

I really liked the AEV because it looks stock, and really blends into the lines of the truck. The winch is nearly invisible.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Car White Vehicle Light Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Chevy ZR2 ECLB, Blue-the best color
218 Posts
nice. i like the look of the switch pro. i don't have enough stuff to power.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
well you can argue that AEV stuff... IS STOCK. since you can get a bison with it from a dealer, I feel like that is good enough to say that. I really like how your truck came out. I wanted to do the same, with my truck when I found out about the bison, but before I knew AEV's "aftermarket" site, I had already bought a front bumper... so I bought everything else for a bison for mine except the front.. heh

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not exactly stock. When you order a Bison from a dealer, the GM plant ships a ZR2 to AEV which completes the Bison package, then ships it to your local dealer. So the Bison is more or less a licensed modification. I really, really wanted a Bison, but ... no long bed. I also wanted a Jeep Gladiator, because I know it works for the mountain in my area, because my wife's Rubicon scampers up this 45 degree hill with ease. But again, no long bed.

I would be interested in a discussion as to the merits of the ZR2 DSSV shocks vs King Coil Overs with a Reserve. I opted for King Coil Overs.

The Switch Pro will power lights front, rear, and a chase light, as well as an ARB compressor and lockers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks GREAT! I just took delivery of a Bison last Friday. I bet your shocks are very capable off road. I love the low hoop too. I want that eventually... Other things are higher on the list for now. Enjoy that truck!!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not exactly stock. When you order a Bison from a dealer, the GM plant ships a ZR2 to AEV which completes the Bison package, then ships it to your local dealer. So the Bison is more or less a licensed modification. I really, really wanted a Bison, but ... no long bed. I also wanted a Jeep Gladiator, because I know it works for the mountain in my area, because my wife's Rubicon scampers up this 45 degree hill with ease. But again, no long bed.

I would be interested in a discussion as to the merits of the ZR2 DSSV shocks vs King Coil Overs with a Reserve. I opted for King Coil Overs.

The Switch Pro will power lights front, rear, and a chase light, as well as an ARB compressor and lockers.
What I’ve extrapolated from reading over the past few years is that the DSSV’s are better on the road, Kings are much better off road when they’re valved and setup right. There is a lot to be said for not taking a beating off road. ;)

Your truck looks great! If you don’t mind, pls post a side pic or two.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Truck is looking great ! I've found that to be a great place for the Switch Pros.

Suspension theory with Filthy Motorsports.
Overview of performance shock construction
Video that persuaded me to choose Kings over Icons

How MultiMatic DSSV shocks work

Summary:

Digressive shocks are bad at small bumps and large bumps, but good at handling and g-outs. Progressive shocks are good at small bumps and big hits, but bad at handling and g-outs. Linear shocks provide the best all around performance. At AccuTune Off-Road we design the shape of the shock curve to provide the performance you want on the type of terrain you will encounter. The result is curves that are slightly digressive, linear, or slightly progressive to deliver the some of the benefits without all the drawbacks
DSSVs are some badass shocks. They basically allow you to have all the benefits of digressive and progressive shocks without the downsides. However, that kind of precision makes them un-tunable to specific uses cases. Because it doesn't have a shim stack, and has milled spool valves, you cannot customize them in anyway. I'd even guess that a main reason there isn't an extended length available is that the length is a product of the valving (or could be totally wrong and it's an agreement with GM). If you have narrowed down your use case for your truck and find that the stock shocks (DSSV or otherwise) are not meeting your needs (Max GVWR, rock crawling, pre-running, or other rather "extreme" activities) then I think a custom valved/length shock like King or Fox is a better choice.

Conjecture: DSSVs were designed around what GM projected was the 90% use case for buyers which was mostly curb weight street driving with a side of taken-too-fast-pot-holed-fire roads.

Fox has an interesting competitor to the DSSV in the Live Valve Raptor shocks, which ties into a boatload of the vehicles sensors to determine how the shock behaves through a spring which controls the flow of shock fluid into the reservoir. This increases or decreases resistance thus increasing or decreasing stiffness of the shock allowing it to electrically tune itself to the situation.

Also goes without saying but the more complicated a system is the more parts can fail. DSSVs strike a really good balance of attributes through mechanical means vs Fox's electrical version.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I mean, unlike the previous gen ZR2, the modifications are arguably all direct bolt-ons. The computer interface is the only wrinkle, such as off-road screen, off-road mode and locker BCM integration. @brobocop has actually done the ZR2 suspension conversion, with the exception of the locker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like a great build. How is the switch pro mounted? I have ordered one but am conflicted as to where to locate it. One option is where you have it mounted, the other is the Team Tech Offroad bezel located in the little storage cubby by the USB ports. Curious if you went through a similar decision process

Here is the TTO option for reference. Chevrolet Colorado Switch Pros Housing 9100 / 8100 Tab / Bezel

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are a number of choices for switch panels. A member here fabricated a three switch panel which fits perfectly in the little cubby hole, or which can be made to fit in the sunglasses holder; The SwitchPro can installed in the space between the USB Port and the 12v receptacle just forward of the shift lever; and the SwitchPro can be installed on top of the cubby hole. I gave my 4WD shop all three options, and they selected the latter, as a cell phone or other device might accidentally hit one of the switches and engage a light or worse a locker.

·
Premium Member
2021 White DCLB Z71 Duramax, S&B, Provent 200, Kicker Sub and Main Amp, Decked, stubbyJr
79 Posts
My shop just finished with removing the stock bumpers and grill, and installing the AEV Bison bumpers and grill. The shop also added a SwitchPro for A Pillar Lights (still on order) and rear lights (also on order). There is a chase light on the rear rack. Finally, the shop installed a Warn winch.

I really liked the AEV because it looks stock, and really blends into the lines of the truck. The winch is nearly invisible.
View attachment 416449 View attachment 416450
View attachment 416448
Trick looks terrific.
Are you a tradesman? Ive only seen a couple with real ladder racks. And are you planning on lifting your truck?

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a tradesman; but a home woodworker, and mill my own lumber. I also own a rural getaway rustic unibomber cabin which needs maintenance.

Lift kit was delayed by nearly nine months--first for King Coil Overs which took 6 months to arrive, then the GM extended CV Joints took another three months. I think all the parts are in, and yes, barring further complications, the truck will be lifted to accommodate the long travel King Coil Overs within a week or so. I'm not a lift guy, so the lift will be functional for the shocks only, the minimum amount of lift necessary to accommodate the shocks. Actually the stock Z71 has a modest factory lift which gets over all the boulders on the forest service roads I travel and is good enough for me. I think the GM lift is just a 2" lift block above the springs, although I'm not sure. I assume my 4WD shop will remove that lift block and with the new control arms and wheels, it will be lifted to the absolute minimum.

I do like the idea of the King long travel reservoir shocks which can be dialed in to the weight and stiffness one needs, then dialed back for street use.

Per the lift kit manufacturer, they recommend 33" tires, so at their suggestion, I will install Method One wheels and an all terrain type tire. The wheels are in.

Waiting for AEV light brackets front and real (for BajaDesigns cubes). Waiting for Fab 589 compressor bracket.

·
Registered
90 Posts

View attachment 416449 View attachment 416450
View attachment 416448
Would you mind posting a couple side pictures? Did you add the Bison fender flares, or some other type of flares, and do they match-up to the Bison bumper? I know the driver rear flare would be different because of the gas fill panel (which honestly takes away from the look of those on a short bed Bison, IMO). I'm also getting ready to order a Crew Cab Long Bed; really wish they'd just make a ZR2 CC with LB option.

Lastly, do you know if it's possible to only replace the front grille with that of a Bison?

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not add the Bison Flares yet. I am getting a new suspension this week, so I don't have possession of the truck to post a picture. The AEV Highmark Flares which are Bison equivalent will fit the front of the Z71 if you have the AEV Bison bumper. The AEV Highmark Flares will not fit the Z71 rear, as the gas cutout is different. I am not sure what I will do with the rear. I am not doing wheel spacers nor a Bison differential, so the tires will not stick out from the bedside at the rear, so legally, I don't need flares in the rear.

The Bison ZR2 grill is a requirement for the AEV Bumper. I suppose you could replace just the grill, I don't know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did not add the Bison Flares yet. I am getting a new suspension this week, so I don't have possession of the truck to post a picture. The AEV Highmark Flares which are Bison equivalent will fit the front of the Z71 if you have the AEV Bison bumper. The AEV Highmark Flares will not fit the Z71 rear, as the gas cutout is different. I am not sure what I will do with the rear. I am not doing wheel spacers nor a Bison differential, so the tires will not stick out from the bedside at the rear, so legally, I don't need flares in the rear.

The Bison ZR2 grill is a requirement for the AEV Bumper. I suppose you could replace just the grill, I don't know.
I did some digging and there is a different part number for the rear drivers side flare for a long bed without the gas door. Stole this from another thread:

"The front Bison fenders are the same for Crew Cab and Extended Cab. The GM Part# is for the left: 84210996

The GM Part# is for the right: 84210997

The Right Side Rear is the same for all, GM Part# 84210999

The Left Side Rear for Extended Cab is GM Part# 84212110
The Left Side Rear for Crew Cab is GM Part# 84210998"

Also, here is a picture of them on an extended bed: Bison fender flares??

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Extended Cab is different than Long Bed. So, what you are saying is a Bison Extended Cab Rear Flare will fit or might fit a Z71 CCLB?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Reminder, there is a difference between Bison flares (which come as OEM on the Bison) and High Mark flares (which are aftermarket from AEV for 35" tires). Both flare types are sold on AEV's website and through resellers.
The OEM Bison flares should work on the LB as the extended cab Bison is a LB, the High Marks will not work on the LB.

High Mark: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/aev-highmark-fender-flares-colorado-zr2-bison/

Bison flares: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/colorado-fender-flares/

·
Registered
2017 AT4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,735 Posts
Extended Cab is different than Long Bed. So, what you are saying is a Bison Extended Cab Rear Flare will fit or might fit a Z71 CCLB?
No, the Extended Cab IS a Long Bed. It has an identical long bed to your truck.

There are 3 configurations of these trucks:
ECLB - Extended Cab Long Bed
CCSB - Crew Cab Short Bed
CCLB - Crew Cab Long Bed

The ZR2, Bison package, and flares are offered on the Colorado ECLB and CCSB...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I kind of got the words mixed up. I said Extended Bed because I was referring to a picture of an Extended Cab with a Long Bed, which is the same part you need.

Edit: Never mind, I did say it correct. Extended Cabs have a long bed, which was the important point for your application.

As the above poster has now mentioned, I also realized you were talking about the Highmark flares. I don't really care for those myself; I don't like seeing all of those rivets/bolts, whatever they are. So, was mainly referring to the OEM-style Bison flares. I'm not sure if AEV makes the Highmark back left without the gas door hole.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As to whether you can fit them on your Z71 is a whole 'nother question. I believe there is a lot of cutting involved, even when they send a ZR2 to AEV for them to install them on those for the factory "conversion", there will be cutting. And you have to drill holes. I've seen some other posts of people just leaving the bumper stick out like you have now, and not worrying about the flares.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts