Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my most recent trip out to some trails, I feel the biggest issue I had in comparison to other vehicles was the longer wheelbase. Specifically, I was offroading with a 4runner, Wrangler, and a Liberty (yes a Jeep Libert but I have to say it's probably the most impressively built Liberty I've ever seen in person). The trails had regular off-road "speed bumps" if you will that were quick climbs with an immediate decline. I'd barely scrape my transfer case skid or at times just a light touch on the frame. Nothing bad enough to leave damage, but annoying to have to slowly try to cross them at an angle like I'm driving a streetcar in a parking lot.

Do any of you have advice on what mods to prioritize to make my z71 more capable for wheeling OHV trails? I've been looking at the peak suspension 3" lift with replacement UCA's and the add a leaf in the rear. Is it worth swapping out the bumper on a Z71?

·
Registered
16 Posts
After my most recent trip out to some trails, I feel the biggest issue I had in comparison to other vehicles was the longer wheelbase. Specifically, I was offroading with a 4runner, Wrangler, and a Liberty (yes a Jeep Libert but I have to say it's probably the most impressively built Liberty I've ever seen in person). The trails had regular off-road "speed bumps" if you will that were quick climbs with an immediate decline. I'd barely scrape my transfer case skid or at times just a light touch on the frame. Nothing bad enough to leave damage, but annoying to have to slowly try to cross them at an angle like I'm driving a streetcar in a parking lot.

Do any of you have advice on what mods to prioritize to make my z71 more capable for wheeling OHV trails? I've been looking at the peak suspension 3" lift with replacement UCA's and the add a leaf in the rear. Is it worth swapping out the bumper on a Z71?
Lots to address here.
1. The Colorado turning radius is better than my JK was on 37s, so do nothing to lessen that.
2. Any suspension lift gains clearance. For off-roading our best bet is either a 5 or 6 coupled with coil overs and a arms for suspension travel or just the coils/arms. I think we get like 5” of travel stock, which is awful. You can do either one first and upgrade later. I’m planning on starting at the 3” level (peak) and then moving up so I have better wheel travel. Keep in mind wheels may be required.
3. The transmission pan isn’t too tough, a skid is highly recommended in this location. Avoid AEV.
4. You have basically two bumper choices. The first is about $800 and just replaced the front center section and allows a winch, but doesn’t offer much else. The second more ideal choice is something like an ADD front bumper. This puts the tires as your most likely point of first contact as opposed to the stock bumper, and offers a winch or no winch. These bumpers approach 2k and require body work. They also open up tire size a bit by opening the wheel well up. Won’t help with clearance w/o tires.

So depending on cash, I’d say go this way.

Lift/tires (focusing on something that actually improves travel.)
Skid
Full front Bumper. (This ones tough, cause you could do this plus tires, then lift last).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots to address here.
1. The Colorado turning radius is better than my JK was on 37s, so do nothing to lessen that.
2. Any suspension lift gains clearance. For off-roading our best bet is either a 5 or 6 coupled with coil overs and a arms for suspension travel or just the coils/arms. I think we get like 5” of travel stock, which is awful. You can do either one first and upgrade later. I’m planning on starting at the 3” level (peak) and then moving up so I have better wheel travel. Keep in mind wheels may be required.
3. The transmission pan isn’t too tough, a skid is highly recommended in this location. Avoid AEV.
4. You have basically two bumper choices. The first is about $800 and just replaced the front center section and allows a winch, but doesn’t offer much else. The second more ideal choice is something like an ADD front bumper. This puts the tires as your most likely point of first contact as opposed to the stock bumper, and offers a winch or no winch. These bumpers approach 2k and require body work. They also open up tire size a bit by opening the wheel well up. Won’t help with clearance w/o tires.

So depending on cash, I’d say go this way.

Lift/tires (focusing on something that actually improves travel.)
Skid
Full front Bumper. (This ones tough, cause you could do this plus tires, then lift last).

I have a 2" level block in right now and running 265/70/17 Falken AT3W's. Your advice actually lines up heavily with what I had in mind - This 3" Lift Kit followed by a full set of skids. I had planned on going with SuperSkidz but it looks like they've gone MIA. I was recently looking at the full set of CBI Skid plates. For a front bumper replacement, I've had my eye on this one of Relentless Fabrication

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
139 Posts
My understanding is that the rear bumper is the main issue for the long bed. Getting something that is more tucked up is a good idea. Maybe even a take off ZR2 rear bumper

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2" level block in right now and running 265/70/17 Falken AT3W's. Your advice actually lines up heavily with what I had in mind - This 3" Lift Kit followed by a full set of skids. I had planned on going with SuperSkidz but it looks like they've gone MIA. I was recently looking at the full set of CBI Skid plates. For a front bumper replacement, I've had my eye on this one of Relentless Fabrication
I’d say that’s a pretty good plan. I’m looking really similar, except I’m considering icons kit along side peak. Decisions decisions!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding is that the rear bumper is the main issue for the long bed. Getting something that is more tucked up is a good idea. Maybe even a take off ZR2 rear bumper
I have the short bed not the long bed

·
Registered
491 Posts
Obviously the bigger lift and bigger tires will help, but if you are scraping on a "whoop" (the term for the "speed bump" thingy, usually in repetitive succession), you either have a very low truck or those are some gnarly whoops. Bumpers are not cheap or light, so I would only look at them if you are trying to accomplish something. I wanted a winch and more lights, so I got my front. Then I wanted to get the low hanging spare out from under the truck, so I got a rear with swingout. The added protection was just a bonus. The CBI skids will be nice and the ZR2 sliders you have are more than enough for a not-rock crawler.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obviously the bigger lift and bigger tires will help, but if you are scraping on a "whoop" (the term for the "speed bump" thingy, usually in repetitive succession), you either have a very low truck or those are some gnarly whoops. Bumpers are not cheap or light, so I would only look at them if you are trying to accomplish something. I wanted a winch and more lights, so I got my front. Then I wanted to get the low hanging spare out from under the truck, so I got a rear with swingout. The added protection was just a bonus. The CBI skids will be nice and the ZR2 sliders you have are more than enough for a not-rock crawler.
The whoops at uwharrie are actually pretty gnarly in some spots. Most of them I can take at an angle without any contact. Theyre all pretty tall but not deep at all, so my front tires are coming down the back side before my rear tires have really started climbing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

As far as height goes I've got a z71 with stock suspension. Front 2" leveling kit and 265/70/17 tires. Here's a quick video of what I'm talking about. Not the worst ones out there as this was on an easier trail bit shows what I'm talking about. The second whoop you can hear my transfer case belly pan just barely touch.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ah, those kinda things. Our trucks' wheelbase is nearly identical to Tacoma, so if you have an issue, they probably do too. Just need more height.

166 Posts
We're not doing a 4th of July sale this year but...if you've been on the fence thinking about a bumper, we're offering 10% if you'll call and get an order in by Friday the 3rd.

Give us a call at 775-200-0544 between 9am-5pm Pacific (M-F) and we'll get something set up!

Relentless Fabrication
www.relentlessfabrication.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We're not doing a 4th of July sale this year but...if you've been on the fence thinking about a bumper, we're offering 10% if you'll call and get an order in by Friday the 3rd.

Give us a call at 775-200-0544 between 9am-5pm Pacific (M-F) and we'll get something set up!

Relentless Fabrication
www.relentlessfabrication.com
I absolutely wish I could but I need to do a lift first. That said I love your products and I love how active you guys are on this forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts