Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rented an Acadia in full Denali 4x4 trim to haul the family around North Carolina while on vacation. I had only driven the 3.6 here in Colorado, it is a different animal at sea level >:)

Did a lot of 65 mph two lane highway with the cruise set and averaged over 29 MPG. The 8 speed trans was seamless, it was really nice to drive. NC has weird off ramps, 30 mph jobs off of 70 mph highways. I might have come in a bit hot a few times. Not a worry, the Acadia, even loaded with my family and all our crap was sporty to drive, with crisp turn in and excellent brakes :laugh:

It was cool to already be familiar with the GM "ecosystem" and everything felt right at home. My only real complaint is it did have the dreaded EPA inspired sanitized for our protection dead pedal. Push on the gas pedal a little and nothing happens, keep at it and eventually, at around 1/3 of the way down, and the power train wakes up. I have gotten very used to the linear 1:1 response of my tuned diesel.

Then I looked up what that bad boy costs. Holy crap, at my local dealer loaded ones like my rental are 53K MSRP, on sale at 45K. Wow. I did enjoy the vented seats and having cold air blown up my backside though!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Rented an Acadia in full Denali 4x4 trim to haul the family around North Carolina while on vacation. I had only driven the 3.6 here in Colorado, it is a different animal at sea level >:)

Did a lot of 65 mph two lane highway with the cruise set and averaged over 29 MPG. The 8 speed trans was seamless, it was really nice to drive. NC has weird off ramps, 30 mph jobs off of 70 mph highways. I might have come in a bit hot a few times. Not a worry, the Acadia, even loaded with my family and all our crap was sporty to drive, with crisp turn in and excellent brakes :laugh:

It was cool to already be familiar with the GM "ecosystem" and everything felt right at home. My only real complaint is it did have the dreaded EPA inspired sanitized for our protection dead pedal. Push on the gas pedal a little and nothing happens, keep at it and eventually, at around 1/3 of the way down, and the power train wakes up. I have gotten very used to the linear 1:1 response of my tuned diesel.

Then I looked up what that bad boy costs. Holy crap, at my local dealer loaded ones like my rental are 53K MSRP, on sale at 45K. Wow. I did enjoy the vented seats and having cold air blown up my backside though!

We got the wife one about a year and a half ago. It was what she wanted and I had no real love one way or the other. Now we have had it for a while I love it. It is a little more peppy than the truck. note these only have the 6 speed transmission and will get a 9 speed this year.

Note I drive ours in sport mode most times. It turns the FWD to a 40% Front drive and 60% rear drive. It stiffens the steering and it makes the throttle more aggressive. Also if you has the electronic suspension it firms it up. We have it and it makes a noticeable difference in feel and handling ability.

I do like being able to get in it and still feel like my Canyon in some ways.

Around here we get 21 MPG city and we normally see 30-31 MPG highway.

Ours was $53K sticker but we got $13K off that. It was only $6K more than our 2012 SLT Terrain was but it is a much better vehicles.

In sport mode our Denali drives much more like our old SSEI Bonneville we had.

The wife had a friend with a Jeep Grand Cherokee go with here somewhere and she said she liked the Denali much better. The ride was so much better.

While I still love my Canyon I do wish my truck has the same level of ride feel but I understand it is a truck. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed - I had not noticed how truckish my truck feels until driving it today after spending a few days driving the Acadia. That is OK, it is an actual truck after all, not a Ridgeline :grin2:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
You have that right.

I had to laugh tonight. We were out and I dropped the wife off at the door and went to park.

I heard a beep beep but thought nothing of it. Then when I parked I could not get the doors to lock. I pulled out the fob and found I had my truck keys.

I had to go get her fob to lock the doors. You can not lock the drivers door with out the fob.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Thank you for the write up, this is on my Wife's list of possible vehicles to replace her Malibu. She also has the Blazer and Range Rover on the list, so I'm not getting out this cheap by any means.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Note the new has not changed much. But be aware they added the engine stop with the 9 speed. But at least on the V6 they claim you can shut it off.

It also added the push button shifter and Heads Up Display.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just had a SLE loaner while my truck was in for the recall and other stuff. It was just the base with the 4 cyl and 6 spd. The stop start was dam annoying. I’d come to a stop for 30 seconds or less and it would shut then I would try to go nothing. I found that if you put it in manual mode it wouldn’t shut off anymore. Plus I wasn’t impressed with the 6 spd maybe it was because it was leaning still but the way it shifted sucked. The car did only have 285 miles on it when they gave it to me.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My rental had 10K miles on it - good and broken in. I did not pay attention but I thought it had an 8 speed. Looked it up, it actually has a 6 speed - it worked really smoothly.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My wife wanted one many years ago, and as the saying goes, happy wife, happy life. Didn't workout that way though. First problem was the heater for the windshield washer spray was recalled, disconnected and a credit paid back. Seems that they were failing and setting the cars on fire. Alrighty then! Then the trans went out, just outside the warranty time period. GM agreed to cover half the cost. Then the steering started making noise, a regular complaint with owners of that year, and there was no fix for it. Replacing the rack and pinion may make the noise disappear, but it usually came back. Next, something engine related went that I can't for the life of me remember what it was - but there had been a silent recall on it and it was covered, minus $100 for fluids. Then at 62K, the engine seized and was toast. Again, GM split the cost, but I suspect the root cause had been the engine work done the year before and they were biting the bullet to cover for the dealer. After the dealer replaced the engine, they failed to realign the front wheels, and the car ate the two front tires. I've never had a car I would classify a lemon - outside of this one. Between poor design (the battery was located under the floorboard between the front and second row passenger seat in a box that didn't have enough clearance to get a hold of the battery for removal) and questionable service by two different dealers, this vehicle was enough of a POS that I would never buy another one - ever.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I just had a SLE loaner while my truck was in for the recall and other stuff. It was just the base with the 4 cyl and 6 spd. The stop start was dam annoying. I’d come to a stop for 30 seconds or less and it would shut then I would try to go nothing. I found that if you put it in manual mode it wouldn’t shut off anymore. Plus I wasn’t impressed with the 6 spd maybe it was because it was leaning still but the way it shifted sucked. The car did only have 285 miles on it when they gave it to me.

The start stop is a royal pain. There is a shake on start up on the 4 cylinder. It is one thing that would prevent me from even considering a Blazer as it can not be shut off even on the V6.

As for the six speed I wish my 8 speed was so smooth.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
My wife wanted one many years ago, and as the saying goes, happy wife, happy life. Didn't workout that way though. First problem was the heater for the windshield washer spray was recalled, disconnected and a credit paid back. Seems that they were failing and setting the cars on fire. Alrighty then! Then the trans went out, just outside the warranty time period. GM agreed to cover half the cost. Then the steering started making noise, a regular complaint with owners of that year, and there was no fix for it. Replacing the rack and pinion may make the noise disappear, but it usually came back. Next, something engine related went that I can't for the life of me remember what it was - but there had been a silent recall on it and it was covered, minus $100 for fluids. Then at 62K, the engine seized and was toast. Again, GM split the cost, but I suspect the root cause had been the engine work done the year before and they were biting the bullet to cover for the dealer. After the dealer replaced the engine, they failed to realign the front wheels, and the car ate the two front tires. I've never had a car I would classify a lemon - outside of this one. Between poor design (the battery was located under the floorboard between the front and second row passenger seat in a box that didn't have enough clearance to get a hold of the battery for removal) and questionable service by two different dealers, this vehicle was enough of a POS that I would never buy another one - ever.
The first gens did have a lot of issues. The new has a totally new platform and the 3.6 is the new gen.

We avoided the first gen mostly due to size. It was just bigger than she wanted. We opted for the Terrain in stead. It was ok but it had its issues too. The interior was poorly packaged and the mpg was less than the new Acadia. Ride also was not as good.

The Acadia has turned out to be a big improvement over the Terrain.

Only two issues here on the new Acadia is the sun roof cover latch was crap. They finally upgraded it. The shifter had a sensor issue that would not let the vehicle BCM detect park. The shifter was replaced with a new part number and that is corr3cted.

The only other issue is the factory Michelin tires. They drive fine but wear is horrible. 20k to 25k at best. I talked to Michelin and the tire dealer and found that they are just crap tires. The dealer said he does not even recommend them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts