Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was a huge topic 5 years ago when the Colorado/Canyon came out about not having a CD player. Most owners with the still installed OEM systems have either "ripped" their music to a USB drive, or used Apple or Android CarPlay. I installed a cheap radio into my wife's Sebring a few months back, but like most stereos nowadays it did not come with a CD player. So after hearing grumbles about having to rip music to a USB or SD card for several months, I decided to try this add on CD/DVD player for Android systems. I purchased it for her car, but I thought I would try it on my Canyon to see what would happen. Well it worked! I had to wait for it to recognize the media, but once it did, I was able to select the different tracks on the burned CD and play the music on the CD. There was no title or song info, and the DVD portion did not work on my OEM system, but it did play CD's. Here is the link to the item I bought...USB 2.0 Interface Car Radio CD/ DVD Dish Box Player External Stereo For Android | eBay

The item is a little big and the volume is really low, but if you just got to have a CD player and you do not want to replace the OEM radio, this little unit should work. FYI, my Canyon is a 2015, non Bose system with the navigation upgrade, which makes my HMI really a 2016 and I used the front USB port in the console underneath the switch panel. :cool:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Interesting. I always considered CDs a lousy option for cars unless the car had a CD changer. Too difficult to handle when driving--even opening the case could require two hands. I always just recorded them to 90 minute cassette tapes and then could have two CDs on each tape, and it wouldn't matter if I lost or damaged the tape.

The volume issue is interesting. Are you sure the device doesn't have a way of adjusting volume?

Did you ever try anything like this? It's a bit more mainstream and less than half the cost.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Interesting. I always considered CDs a lousy option for cars unless the car had a CD changer. Too difficult to handle when driving--even opening the case could require two hands. I always just recorded them to 90 minute cassette tapes and then could have two CDs on each tape, and it wouldn't matter if I lost or damaged the tape.
What?! How long have you been driving? Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The volume issue is interesting. Are you sure the device doesn't have a way of adjusting volume?

Did you ever try anything like this? It's a bit more mainstream and less than half the cost.

As an IT guy, I have several different brands of those type of external CD/DVD drives laying around, and none of those would work, but the one I linked to does. There is no external volume control on the unit I have a link to. Most people would prefer to have the USB or play music from the phone option, but for some of us old timers know how to change discs while driving (it was a skill we had to learn back then...LOL) , I only offered this option in case someone just had to have a CD player for thier truck, this could be an solution. :)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Most people would prefer to have the USB or play music from the phone option, but for some of us old timers know how to change discs while driving (it was a skill we had to learn back then...LOL) ,
I have nothing against CDs as a music format, and in fact typically buy from Amazon where I can get things in both CD and mp3 format. I just never liked CDs for cars, absent a changer (which the wife had in one of her vehicles). Sort of like those various backup media that came after tape and before CD/DVDs. I don't even remember the brands/types, but I never bought into them either.

Just because people do things in cars doesn't mean it's a good idea. Applying makeup is a good example. I once even saw someone brushing their teeth while driving.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I ended up with my brother's collection of 8 tracks, over 200 in all, and a nice home 8 track player/recorder. A design which was basically a time bomb since it pulled the tape from the middle of the spool--amazing they worked at all.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I saw a CD player at the Smithonian last time I was there. They stated it was very popular in the 80’s....

Just kidding. To be honest I was upset to see it go too but like most technologies you move in and find a better way.

I have many CD’s but the are in the closet. I have them all on my lap top and phone so I never leave the house with less tha 12,000 songs on shuffle. I think it said it was 36 days to play every song.

I have everything protected and backed up. I took my old phone and loaded it up and leave it on the stereo in the garage. Same there shuffle and just let it play most of the time.

I hated taking CD’s with me for fear they would be damaged.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Can we get an answer for what's really important,
How is the sound quality?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
This one was my first

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,611 Posts
Is the big disk thing with grooves in it I found in my mother's house a CD?
Well you have a few.
There is a LP a.k.a. vinyl (Music) (spins at 33 1/3 rotations per minute)

A 78 record (Music)(spins an 78 rotations per minute)

45 record (Music) (You guessed it 45 rpms)

Then there was the digital age:
LaserDisc (Movies)

DVD's (movies)

CD (Music, Computer Data)

And for the Technolical Question of what is the difference between a DVD and a CD?

Here is a link:
Difference Between CD and DVD (with Comparison Chart) - Tech Differences

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
If Chinese seller says it’s okay it must be okay!

Also omg the reviews for that...The sockets started melting.
Perhaps that's why the ad says:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock. :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
Well you have a few.
There is a LP a.k.a. vinyl (Music) (spins at 33 1/3 rotations per minute)
View attachment 394741
A 78 record (Music)(spins an 78 rotations per minute)
View attachment 394742
Only a true old guy will get this.. came home to my parents who were with relatives from the old country (Hungary)
All proud they were listening to traditional Hungarian music all afternoon.
Music sounds strange, so I check out the turn table, it was set at 78.. I changed it to 33..
Now Mickey Mouse sounded a lot better.
Never laughed so hard.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Anyone remember the 8 track change overs in the middle of songs on the Eagle's Greatest Hits?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts