Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already tried search, found something about the HVAC resistor replacement, but I'm not sure if that's the correct thing. Anyway, here's the problem.

This has happened to me a few times now, and its always fixed itself, so I never thought anything of it. But it happened on the interstate and the only thing I could do is roll down the window to get some fresh air in. I'll have the air or the heat on, and its working fine. Then, for some reason, it stops working at all. It sounds like the fan motor is still going (noise from under the dash near passenger's feet) but there's nothing coming out of the vents. I'll switch it to every possible setting (feet, head, both, windshield, etc) and it still nothing comes out. Even when I turn it off and press the button for open vents (you know what I'm talking about?) no air is coming into the truck. When I turn it on level 4, I can hear something going... sounds like the fan motor.

I tried shutting off the truck and letting it sit for awhile, but it didn't solve the problem. About an hour later, all the sudden, I feel air, and put my hand near the vents and its working just fine.

This problem doesn't happen often, but it does happen on different occasions and under different driving conditions.

Sorry if this is a repost and sorry for the length, but does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Try this: The next time it goes out, either grab a bottle or something and hit the fan blower housing under the passenger side of the dash, or turn the cruise on and kick it.

Always works to turn mine back on. I've replaced the resistor and that didn't solve the problem, so I assume there's something stuck in the blower assembly, but its too freaking cold out to take it apart at the moment. One of these days it'll warm up.......

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naskie18 said:
Try this: The next time it goes out, either grab a bottle or something and hit the fan blower housing under the passenger side of the dash, or turn the cruise on and kick it.
hahaha! aight. will do. that's how I usually solve everything else.

Anyone else had this problem besides naskie?

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
grandmastrblastr said:
naskie18 said:
hahaha! aight. will do. that's how I usually solve everything else.

Anyone else had this problem besides naskie?
I'd heard of people having problems with things getting stuck in there, which is why I assume that I've got crap stuck in there....and I developed the method of hitting it because I noticed that large bumps would turn it off/on. Figured me hitting it is better than me steering for the largest potholes I can see :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
This past summer mine would do the same thing and it seemed to happen when it was the hottest. Hitting things worked for a little bit and once it cooled down I haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
grandmastrblastr,
Funny you should mention this, we met at the Creekside GT Marksmanship shoot last week. I have the same problem with mine, I always assumed that there was a loose connection somewhere. My 1-3 fan speeds stop working, every now and then it kicks on...but 4 always works. It started as an occasional problem but has progressed to the point to where now it's not working 80-90% of the time. Let me know if you find a solution, I'm still trying to fix mine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is an issue with the switch. Had mine replaced this past fall by the dealer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
glaser06 said:
holderp

Posted:
Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:58 am Post subject:
There is an issue with the switch. Had mine replaced this past fall by the dealer.
Any idea how much it cost? Or was the a warranty-covered expense?
Mr. Goodwrench picked up the tab. I also had the blower moter replaced at the same time for the squeek.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Mine does this.
On speeds 1 - 3 it'll work most of the time, but sometimes it stops.
When it stops I can switch to speed 4 and it'll run, or I can reach under the dash and tap on the fan housing and it'll start running again in speed 1 - 3.

I haven't pulled my fan yet or even looked at it, but others here have posted that the connector that plugs into the fan gets overheated and the contacts get burned. I'm sure that's the problem.

Maybe someone here can chime in, but isn't the resistor part of the connector?

I plan to mount a resistor somewhere else, nearby, and wire to it so that the heat generated by the resistor doesn't cause damage to the connector.

At least that's what it looked like to me from pics I've seen here....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen those threads, but the difference is that my fan won't work on setting 4, along with settings 1-3. Then when I turn it to 0 and press the button to open the vents and let outside air come in while I'm driving, no air is coming through. I may take naskie's approach and try to see if there's something trapped in the housing, which is blocking air flow. I strangest part though, is that I will be driving along with the air still going and it will randomly start flowing normally again. I don't even do anything.

**edit**
Does anyone have any/ are there any TSB's out for any of these problems?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts