Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Can you put that tailgate liner over the tailgate if it comes with a factory spray in liner that covers the tailgate as well?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I did there. I also ran a rubber bed mat, to keep stuff from sliding around.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
The 2020 i bought came with a drop in liner. Im Thinking about removing it and getting the bed mat(the dee zee one) and tonneau cover combination instead.
Got ya a deal if you have a shortbed, plus console and glove box organizer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
One of the problems with the drop in liners is that they move around some when the truck is driven. I've seen several beds that liners were removed from and they all had rust issues in areas where the paint had been worn off by the liner movement. Also most liners I've seen let cargo slide all over the bed unless tied down.
My 2001 2500 HD was Linexed about a year after I bought it and when I saw it yesterday the Linex was still in perfect condition. I also had a Protecta mat in the bed. I ordered my 2020 SLT with the spray in liner and added a Dee Zee mat. (I believe Dee Zee bought out Protecta because the mats looked exactly the same).

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
I had a liner in my 1995 C1500 Stepside. Hated it. Things slid around too easily, and on a truck with a 49" wide bed and no wheel wells to intrude, the bedliner took away 2" of width, so a 48" sheet of plywood would not lay flat.

The place I purchased bedliner from sold me on a bed protector, essentially a thin, foam liner, that would supposedly stop the bed liner from rubbing the paint off the bed. I have no idea it it worked, since I never removed the bedliner. At the end of the day, the costs were not much less than a spray in bedliner. Granted, in 1995, spray in bedliners were somewhat new on the market. Rhino was about all there was. I considered a spray in bedliner a bit later in the life of the truck, but ended up needing to get more seats than my regular cab had, so I got a Tahoe in 2001.

I like the bedrugs but just feel like they would hold to much dirt, etc. I know a lot of guys swear buy them. If I was not going to go the spray bedliner route, I would probably look at a bedmat. And I can see the attraction to a spray bedliner and a bedrug, but I rarely crawl around in my bed. Load and go.

Actually, I took a large political vinyl sigh, 48"x48" and cut it to fit the wheel wells. It lets me toss stuff in the bed, slide it toward the cab easy if I want to, or with the thickness of the vinyl, I can set stuff at the tailgate on the spray liner and typically make it home from the store without it sliding to the cab. I have a tonneau cover, and I hate having to roll it up to gather stuff that has slid to the cab. (Without the cover, the vinyl would go airborne, and I have had to insure when I had a load that would not fit under the tonneau that I secured the vinyl.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Advantage of the plastic liner is they cost less and they give impact protection in a work truck. Disadvantage is they are slippery (could be an advantage for sliding heavy stuff out of the bed) and they rub the paint over the long haul, which can cause rust.

Have had both spray in and plastic liners, I prefer the spray in. It looks cooler, has the right amount of grip for my taste. A spray in with a bed rug for floor protection against impacts might be a good way to go for those who drop heavy stuff into their beds a lot. For me the spray in Line-X works fantastically well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
well i know ive had a spray in liner on my 2004 f250....so 16 years old,....still looks pretty damn good....and its been put to work. I will say, (didnt really see it on here) is the bed rug.....Im pretty sure thats what im gonna put in this truck. Im not gonna be using the bed as much, since i have the other truck. I like the idea of soft on the knees, and also good for the dogs...I also think it just looks clean....

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
well i know ive had a spray in liner on my 2004 f250....so 16 years old,....still looks pretty damn good....and its been put to work. I will say, (didnt really see it on here) is the bed rug.....Im pretty sure thats what im gonna put in this truck. Im not gonna be using the bed as much, since i have the other truck. I like the idea of soft on the knees, and also good for the dogs...I also think it just looks clean....
I like the looks of the bedrug and the ease on the knees, and I have to admit, I saw one on an older truck left out in the weather and poorly cared for, and it still looked better than most drop in liners.

I carried a load of bags of wet, dyed mulch in my truck right after I bought it. It seemed to have left a stain that did not wash out with a hose, however, a few good rainstorms before I put my tonneau on the bed and it was none the worse. I would think something like that would stain a bedrug badly.

My wife is more likely to toss my rear in the bed before my dogs would ever ride back there. The only time a live dog of ours has ever ridden in the bed was after a day at the beach, and I rode back there with the dog the 2 miles home.

I still remember the the first load in my 1995 C1500. Our cocker died one night after a long illness, and the next morning her 9 year old pup died from heartbreak. First thing I put in that bed., 3 days after I took possession, was their two bodies to take to be cremated. That is the only two times one of our dogs has ridden in the bed of our truck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't use a plastic liner. A couple years from now you'll have scratches and rust from the grit that gets underneath. Quality spray-in or mat is the way to go. And...how many plastic liners have you passed by laying in a ditch on the side of the road? ?

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
For 30 years I always had liners in my trucks.....until my 2016, whicxh had the factory spray in job done. I wont ever go back to the plastic liner. And like RatRacer and a few others, I also have the bed mat over it and things stay where you put them back there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought a mat and its great, definitely keeps your gear and place and the dog... I have scratched my bed plenty on the sides and wheel wells though and plan to do a spray it at some point but in no rush. The scratches wont be visible after I figure... maybe after another 6 months of payments and when I get time for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
300 Posts
I bought a mat and its great, definitely keeps your gear and place and the dog... I have scratched my bed plenty on the sides and wheel wells though and plan to do a spray it at some point but in no rush. The scratches wont be visible after I figure... maybe after another 6 months of payments and when I get time for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Which mat did you buy? Link?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’ve had Line X and a mat for over 4 years now. Was hauling some 12-18” diameter rocks the other day, probably 600lbs at a whack as I pulled them off a pile. No worse for the wear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just traded in my 2016 Colorado on a 2020. I use my bed a lot and on my new truck I want to go back to an under the rail bed liner. There don't seem to be a lot of choices. Some reviews of the GM liner weren't very favorable. What other kind of bed liners are you guys using and what are your opinions?
I can recommend spraying Linex instead of a liner (No rust). Also I have the OEM bed mat which prevents anything from sliding around.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts