Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.9 2009 canyon. Ac cools great at idle but at road speed it doesnt cool well at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Could be low on charge and when you're RPM is up and the low pressure switch is cutting out protecting the compressor from starvation.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Pressure does drop when rpms are raised. But was still in the green range.
What are the pressures?
Could be the high side is too high kicking it off.
Over charged or dirty condenser could do this.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the pressures?
Could be the high side is too high kicking it off.
Over charged or dirty condenser could do this.
High side pressure dont know but the cheap gauge I do have shows the low side in the green. I did clean the condenser and that's what started all this. Should have left alone! Bt what's done is done might just take it to the shop next door and let them.deal with it. I'm tired of dealing with this truck only had it 5 months and put more money in it than I've paid on it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
High side pressure dont know but the cheap gauge I do have shows the low side in the green. I did clean the condenser and that's what started all this. Should have left alone! Bt what's done is done might just take it to the shop next door and let them.deal with it. I'm tired of dealing with this truck only had it 5 months and put more money in it than I've paid on it.
once you figure it out please come back and let us know what the issue was.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Yeah, it's impossible to diagnose without gauges. Did you add freon? If so maybe too much. Did it kind of do the opposite before? Cold at highway speed and not at idle? If so chances are the compressor is weak so maybe you added to much. Really have to know the high and low pressures to diagnose it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just took it to the shop and they said it was overfilled. They set it right for only $60. Now I think my pressure switch is bad. When I stop it gets steamy hot then goes away. Gonna try the switch next. Wish I never bought this truck and I am a GM person!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I just took it to the shop and they said it was overfilled. They set it right for only $60. Now I think my pressure switch is bad. When I stop it gets steamy hot then goes away. Gonna try the switch next. Wish I never bought this truck and I am a GM person!

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is what I thought. Just have the shop evac, purge snd recharge to proper levels. Pressure swings is not a costly part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope less than 30 if they have them in stock. I've already run into discontinued parts for it!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Did they say why it's hot when at idle???
Ask them, that's what you pay them for.
I really think the compressor is probably weak, that's what they do, it works well as higher rpm but doesn't work at idle very well.
A pressure switch 99% of the time won't do that at idle. It would be VERY odd.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They said it was too much freon in the system wasn't bt $60 to extract the system and refill. Didnt have too much time to talk. The shop is next door to work and I just walked off and got my truck lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts