Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I've been watching them for about two weeks now. I've got a 2008 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4x4, just got it on the 28th of January. I've got the 6 disc in dash changer, which is alright, except that I mostly use my iPod for music, which I can't do currently. The XM is a nice substitute for now though. Anyway, I digress.

The audio system in the truck is lacking, to say the least. I've seen most all of the crew cab subwoofer options on this forum. I have an Infinity Basslink that I pulled from my Legacy GT before I traded it in, but as I've seen on the forums here, it won't fit anywhere good in my truck. What I'm wondering is, are the under-seat sub boxes any good, and how cheap can they be had? The local car audio shop here does custom boxes starting from $150USD and it only goes up from there. That was without them taking any measurements or anything on the vehicle. I was hoping not to spend that much on a box. And also, does having an aftermarket audio system (probably just speakers and subwoofer, not a HU) professionally (or otherwise, as well) installed affect the warranty on the vehicle?

Thanks for your help, and this post was a bit hurried as I'm on my way out the door to get some hitch accessories, so I might come up with more clear questions later this evening.

EDIT

I'm a bit of a gamer nerd. As such, I've been known to transport my computer in its entirety to and from LAN parties. Would having subwoofers mounted underneath the rear seats pose any threat to my computer or monitor (or any other computer peripheral you can think of), being as subwoofers are massive magnets. Would folding the seat down to add that much more of a spacer help to eliminate the magnetic field, if it is, in fact, a problem?

·
Registered
183 Posts
my single 10" box from crewcab sound should be here tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
well from what I've heard of MTX (a buddy had some 12's and I've listened to a few in stores) they sound too muddy for me. there isn't much musical definition, just boom. buddys box was sold to him with the subs in there, the box was from the factory. that could have been the problem, who knows. just what I've heard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey, i've got a 04 crew cab and probably ur not goin to be able to fit most subs underneath the rear seat, i think every other box only holds a 8" sub or something, what i did was get a thin truck box and put it between the front and rear seat on one side, then place the amp underneath the seats. u lose one seats leg room but thats the best i could think of.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice 04Canyonmj. I've already seen on here plenty of under-seat subwoofer configurations that work. Unless it's all some sort of big elaborate hoax. Haha. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out whether or not having an audio system installed will negatively impact the warranty on the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have the MTX crew cab box with 10" sub. It works fine (sounds excellent) and the fit is also excellent. A stereo system can only be judged if it is setup correctly. I had a pro level installation, if I did it myself it would probably sound like turd.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Canyon08Z71 said:
I have the MTX crew cab box with 10" sub. It works fine (sounds excellent) and the fit is also excellent. A stereo system can only be judged if it is setup correctly. I had a pro level installation, if I did it myself it would probably sound like turd.
Did you go with the powered MTX box or did you buy a separate amp?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
skitz said:
Canyon08Z71 said:
Did you go with the powered MTX box or did you buy a separate amp?
MTX box, MTX subwoofer, integrated AMP. Made for a clean install because I used another AMP for the door speakers. I also did not want to hassle with sizing another woofer for the box (I am not an audio guru).

Space is at a premium depending on all the components you will be installing. I had these additional components to fit: Capacitor, Amp, and Digital Signal Processor...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Canyon08Z71 said:
MTX box, MTX subwoofer, integrated AMP. Made for a clean install because I used another AMP for the door speakers. I also did not want to hassle with sizing another woofer for the box (I am not an audio guru).

Space is at a premium depending on all the components you will be installing. I had these additional components to fit: Capacitor, Amp, and Digital Signal Processor...
I'm probably only looking at (initially) a subwoofer and amp. i might go with the all-in-one MTX deal. It's a good bit cheaper than the JL Stealthbox, am I right? The boxes that fill up the entire under-bench-seat area are nice, and probably sound awesome, but that seems like a lot of work. What speakers did you go with in the doors, or are you just powering your stock speakers with an amp instead of the HU.

·
Registered
22 Posts
havent heard the 10" but i have the 12" pioneer slim in my canyon powered with a 350 watt amp. sounds really good, deep bass especially since its about 1/2 the depth as most other subs, i definitely recommend getting probably the 12" if u have room, the 12" slim is comparable to a full sized 10", thats why i went with the 12 in stead of the 10

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do they have an under-seat box like the supercrew box, that down-fires instead of up-fires? I'd be more comfortable with something like that, as it seems that would be the safest way to not tear up the sub.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i think pioneer sells an underseat box for the 10" slim sub as far as i know, but i think its just a universal box, not a custom fit box, so i'm not sure if it will fit underneath the rear seat of the colorado/canyons. and it fires up but has a grille on top to protect the sub from hitting the bottom of the seat. the product # is UD-SW10U if u want to check it out on the pioneer website. hope that helps u out a bit

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
04Canyonmj said:
havent heard the 10" but i have the 12" pioneer slim in my canyon powered with a 350 watt amp. sounds really good, deep bass especially since its about 1/2 the depth as most other subs, i definitely recommend getting probably the 12" if u have room, the 12" slim is comparable to a full sized 10", thats why i went with the 12 in stead of the 10
How do you have yours mounted? I'm considering either 2 10" pioneer slims or 1 12" slim.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts