Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 ZR2 Diesel Colorado. I also have the dash cam listed below. I am wanting to hard wire this behind the mirror. But, this dash cam requires 5v input. It comes with a cigarette lighter adapter but the adapter knocks it down to 5v. I feel like I checked all the wires and couldn't find a 5v. But, I am not that awesome electrical so I could be wrong. Any thoughts on a 5v power source so I don't have to use this adapter?

Rexing V1P 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dual Channel Wi-Fi Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
There is not a 5 volt power source in the truck. you will have to have a transformer/adapter to knock it down from 12 volts

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Like what has already been mentioned here you can use a buck converter and hide it somewhere. Tie into the trucks electrical 12 volt system somewhere and the output will be 5 volts as required. I use something similar for my deer feeder which requires 6 volts but run it off a large 12 volt battery. Works great!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I could be wrong (it will be the first time in the last 10 minutes though) but I believe the USB ports are 5 volt. The may not have enough amperage though.
The USB gets its power from the A90 Logic module. Given the gauge of the wires and dedicated circuitry for communications I would not mess with it. Best to install a buck converter in a location appropriate to the project. Plenty of opportunities to tap into a solid 12 volts.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a 2020 ZR2 Diesel Colorado. I also have the dash cam listed below. I am wanting to hard wire this behind the mirror. But, this dash cam requires 5v input. It comes with a cigarette lighter adapter but the adapter knocks it down to 5v. I feel like I checked all the wires and couldn't find a 5v. But, I am not that awesome electrical so I could be wrong. Any thoughts on a 5v power source so I don't have to use this adapter?

Rexing V1P 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dual Channel Wi-Fi Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam
You can install the tiny buck converter behind the mirror. They are tiny in size and fit in the palm of your hand.
The 12 volts would be available at pin 2 of the A10 connector of the rear view mirror.
Please see the attached diagrams.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies folks. I went ahead and modified the original cigarette lighter adapter/charger. I dremeled off one end and then soldered wires to the two inputs. Then splcied the usb into the output of the adapter. Snapped it back together and hid it up in the headliner just above mirror.

Then I soldered on needles to the ends to the wires and simply tapped into the two wires from the bigger plug that have switched 12v. (black/gnd and purple/black as power). Pics below. Works fine now. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Good job! Way to go MacGyver.....(y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is creative thinking. I have a number of those adapters that may become the hardwired source for my dash cam or other items.

thanks for the pics and info.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Word of caution, I have a Garmin GPS with built in dash cam. In my old Sierra, I tapped into a 12v source leading to the map lights and installed a cigarette lighter outlet in the overhead console to keep from having wires hanging down. With the lifetime maps/traffic option, the cigarette liggter adapter plug had the receiver built in it to receive the traffic updates, so I have to use that particular cord. I went through three gps's before realizing that the gps was not going out. The gps cord/reciever was getting way too hot and burning up. During the summer months the roof of the truck got so hot that no electronics could survive inside the overhead console. I guess I was lucky that it didn't lead to an actual fire. Perhaps of layer of reflectix or other heat shield might help between the roof and the converter to shield it from the heat, but it's going to get hot stepping down from 12v to 5v in that area. I now have to live with the cord hanging down and plugged into the 12v outlet under the infotainment system. Stays much cooler there out of the heat and direct sun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts