Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my stock 9005 high beams. I've searched the forums but I am only finding threads on the low beams. The high beams are in a reflector housing, so it can be hit or miss as to which bulbs work.

Has anyone tried LEDs in the high beam? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they work. Pictures showing beam output would be great.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Has anyone tried LEDs in the high beam? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they work. Pictures showing beam output would be great.

Thanks!
pictures aren't going to show you anything compared to real world.
LED conversions as well as HID and the like are a waste of money and time for little better, if any, results. but its your $$ and if it makes you happy then go for it

·
Registered
18 Posts
LED conversions as well as HID and the like are a waste of money and time for little better, if any, results. but its your $$ and if it makes you happy then go for it

Wait what? The hid low beam upgrade was probably the best money I ever spent. Light output is at least 100% better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am looking to upgrade my stock 9005 high beams. I've searched the forums but I am only finding threads on the low beams. The high beams are in a reflector housing, so it can be hit or miss as to which bulbs work.

Thanks!
If you like to try a inexpensive set that are Good Build Quality & Have a Very Nice Light output try these i just bought 9006 & 9005 1st Gen & was super impressed with them !

·
Registered
348 Posts
Really a waste of money & time !! Those $20 MUENING LED bulbs made a Major improvement over the $50 Sylvania Silverstar Ultras i had in my headlights which was a Big improvement over the stock bulbs !!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Thanks!
What ever bulb you choose make sure it has adjustable indexing or you're going to scatter your light all over the place, Plus make sure the bulb will fit under the dust cover. I've been using VLEDs in my highs and they are definitely an improvement over stock or even the Silverstar type halogens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used Diode Dynamic for mine, I had to modify the bulb body a little bit due to the body not being completely true to the stock dimensions. All that was needed was to file away a little bit of the plastic. the first one took me about 10-15 minutes of screwing around with before I figured out where it needed material removed, after that one, it took me about 3 min to reprofile the bulb body and install.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is it true that some LED bulbs cause interference in radio reception? One of my fellow workers put some Amazon LED's in a 2013 Ford F150 that caused radio reception issues and I think I have seen some posts here. Stock bulbs in the Twins are the same as my former 2004 Ford Ranger. GM Bean Counters really cut corners in the light department.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
My entire truck is running LEDS. No interference but at the same time, I dont have a tock stereo system either but Id assume if it caused interference it would regardless of which stereo was in it.

The low and high beams I'm using are Simdevanma's from Amazon. They are around $30 a pair.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Simdevanma's All The Way

I have Simdevanma's in both low and high beam and couldn't be happier. And for the record the headlight rear dust caps have been off for 30,000 miles with NO problems.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Is it true that some LED bulbs cause interference in radio reception? One of my fellow workers put some Amazon LED's in a 2013 Ford F150 that caused radio reception issues and I think I have seen some posts here. Stock bulbs in the Twins are the same as my former 2004 Ford Ranger. GM Bean Counters really cut corners in the light department.

yes, some say the led's screw up the radio, some even say the led interior lights cause issues, but to most they do not.
Have no idea why a few have issues and most do not

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have LED's throughout the entire truck including lows and highs, no interference. I went with Sealights, which seems to be a popular pick. Huge upgrade to stock and well worth the $100 cost. With brake lights, reverse lights, cargo, and interior, I think I did the whole car for around $150. First upgrade I made after trying to drive in a bad snowstorm at night and couldn't see anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.