Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got one.
I'm putting this in the off road forum section because it really is an off roading essential. Do you know how easily your drive shaft is dented and taken out of balance? The OEM is very thin and some have found theirs to be out of balance without damage.

Enter the 589 Fab all steel propeller shaft.
I'm fairly selective on what accessories I put on my 'Rodo depending on usefulness and difficulty level.
A driveshaft replacement is not difficult and can be a life saver. If nothing else, get your shaft checked for balance.

To start with, they use sealed service-free Spicer U-joints, the same used in Dana drivelines. The package weight was 35 lbs, but I can update this later.
I will be taking this to a shop to check for balance b4 I install it. It's not that I don't trust 589, it's just good practice to inspect what you expect, especially on a critical item like this.
I went to the stealer and got new retaining straps GM 23107857 and bolts GM 11548472. The torque on these is nothing, 18 lbs ft. If you look at the design, it really doesn't need to be high torque because all the pressure is applied to the sides of the yokes the U-joints slide into.
However, bolts and straps should always be replaced when removed. Your truck won't run without $22 in parts; or a $1 fuse for that matter.
Only complaint: I didn't get a 589 FAB logo! C'mon, man!
20191209_191735.jpg 20191209_191329.jpg 20191209_191252.jpg 20191209_191225.jpg 20191209_191153.jpg 20191209_191124.jpg 20191209_190937.jpg 20191209_190908.jpg 20191209_190850.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
I'll have to break down and buy one. I scratched mine up pretty good but the dents are small. It won't take much to fold this thing like a pretzel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ill end up going this route in the future, but damn I ordered 2 sets of ZR2 steps and im praying that gets a sticker lol...

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
At the balance shop today.
I watched a video A guy has of him installing one of these in his ZR2. Thanks, guy.
I did notice he had to really force it out of the rear yoke. I wonder if any damage can be done to the transfer case output seal if the slip yoke is forced into it during the separation?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Couldn't you just go to a local shop that does drive shafts and have one made up? Or is this drive shaft more special than someone local making one up??

Just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Couldn't you just go to a local shop that does drive shafts and have one made up? Or is this drive shaft more special than someone local making one up??

Just curious.
The shop I took it to for balance check said they would have cost about the same to make one up.
Mine was $500 delivered after a $140 Blk Friday special discount.

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts

Just curious.
If you have a quality shop in your area then you definitely could. In a crowded market like Sacramento you can have one custom made for less but some folks don't have that luxury so the 589Fab unit is great.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What would you have preferred, sealed or serviceable U-joints?

·
Registered
485 Posts
My experience with u-joints is: it really doesn't matter. I've had both kinds, & greased them every 3000 miles. They both last the same. Only advantage might be, if you do a lot of water crossings, you could get water out by injecting new grease. Non greasable joints are stronger. So, it's 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. Lol

The big thing is driveshaft wall thickness. Shops by me are NOT off road literate and only go up to a certain wall thickness. They say you don't need that thick, too hard to balance !!! So for me, the 589 shaft is the way to go.

A tiny ding offroad is no big deal. That same tiny ding at 70-80 mph can cause the driveshaft to self destruct, possibly taking out other expensive components.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you have a quality shop in your area then you definitely could. In a crowded market like Sacramento you can have one custom made for less but some folks don't have that luxury so the 589Fab unit is great.
Doesn't seem like it matters anymore because it appears @589FAB stopped making them. No longer on their website. Wonder what happened? Did they fail/break?

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
Doesn't seem like it matters anymore because it appears @589FAB stopped making them. No longer on their website. Wonder what happened? Did they fail/break?
Hmm weird. Maybe they are updating the website?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shafts were made for them. Perhaps they were a slow seller?
I got one. Decent quality. Sealed bearings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
We no longer have the Steel Driveshafts available. I can't go into details on a public a forum, but it had nothing to do our supplier or the part itself. If you run into me in person I'll be happy to let ya know what happened and we can laugh together. If you are a current owner of one of our driveshafts, we still stand behind them so don't hesitate to contact us if you have issues.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I need to edit my post #5 for clarification, since I can't edit directly, I have to re-post:

I watched a video guy has of him installing one of these in his ZR2. Thanks, guy.
I did notice he had to really force [the old shaft] out of the rear yoke. I wonder if any damage can be done to the transfer case output seal if the slip yoke is forced into it during the separation?

·
Registered
694 Posts
In GM's instruction for their Chevy Performance Propeller Shaft Package it state's:

"Caution: When removing the propeller shaft, do not attempt to remove the shaft by pounding on the yoke ears or using a tool between the yoke and the universal joint. If the propeller shaft is removed by using such means, this may lead to premature failure of the joint."

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
We no longer have the Steel Driveshafts available. I can't go into details on a public a forum, but it had nothing to do our supplier or the part itself. If you run into me in person I'll be happy to let ya know what happened and we can laugh together. If you are a current owner of one of our driveshafts, we still stand behind them so don't hesitate to contact us if you have issues.
This sounds like the same horseshit @SigArms went through with the body lift on a diesel Twin. All other products good to go?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@589FAB I still want a hidden bumper with 2" receiver

1 - 20 of 24 Posts