Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Excuse me if it has been asked but tried to search for it but the search on this site sucks. How bullet proof are they? :???:
Those of us here who have a 2017 with the 8 speed have good expereience so far. I have 7,000 mile so far and it is doing well. Some others have quite a few more miles and they seem good. Generally smooth shifting and no problems.

Reactions: Midnight Rider

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah google is your best friend for searching as long as you include coloradofans as stated above.
Only had it for 2k but best trans I've yet to have on a vehicle. Seams to like about a minute of driving before it's perfect. It has a slightly harsh engagement the first couple times up From and down to 1st/2nd at low speed. (Even then it's only easy to notice because it's so damn smooth the rest of the time) knock on wood.
From my reading there hasn't been failures which is always a good sign a year into something new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I we only have 6K miles on our Canyon and I am thrilled with the 3.6 / 8 spd combo. Getting 19-20 mpg around town and 25 mph on the highway. Shifts are smooth and it seems to hold the appropriate gear most of time. Only time will tell regarding how "bullet proof" it is. Love this truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah google is your best friend for searching as long as you include coloradofans as stated above.
Only had it for 2k but best trans I've yet to have on a vehicle. Seams to like about a minute of driving before it's perfect. It has a slightly harsh engagement the first couple times up From and down to 1st/2nd at low speed. (Even then it's only easy to notice because it's so damn smooth the rest of the time) knock on wood.
From my reading there hasn't been failures which is always a good sign a year into something new.
I was wondering if I was the only one that didn't like how harsh 1st was when coming to a stop sometimes. It's like driving a cvt up until that occasional thunk during moderate braking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
It is early to this point but we have not seen failures here yet or on other models with it.

Some V8 applications have reported harsh shifts but I have not seen this on the V6.

The reported numbers I saw of the transmissions capacity were good. Sorry I do not recall the numbers right now. The aftermarket has yet to really test these limits much yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have just over 5000 km (3000 miles) on mine, and love the 8 speed! Coming from a 5 speed manual Honda Element, I'm enjoying letting the truck do the work. There are a lot of hills in my area, so the hill assist is an added bonus! The shifting is smooth, and when needed the truck has great acceleration.

·
Registered
628 Posts
As others noted the tranny has been around in various vehicles for a few years, but just came to the Twins in '17, so the longevity jury is still out on it. I can tell you that after having 3, 4 and 6 speed automatics and with 4, 6 and 8 cylinder vehicles, the combination of the 8 speed automatic and the 3.6 is the smoothest combination I've ever had.

I am one of the few that has the shudder which is covered under GM Doc #4526930 and after talking to a couple of technicians, I've been told it will be cured, the appointment is Wednesday to have the fluid changed, which is the fix. The truck has 2,700 miles and the problem showed up at ~2,500 miles. The service department at the largest local Chevy Dealer, said they have only had a couple of these in the last year, so it didn't sound like it is a widespread problem.

This is also the only warranty item that I have had with the truck, which is far fewer than other new or certified vehicle that I have purchased. Overall, I am very impressed with the quality on the truck, the ride and the mileage. My worse 50 mile run, according to the DIC, is 6 MPG higher than my best run ever with my old truck which I drove for over 120k miles. The old truck would almost give you whiplash when it shifted from 1st to 2nd and there was still a solid thump going into 3rd and 4th - I don't miss the old tranny at all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
...I am one of the few that has the shudder which is covered under GM Doc #4526930 and after talking to a couple of technicians, I've been told it will be cured, the appointment is Wednesday to have the fluid changed, which is the fix. The truck has 2,700 miles and the problem showed up at ~2,500 miles. The service department at the largest local Chevy Dealer, said they have only had a couple of these in the last year, so it didn't sound like it is a widespread problem...
This is the first I am hearing about this for the '17 8 speeds. That document explains my exact issue with my '17 ZR2. I have 3300 miles on mine but like you, has been ocurring since ~2500 mile mark. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As others noted the tranny has been around in various vehicles for a few years, but just came to the Twins in '17, so the longevity jury is still out on it. I can tell you that after having 3, 4 and 6 speed automatics and with 4, 6 and 8 cylinder vehicles, the combination of the 8 speed automatic and the 3.6 is the smoothest combination I've ever had.

I am one of the few that has the shudder which is covered under GM Doc #4526930 and after talking to a couple of technicians, I've been told it will be cured, the appointment is Wednesday to have the fluid changed, which is the fix. The truck has 2,700 miles and the problem showed up at ~2,500 miles. The service department at the largest local Chevy Dealer, said they have only had a couple of these in the last year, so it didn't sound like it is a widespread problem.

This is also the only warranty item that I have had with the truck, which is far fewer than other new or certified vehicle that I have purchased. Overall, I am very impressed with the quality on the truck, the ride and the mileage. My worse 50 mile run, according to the DIC, is 6 MPG higher than my best run ever with my old truck which I drove for over 120k miles. The old truck would almost give you whiplash when it shifted from 1st to 2nd and there was still a solid thump going into 3rd and 4th - I don't miss the old tranny at all.
Is the shudder your referring to the rumble strip feeling you get in low gears at moderate throttle?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2017 that was purchased December 2016. I have almost 14,000 miles on it.

It has not left me stranded, and most of the times the transmission is pretty smooth; however, I do have some issues with the transmission.

1.) When I start the truck, immediately after the engine turns over, I get a decently loud clunk and I can feel it in the cab which leads me to believe it could be the transmission, but the way things can travel I'm not sure. It's annoying for a brand new truck.

2.) Sometimes it feels lethargic on cold starts. This has been addressed on this forum in other posts. After it sits overnight, when I start up the truck and immediately put it in drive and try to go, the truck doesn't want to move and requires me to hit the gas to get out of the garage. (I reverse park into the garage) If the truck is warm, I can idle right out no problem.

3.) I get some hard shifts from first to second while in slow/stop-and-go traffic.

4.) I've had a few instances in which the transmission was not in first gear after coming to a stop (I guess). I hit the gas after stopping and the truck acted like it wasn't in gear or was in the process of downshifting or something. There was a hesitation/clunk/lurch. This has happened about 3 to 4 times now, and all within the past couple months.

·
Registered
183 Posts
New 2018 V-6 gasser and this truck shifts very smooth as it transitions through the gears. I like the acceleration and it picks up at any speed regardless of hills or elevation changes with plenty of torque.
I have not experienced anything unusual at all, this thing is dialed in right.
I wish you all good luck, mine is as close to perfect as I have ever experienced. I really like this new truck.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Is the shudder your referring to the rumble strip feeling you get in low gears at moderate throttle?
The rumble strip feeling is exactly what I get in when I'm in the 1,300 - 1,600 RPM range. I'll see how it is after it goes is for service this week.
;;

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Is the 8 speed same as the 6 speed in terms of having no dipstick?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2017 that was purchased December 2016. I have almost 14,000 miles on it.

It has not left me stranded, and most of the times the transmission is pretty smooth; however, I do have some issues with the transmission.

1.) When I start the truck, immediately after the engine turns over, I get a decently loud clunk and I can feel it in the cab which leads me to believe it could be the transmission, but the way things can travel I'm not sure. It's annoying for a brand new truck.

2.) Sometimes it feels lethargic on cold starts. This has been addressed on this forum in other posts. After it sits overnight, when I start up the truck and immediately put it in drive and try to go, the truck doesn't want to move and requires me to hit the gas to get out of the garage. (I reverse park into the garage) If the truck is warm, I can idle right out no problem.

3.) I get some hard shifts from first to second while in slow/stop-and-go traffic.

4.) I've had a few instances in which the transmission was not in first gear after coming to a stop (I guess). I hit the gas after stopping and the truck acted like it wasn't in gear or was in the process of downshifting or something. There was a hesitation/clunk/lurch. This has happened about 3 to 4 times now, and all within the past couple months.
Copying on 1,3 and 4. Have yet to own the 2018 through a winter so we'll see about #2 though my 2016 was ok in snow-line country though.

The #1 was covered in another topic/thread. If I remember right, it had to do with something being torqued still or becoming torqued after parking (like parking up or downhill and shifting into park and then letting off your brake and not setting the E-brake-amazingly my garage is enough of a "grade"). Others said if you held your brake on start-up it seemed to lessen if not entirely take that away. Guess I fell out of that habit because since I went back to that it's been fine less a couple times I forgot. Had an older vehicle I had to hold the brake to even start it, this one and the couple prior I didn't.

#3- Usually get this slowing down to a stop light but it's so random and so much less of an issue than the 6-speed in the 2016 I had I'm not even going to screw with it. Kinda like a "thump" from behind and it being a gear higher than it should've been. The 2016 when I was in S&G traffic at about 20-35mph was obnoxious for having that feeling of not "knowing" what gear it should be in!

#4-Similar to #3, usually when I catch it between gears slowing to a stop light that suddenly goes green and I'm the lead. Kinda hesitates and is giving me the "well whatdya really wanna do?" delay.

Otherwise it's great, much cleaner than my 2016 was for sure!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a 2016 Z71, and my new ZR2 with the 8 speed is a real hotrod. Seems to shift better without the 2016's chuggle problems, and the quick shift into 2nd and 3rd is a hoot even if you are not giving it a lot of gas..... The 8 speed makes it a whole different animal.... :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.