Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Nerd Outdoors' 2018 ZR2 Build Thread (Pictures because you love them)

Hello,

So I finally started modifying my 2018 ZR2 so I figured it was time to start a build thread as well with what I have done and what I have planned. But before we start, let's go with some obligatory pre-build pictures.

Just a head's up. I am not a car guy who know's all of the parts of a truck or vehicle so there may be some descriptions where I say "Just hook it to the dingy-ma-bob or the do-hicky.
Current Build:
Blacked Out Bow Ties with Plasti-Dip
Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover from dealer, but replacing that with a retractable one for more bed space and so it doesn't get in the way of accessories I will be adding.
Shock Skid Plates from 589 Fabrication

Future:
Rough Country 1" Leveling Kit
More items as I figure out what I want to do, so many possibilities.

First day Home (August 31)

Basking in the light.

First Dusting (and my daughter who loves it the truck. She is excited for it to be hers in 7 years when she can start driving).

Bottom of a Mountain

Top of the same mountain, about 4,000 ft climb.

Obligatory Selfie and first snow.

Fun in the Mud

Maneuvering around a Jeep with a busted Tie Rod. I made it up that same spot in about 2 minutes, a Taco took 45 minutes to get up it before. I almost left but glad I stayed

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Installing Shock Skid Plates

The installation of the shock skid plates from 589 Fabrication was pretty straight forward. I had my father-in-law's help as he has a lot more tools that I did in case we needed anything extra. The whole installation took an hour or less with two people.

I had torn up the plastic dust cover prior to the installation, this is what prompted me to purchase them, so thank you 589 Fabrication for coming up with them. He includes the nuts and bolts and they are Grade 8 so they exceed automotive standards.

I will let you know how they stand up, I am going out this weekend again for some fun.

Before Driver's Side

Before Passenger's Side

Step 1: Take the nut off of the bolt holding up the shocks but don't remove the bolt yet.
Step 2: As you remove the bolt put a screwdriver in place to hold the shock in position. This makes it easier to put on as you don't have to push the shock up while putting the skid plate in position.
Step 3: Put the skid plate on, it was a tight fit. I think there is a left and right side but I am not sure. It seems a little off but will still give me the proper protection that they cry for. I had to use a hammer for this part as it is a tight fight, which is good in my opinion.
Step 4: Put the nut and bolt back on, but not fully tightened so you can still move the skid plate around.
Step 5: Repeat 1-3 for the other side.
Step 6: This is where we lifted the truck so we could make sure we got a proper angle on the drill.
Step 7 Push the skid plate flush to the frame

Step 8: Drill away, you will need a 1/2" drill bit. Took about 60 seconds with a new bit.
Step 9: Insert bolt and nut, tighten with an impact wrench
Step 10: Tighten the original shock bolt and nuts.
Step 11: Lower Jack stand
Step 12: Go have some fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blacked Out

So, basically the steps to black out with Plasti-Dip.

1. Tape off the main truck, I found it easier to keep the Chrome un-taped as it peels off. (Sorry no pictures of me taping it off.)
2. Spray a light-medium coat of Plasti-Dip
3. Wait fifteen minutes
4. Repeat steps 2-3 3-5 times
5. Get a razor blade and carefully cut the Plasti-Dip between the Chrome and what was once Gold Emblem.
6. Peel Plasti-Dip Off of Chrome
7. Admire your work while drinking your drink of choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
FYI i am a “car guy” and i still use “doo-hickey”, “thinga-majig”, etc :wink2:
Those are just technical terms.

I need those skids and lift lol. Eventually...I really want a RTT for the bed.

Also love the green, you chose the right color :) I love mine. Green is best.
Green really works well on the ZR2. It looks good on the "regular" Colorados, but it pops on the ZR2.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very nice truck! I checked out the 589 fabrication website to see how much those protectors were and they have some other cool goodies available. Just when I thought I was done spending money on my ZR2. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.