Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have now successfully fixed 6 vehicles with the 6L50 transmission. 2 gasser Colorados, my diesel Canyon, a BMW and a Camaro. If anyone one is interested I will do a tutorial on exactly what you need to do. So far this has fixed shudder and hard shifting issues in all 6 vehicles.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Let me guess, replace the fluid with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP black label? ;)

(Your post reads like an infomercial, BTW. Just spit it out.)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
No, the OP really wanted to help others, but there are a couple of members that want to rain on your parade. They know who they are.

Reactions: RJL1983

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, despite the one smartelic comment, here we go. This has worked 6 out of 6 times. 2 were told their torque converter was bad and it fixed them also.

What you will need.
12 quarts of dexron 6 atf. Doesn't matter what brand much as it's more of a flushing agent.
Cheap transfer pump from wherever.
A new filter.
And yes, 7 quarts of Mobil 1 LV ATF HP black label.

Start by pumping out 6 quarts of fluid from your fill plug. Replace with 6 quarts of the cheap dexron 6. Drive for a week. You will notice an improvement almost immediately. After a week repeat and drive another week. Then pump out another 6 quarts and drop the pan. When you drop the pan you will get an additional quart out. Clean pan, magnet and replace the filter. Pump in 7 quarts of the Mobil 1 fluid and enjoy your transmission functioning properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
No, the OP really wanted to help others, but there are a couple of members that want to rain on your parade. They know who they are.
Nobody is raining on his parade, if he has info to share then he should share it. There was nothing about my post that was raining on his parade considering what I brought up is hardly a secret.

Thanks for sharing your fix, @Gm4life33

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I did not quote you as raining on his parade, I guess you felt guilty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright, despite the one smartelic comment, here we go. This has worked 6 out of 6 times. 2 were told their torque converter was bad and it fixed them also.

What you will need.
12 quarts of dexron 6 atf. Doesn't matter what brand much as it's more of a flushing agent.
Cheap transfer pump from wherever.
A new filter.
And yes, 7 quarts of Mobil 1 LV ATF HP black label.

Start by pumping out 6 quarts of fluid from your fill plug. Replace with 6 quarts of the cheap dexron 6. Drive for a week. You will notice an improvement almost immediately. After a week repeat and drive another week. Then pump out another 6 quarts and drop the pan. When you drop the pan you will get an additional quart out. Clean pan, magnet and replace the filter. Pump in 7 quarts of the Mobil 1 fluid and enjoy your transmission functioning properly.
Thanks Gm4life33,
My 2016 Colorado Diesel had just started doing this. I was nine miles past warranty, yes just 9 miles, and the dealer identified that I had a transmission issue, but suggested that I needed to replace it at $3400. However, they offered GM Assistance with a 60/40 split, so this still would have been $2400 out the door.

In searching around... I see A LOT of 6L50 owners have been reporting similar issues

I have been living with it, until now, so I'll give this a shot over the weekend.

Certainly appreciate that you passed along the info. Keep socially distant... in the garage! =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having a flush done at the dealer for thier records to attempt to fix this issue. At 75 mph the truck shudders under load like a hill. And randomly at low speeds. Can't ever duplicate it. I performed 2 drain and fills with Dexron VI but still the issue is there.

After to dealer flush, I'll be happy to add in the Mobil 1 LV or Amsoil SS atf, both meet the Dexron HP

Dexron HP the dealer refuses to add it in....

Yes I have a 2016 2.8l with the 6l50 with 43k.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I used the latest Mobil 1 LV HP "blue label" when I installed a PML pan. Checked the specs on the new fluid, it is slightly lower viscoity when cold, but does not thin out as much when hot as regular D6 as it has a higher viscosity index. My truck has a GDE trans tune, never had any shudder problems, but the new fluid added an even higher level of refinement. It shifts smoother in the bitter cold and seems to be just a little quicker and slicker shifting. New fluid will do that too I suppose. Anyway, the blue label works great in the 6L50, have no fear using it.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts