Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 18 year old son removed the front air dam from my 2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab in exactly 60 minutes this evening with a single tool and no removal of the bumper. Just drove it up on ramps and had it removed in one hour.

This is the tool, ordered it from Amazon and it arrived today. Its a small 1/4" ratchet (very small) and it came with the needed T15 head needed for all the screws.

He did have to loosen one wheel well screw and a couple of other screws underneath holding some plastic moldings in place (to get to some of the screw heads on the air dam) but all of those screw heads were T15's as well.

The final product....

And the truck now...

It could be put back on now in about 15 minutes running the screws up through the bottom as they should have been from the factory....

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
That’s the tool that everyone else has been using on the hard to get to screws in the middle.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s the tool that everyone else has been using on the hard to get to screws in the middle.
There are a number of them on Amazon, but I think this might be one of the smallest and therefore the best for the job....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sons are great! My son trimmed about 1/2 of my air dam off. I didn’t want it completely removed.

He provided his own tools. My cost? A six pack of his favorite beer.

It looks good removed or trimmed. Like you said, if ever you wanted it back on it’s a 15 min job.

Gusto!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sons are great! My son trimmed about 1/2 of my air dam off. I didn’t want it completely removed.

It looks good removed or trimmed. Like you said, if ever you wanted it back on it’s a 15 min job.

Gusto!
Sons are the best! I ate dinner, came out, and my approach angle was vastly better on the truck!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts

Gusto!
Would like to see a picture of your trimmed air dam if you could post. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
[

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Nice job. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
that tool is available at walmart home depot lowes etc. had one for years. and i'll keep the dam original . doesnt bother me

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that tool is available at walmart home depot lowes etc. had one for years. and i'll keep the dam original . doesnt bother me
Maybe, but it was $8 on Amazon and I did not have to go pick it up...

Air dam had to go for me, it was literally hitting parking stops in parking lots, ridiculous for an "off road package" vehicle....

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
May I piggyback?

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
There are a number of them on Amazon, but I think this might be one of the smallest and therefore the best for the job....
My tool is similar but had a 1/4 socket driver on the other side of the head. I wish i had the Neiko.
Once those T15 screws are broken, i spun tgem out holding the bit with fingers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My tool is similar but had a 1/4 socket driver on the other side of the head. I wish i had the Neiko.
Once those T15 screws are broken, i spun tgem out holding the bit with fingers.
I looked over your process. You certainly used a lot more tools, but got to the same result.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
I looked over your process. You certainly used a lot more tools, but got to the same result.
I was winging it then, jut just doing what I thought was necessary. Some others have been able to do it with fewer steps. But if I do it again, Im lifting the front a few inches.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was winging it then, jut just doing what I thought was necessary. Some others have been able to do it with fewer steps. But if I do it again, Im lifting the front a few inches.
Yeah - we had the truck on ramps - made things A LOT easier.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts