Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I aplogize in advance if there is another thread somewhere about this, I did a bit of searching but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

So I've been wanting to mount KC lights on my 2004 Chevy Colorado Extended Cab with factory fog lights with rocker switches. After some research and a bit of help, I was lend to Otrattw for my switch needs. I found the switches I want and I have the type of wire, fuse, mounting place and such picked out; my only problem is I don't know where to wire the switches to on the truck itself. They are Contura II, Red Lens, Upper Independent, Incandescent lights, and i want them to work along with the dash lighting; including the auto light system. What wires on the truck do I tap into to meet this. Not sure if it helps any but I am going to mount them between the visors above the rear view mirror with an inline fuse in the engine bay.

Switch Diagram:

http://www.otrattw.com/J66a.pdf

·
Registered
678 Posts
I wired a switch like this for a light bar in my 2500HD.

7&8 pins are grounds which I Y'd together and connected to the ground from the lightbar's harness.

2 pin is the white wire from the lightbar's harness

3 pin is the blue wire from the lightbar's harness.

6 pin is an add-a-fuse from a keyed on power.

In this set up the bottom light is lit when the key is on, and both lights on the switch are lit when the lightbar is turned on.

I hope this helps.. wiring is not my forte.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I aplogize in advance if there is another thread somewhere about this, I did a bit of searching but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

So I've been wanting to mount KC lights on my 2004 Chevy Colorado Extended Cab with factory fog lights with rocker switches. After some research and a bit of help, I was lend to Otrattw for my switch needs. I found the switches I want and I have the type of wire, fuse, mounting place and such picked out; my only problem is I don't know where to wire the switches to on the truck itself. They are Contura II, Red Lens, Upper Independent, Incandescent lights, and i want them to work along with the dash lighting; including the auto light system. What wires on the truck do I tap into to meet this. Not sure if it helps any but I am going to mount them between the visors above the rear view mirror with an inline fuse in the engine bay.

Switch Diagram:

http://www.otrattw.com/J66a.pdf
pretty much self explanatory:

7 and 8 ground to the body of the truck
2 to a battery positive with your fuse inline.
3 goes to your new light
6 goes to a dash light positive that comes on with the headlights, one that dims is preferred.(this terminal lights the lamp in the switch so you can see it at night)

looks like the lower light inside the switch will come on with the headlights (and be dimmable if connected like I said), the lower light in the switch will come on when you turn the switch on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the clarification! Now I need a wire location for the #6 wire; such as in the light control panel, a wire in the actual headlight harness, a background light for the instrument panel, etc. Otherwise like I said, thank you for clarifying. I had a bit of an idea but I wanted to double check to see if what I thought was correct was in fact, correct.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, here's an update; I mounted KC lights (fogs and spots) and I have those switches in. Only problem is I'm still trying to trouble shoot a dimmer wire. If i tapped it into the amp power wire behind the HU would that work roughly the same way?

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Hey guys, here's an update; I mounted KC lights (fogs and spots) and I have those switches in. Only problem is I'm still trying to trouble shoot a dimmer wire. If i tapped it into the amp power wire behind the HU would that work roughly the same way?
that would light it up when the radio is on. Of coarse it won't dim though. If you want it to dim it has to be connected to a wire going to the dash lights that come on with the headlights. I had a 2007 Colrado but I don't remember where the dimmer for the dash lights are. That would be a good place to tap into. Isn't there a lamp in the top of the radio bezel/cover near the hazard switch? That would work too. Or any switched wire if you don't care about dimming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my follow up; I tried the amp turn on wire and it didn't work, also looked at the headlight switch panel and i could not find any "wiring schematics for dummies" on it so i wired it to my drls under the hood. I understand enough about wiring to be able to tell which wire was which and they work perfectly. They don't dim but that's a minor detail, and in case you're wondering no they do not blink when i am turning, although my friend and i thought that would be pretty hysterical.

Reactions: White016
1 - 7 of 7 Posts