Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I’ve been waiting for the right time to write this review....

2018 GMC Canyon Denali. Crew cab, 4 wd

No mods.

8,000 miles towing 4500 lbs Travel Trailer.
1,000 miles towing open car trailer with Chevy C10 ~ 3,500 lbs
23,000 miles running around empty.

What I love:

Mileage - 29-31 empty highway, back roads with some city. Towing - travel trailer 14 mpg average, can vary based on wind, terrain, and speed (11 mpg up to 15.5 mpg). Car trailer - 18 pretty consistently.
Size - easy to park, great comfort as its usually just me and my wife.
Reliability - so far oil changes, fuel filter changes, and tires rotated. That’s it.

What’s just ok - ride (empty) Might try some different shocks.

Suggestions -
Homelink garage door opener - really GM? Top of the line and no opener?
Blind spot monitoring - safety item for me
Automatic tailgate lock
Airride suspension option
Automatic headlight dimming and rain sensing windshield wipers

I absolutely would buy another one of these trucks. I’ve owned a Dodge 2500 Cummins combo that I put 400k miles, Ram Ecodiesel that was a POS (traded it at 24k because it left my wife stranded 3 times).

Peace,
Don

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great summary. Is your car trailer open or closed? When you mentioned impact of wind on mileage I was wondering what type of trailer you have.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
29 - 31???? Was someone pushing you? I drive highway every day to work and I average 18 - 20.
The OP never said what engine he is reviewing. If it’s a diesel, 14 mpg towing a 4,500 lb. trailer is not very good. The diesel should do better than that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The OP never said what engine he is reviewing. If it’s a diesel, 14 mpg towing a 4,500 lb. trailer is not very good. The diesel should do better than that.
I get 10 (on level ground) pulling my 5500-6000lb RV. It's big and wide though, and I have no air dam. I'd be ecstatic if I got 14.

·
Registered
135 Posts
32k in 6 months is a hell of a lot of miles! haha

mid-high teens with the car trailer seems reasonable. i get about that towing the boat and it weighs a bit more than your car trailer.
as mentioned the height of the trailer plays a huge role, the aero drag is significant with something a lot taller than the truck

and as youre bound to blow through the warranty pretty quickly at this rate, at least a few of your concerns could be addressed with some aftermarket parts :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So to answer questions

Yes it’s a diesel - thought I was in the diesel forum
Open car trailer
If you have a diesel and it’s getting 18-20 mpg something is wrong or you have monster truck tires on it

The winds out west wreaked havoc on our towing mileage (travel trailer is 10 ft), also big difference between 60 mph and 75 mph

Peace,
Don

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am curious about your trailer Chevy C10 towing. I had asked a question either on this forum or the Camaro6 forum about towing my 3700 lb. Camaro and was told "no way". Thoughts?

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s no problem with the diesel. Weighs less than my travel trailer. I’d attach a picture if I could figure how to do it on my iPad

Peace,
Don

·
Registered
424 Posts
@champ203 Don, I can fix at least one annoyance for you- the homelink. Here is a 4 channel programmable remote for $24, it fits in the tiny useless cubby between the seat heaters. No reason to have homelink ever again, its obsolete.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/XIHADA-Universal-Programmable-4-Buttons-280MHZ-868MHZ/dp/B07CYP2W3F/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=programmable+garage+door+opener+remote&qid=1552071015&s=hi&sr=1-8[/ame]

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Suggestions -
Homelink garage door opener - really GM? Top of the line and no opener?
Blind spot monitoring - safety item for me
Automatic tailgate lock
Airride suspension option
Automatic headlight dimming and rain sensing windshield wipers
I just bought a Chevy LT, but found my dream configuration in a GMC SLT. I ended up going for the LT because the only things I really wanted badly in the SLT was leather/lumbar seats and the color red. That wasn't worth the $6,000 difference in price I would have to pay (which included differences in dealer pricing, rebates and options). Things like automated climate control don't really do it for me, in part because I really hated it on a 2012 Rav4 (but it's nice on a 2019 Subaru).

I'm not saying the things you mention would have made me jump to the higher priced truck, but I do miss Homelink from my old car, and my wife's car has blind spot monitoring which I miss. And while I don't like the features for the lazy like automated climate control, rain sensing wipers would be very nice!

One thing you didn't mention is adaptive cruise control. Since it already has collision sensing, how hard would it be to make that an option?

Seems like GM isn't doing that good of a job of upselling.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
@champ203 Don, I can fix at least one annoyance for you- the homelink. Here is a 4 channel programmable remote for $24, it fits in the tiny useless cubby between the seat heaters. No reason to have homelink ever again, its obsolete.
Homelink can't be stolen from your car if it's parked outside for some reason.

·
Registered
168 Posts
CHAM203'
Thanks for the excellent review. Your usage mirrors my plans for the diesel twin I'm planning to purchase in the Spring. This is the kind of post that's a big help to those of us perspective and new owners.

Thanks again Don,
Howard

·
Registered
424 Posts
@Goodspike If you are worried about a $20 opener being stolen I would think you have bigger issues than the door opener... although I live in a low-crime area. Is this seriously something that happens in cities?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I average 22-24MPG with my normal driving/commute, towing the horse trailer nets around 14MPG and towing our travel trailer averages around 12MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
@Goodspike If you are worried about a $20 opener being stolen I would think you have bigger issues than the door opener... although I live in a low-crime area. Is this seriously something that happens in cities?
It's not the cost of the opener. Thieves steal the remote to break into the garage, and if you don't have a lock on the man-door, the house. They will even do that at night when people are sleeping.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's not the cost of the opener. Thieves steal the remote to break into the garage, and if you don't have a lock on the man-door, the house. They will even do that at night when people are sleeping.

upgrade to an opener thatll run off your cellphone and dont carry the opener or leave anything in your car (liftmaster q link comes to mind)

·
Registered
424 Posts
@Goodspike I never thought of that, it is sad that innocent people have to be that vigilant. We dont even lock our houses or cars ever

·
Registered
350 Posts
He said 2018 GMC Canyon. How’s your diesel working for you?

I get 15-17 towing my 4500 lbs boat. A tall windshield acts like a sail and increases drag. I average 28-31 highway, 22-24 around town empty. He’s not far off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts