Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
After going through countless threads and videos, I was dreading this. Finally got motivated today, and it wasn't that bad. It's pretty intuitive once you get under there and look. One tool, removed 30 T15's, had 13 left over after buttoning everything back up. 1.5 hours total.
I'm liking the trim job by MaineMan, but it's out now, in the garage rafters, never to be seen again.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
It is a vile, hideous abomination.
Destroy it.
But you could paint it white and make shark teeth.

Reactions: PacificBlueDude

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with the tool. Beside the T15 I also needed a 7mm socket, but the removal was painless and took about one hour. I reversed the thread clamps, just in case. I could now mount that thing again in a few minutes.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for sharing your experience with the tool. Beside the T15 I also needed a 7mm socket, but the removal was painless and took about one hour. I reversed the thread clamps, just in case. I could now mount that thing again in a few minutes.

View attachment 391741
Looks way better Sir...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone notice any negative effects of removing the air dam? Or is it literally there just for fuel economy purposes? Im planning to remove mine as well with it on it makes the truck have lower ground clearance up front than most cross overs which is sad and makes the front look way to low.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
That is a hotly debated question and others have done mileage tests to determine any benefit.
My answer is, if you are likely to be going over stuff and its likely to get ripped off, remove it. The benefit of the ground clearance is greater.
If you are mainly a street and towing machine, keep it on. The benefits of the air flow and engine bay venting are greater.
In general, there are no negatives to removing the dam, only very slight losses in venting and stability that are hardly noticed.

Reactions: Bauerman

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Anyone notice any negative effects of removing the air dam? Or is it literally there just for fuel economy purposes? Im planning to remove mine as well with it on it makes the truck have lower ground clearance up front than most cross overs which is sad and makes the front look way to low.
I don't know how Chevrolet in good conscience can sell a "Z71 Off-Road" package truck and then slap a 7 inch air dam on the front of it effectively destroying one of the most important factors of being able to go "off road" that being approach angle. Mine was off as soon as I had the tool in hand to remove and was thrown away. I off road and tow relatively heavy loads at times - have seen ZERO impacts from the removal. Chevrolet bowing to the MPG and fuel efficiency gods.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts