Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience excessive AC compressor noise in the cabin? I have my auto fan set to 2 and I can hear compressor gurgling over the fan noise. With AC off I only hear the fan.

I have verified that the HVAC filter cover behind glove box is securely attached.

Is this normal or is there something I can investigate further?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
106 Posts
No, but then again, I usually have the Bose cranked up. If it is making any strange noises I most likely would not hear them. I will suffer through some silence and try it and see. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't think I can hear the AC compressor but with the AC set on auto and the temp set to Lo, that fan is crazy loud. That's okay though - shows the AC system is nice and strong.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There have been a few reports of gurgling noises that indicated an issue with, um-something. Can't recall a heat exchanger? Condenser of some sort? Something behind the dash--I'm sure some one remembers what it's called but I'm drawing a blank...

·
Registered
157 Posts
The compressor in my Colorado is a bit loud, but it makes more of a mechanical sound. A/C will freeze your coconuts off the tree, so I don't care! The "gurguling noise" is usually on start-up as the coolant begins to rush through the heater core.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Heater core, that's it! There have been a couple of bad heater core reports that mentioned gurgling noises--might be worth having the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The compressor in my Colorado is a bit loud, but it makes more of a mechanical sound. A/C will freeze your coconuts off the tree, so I don't care! The "gurguling noise" is usually on start-up as the coolant begins to rush through the heater core.
Yep, this is what mine does, only lasts a few minutes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There's also an issue where having low coolant in the reservoir tank can allow air to get trapped in the heater core. This happened to my truck. Adding coolant and running the engine with the front end of the truck elevated and an open coolant reservoir tank is the procedure for bleeding the air out of the heater core.

I did this myself and the water rushing sound went away for good. Before I did this, I would hear water rushing in or out of the heater core upon acceleration.

There's a technical bulletin about it.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=4818

·
Registered
126 Posts
The A/C is a bit loud in my Colorado, but it also works really well. It's much more powerful than the unit in my 2015 Camaro SS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give the purging of air from the heater core trick a try tomorrow and report back. THANKS!

·
Registered
287 Posts
i only hear mine when the music is off or low... which is rare. doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2015 that we picked-up in May. After a couple months, the A/C compressor developed some intermittent excessive noise in the cabin. Definitely the compressor and not the fan. Sounds like something between a growl and a buzz for lack of any better comparison. The RPMs so to speak, of the noise when it's present, go up and down with acceleration/deceleration - sort of like someone imitating a motorcycle. It'll stop for a short while if you turn the compressor off, but will start again after the engine is under load. Sometimes it doesn't occur at all and is quiet for days. More of an annoyance because we know it's there. A/C otherwise works fine. Dealer couldn't repeat it at the 5K check. Will keep mentioning it as we get it serviced. JD

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone else experience excessive AC compressor noise in the cabin? I have my auto fan set to 2 and I can hear compressor gurgling over the fan noise. With AC off I only hear the fan.

I have verified that the HVAC filter cover behind glove box is securely attached.

Is this normal or is there something I can investigate further?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to bring up an old thread but has this issue been resolved? Looks like I'll be taking in my 2017 for this same issue. Very loud AC. Sort of a mechanical whine just as described here. Turn the AC off and it goes away. Works great otherwise but even my 12 year old VW had a quiet AC. Pretty disappointing.

Anyone?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but has this issue been resolved? Looks like I'll be taking in my 2017 for this same issue. Very loud AC. Sort of a mechanical whine just as described here. Turn the AC off and it goes away. Works great otherwise but even my 12 year old VW had a quiet AC. Pretty disappointing.

Anyone?
Like I tell most of my software users...working as designed. It is a pretty loud system, but it blows very cold air which is what I want so I can live with it.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts

Anyone?
my 2016 is quiet. I can't hear the compressor inside the cabin. My car on the other hand sounds like it might come apart someday soon. This has nothing to do with our trucks under warranty but I've had luck adding oil but don't know how long it "helps" and 9 times out of 10 it won't shut it up at all.

Some peeps are mentioning a gurgle inside, nothing to do with the compressor. That is going to be air in the coolant. I can hear the freon rushing in on mine when I first turn it on though, again, nothing to do with the compressor and normal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
2017 Z71 CCSB 3.6 here and I have the same issue with the AC compressor. Example, taking off from a stop I noticed I could hear a kind of whine or electrical feedback in the cab that would get higher pitched with rise in rpm. At first I had a panic and thought this was my transmission whining or something, as the sound was synced with the rpm's and gear shifts. Well I turned off the AC system completely, took off from a stop and everything was quiet and smooth, I was relieved. The AC blows cold and no complaints otherwise, but will take it in if it gets worse in any way. I hit 10K today !!

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
2017 Z71 CCSB 3.6 here and I have the same issue with the AC compressor. Example, taking off from a stop I noticed I could hear a kind of whine or electrical feedback in the cab that would get higher pitched with rise in rpm. At first I had a panic and thought this was my transmission whining or something, as the sound was synced with the rpm's and gear shifts. Well I turned off the AC system completely, took off from a stop and everything was quiet and smooth, I was relieved. The AC blows cold and no complaints otherwise, but will take it in if it gets worse in any way. I hit 10K today !!
What happened to your Silver 2016?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Traded my Silver 2016 LT with 28K miles and I had it about a year and half. Came out about a $1,000 above what I owed. I now have a 2017 Black Z71 4WD CCSB and love it, got it in March and just hit 10K on the OD today. AC noise is so far the ONLY 'issue', well, besides the strange startup rattle that sometimes happens (Some say it's a lifter pumping up, I dunno...why always that lifter on the passenger side?) anyway, I've got 6yr 100,000 bumper to bumper, so if anything gets worse I'll just take it in. I need to update my garage I suppose.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is exactly the same. It seems to be getting worse though. When the truck first starts the noise goes in and out which tells me it has to be a malfunction. Once you hit the throttle though it's constant and rises and falls with rpms. I bought the truck in Feb so didn't notice it till about May when we had our first heat wave. Now in the heat of summer and just over 6k miles it's getting louder. Thinking maybe early build 17's got a bad batch of compressors or something. I have an appointment for Thursday. I have the sound recorded for the advisor so they can't give me that "couldn't duplicate" crap. I'll report back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup...have the same problem with my 2015 Canyon. I've had it to the dealer twice...different dealer each time...long story! On the first visit they said there was some issue with a valve near the compressor? Said they fixed the problem but it didn't change a thing. On the second visit, the dealer said they could hear the issue but said it was caused by the design of the A/C system. They even gave me the "listened to a new truck on our lot and it does the same thing" line of crap. Basically I will have to learn to deal with it as I'm tired of taking this truck to the dealer...and my wife has had enough of my complaining about the truck;-) I know this does nothing to solve your problem with the A/C system, but at least you know your not alone!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts