Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Seeing many pop-up everywhere...three in parking lot where I work alone.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've seen exactly ONE "in the wild" If they're selling, it isn't in Northeast Ohio. The Twins and the Taco reign supreme. I actually saw a Gladiator in the wild more quickly after release than a Ranger. Hell, I see more Ridgelines.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My dealer has owns a Ford and Chevrolet dealership, which is right next to each other. The sales people are aloud to sell both. The one salesman told me that the pull them up for customers to compare, and drive them side by side and 8 out of 10 times they choose the Colorado.
Remember, Edmunds, Motortrend and Car and Driver all rated the Colorado #1 in the segment!

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
I have still only seen 5-6 Rangers in wild, did see one Gladiator the other day.

This video didn't sell me on a Ranger by any means. A few things I saw:

1. Around 1:45 point, he talks about it having good road manners, which is just the opposite of what other reviewers have said.

2. At 2:12, talks about the Ranger Raptor that Ford has said isn't coming in this generation.

3. At the 3:15 point in the video, they show the space in rear seat while he talks about all the rear leg room - it looked awful. I put my briefcase in the back floorboard, it would not fit in the Ford.

He does recognize that the price is too high.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have seen a number of them here. Most are loaded models and I saw one base model today.

I has one owner show me his Ranger. He then checked out my Canyon and was shocked at some of the things I had he lacked.

Fair assessment. The backseat and price are horrible. The interior is not better than GM’s.

It will sell fine due to loyal base but Ford could have really gained an advantage and I feel they dropped the ball of opportunity.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The Pro of he Ranger, you can put 33's on with out a level or lift...I still just see 2 of them now and then, Brown and a Blue one

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ford killed it themselves. Should have bought out the diesel and Raptor versions which are already #1 in the Pacific/Asian market. My cuz' Ranger Raptor (twin turbo diesel engine). Fiji version and everything came as stock incl sports bar, 33s KOs, 2 tone leather/cloth seats, and visor vents.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
rumor has it the Raptor will be here next year even though early this year they said it was not...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Ford killed it themselves. Should have bought out the diesel and Raptor versions which are already #1 in the Pacific/Asian market. My cuz' Ranger Raptor (twin turbo diesel engine). Fiji version and everything came as stock incl sports bar, 33s KOs, 2 tone leather/cloth seats, and visor vents.
View attachment 379072
If you check the price in Austrailia and convert it to American Dollars the price moves to around $70K.

If you watch specualtion is the Raptor may appear on the Bronco as it could easily ask a higher price and a mid size truck. Also the Small Raptor would be in the price range of the large Raptor.

GM worked hard to avoid this witht he ZR2 as they know there are limits to what people will pay.

If Ford can cut the cost we may see a cheaper version of the truck here but that could be difficult. Even the FX4 as it is cost as much or more than the ZR2 now.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Actually saw a new Ranger on road this past weekend. Was silver, with a silver cap, the all one color made it appear very bland, but I was impressed to see one with a cap on it.

The other half of this story is that I want the Ranger, Gladiator, Frontier (new model????), Taco, etc. to put pressure on GM to give us a better truck at a competitive price. I don't see better and I don't see competitive being one of the goals of these offerings.

It is the same in so many markets. Suppliers want to make more money on less items sold.

Even the housing market in DFW is that way. The price of a piece of land is so high, that in order to build a house on it, you have to build 2500 square feet or more to justify even breaking ground. And with builders pushing for $200 per square foot (with the $100K lot included), that puts a minimum price on new house construction in the half million dollar range. My wife and I would like to downsize, but we would pay more for less house. Doesn't make sense.

Same thing with trucks. Can't find a simple truck for transportation. I don't know how a business that requires a fleet of vehicles can afford to stay in business.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Actually saw a new Ranger on road this past weekend. Was silver, with a silver cap, the all one color made it appear very bland, but I was impressed to see one with a cap on it.

The other half of this story is that I want the Ranger, Gladiator, Frontier (new model????), Taco, etc. to put pressure on GM to give us a better truck at a competitive price. I don't see better and I don't see competitive being one of the goals of these offerings.

It is the same in so many markets. Suppliers want to make more money on less items sold.

Even the housing market in DFW is that way. The price of a piece of land is so high, that in order to build a house on it, you have to build 2500 square feet or more to justify even breaking ground. And with builders pushing for $200 per square foot (with the $100K lot included), that puts a minimum price on new house construction in the half million dollar range. My wife and I would like to downsize, but we would pay more for less house. Doesn't make sense.

Same thing with trucks. Can't find a simple truck for transportation. I don't know how a business that requires a fleet of vehicles can afford to stay in business.
They are all in the same boat and to be honest none of them have really stepped up.

I exclude the Jeep as it is a Jeep thing. You love em or hate em but seldom you do both.

I expect from what I have read GM is just going to evolve the platform. That in trucks usually means stiffer chassis, suspension enhancments and drive line improvments.

I expect the 2.7 to arrive but will it or will it not negate the V6? I hope not as I would like both options.

The 10 speed at some point should be expected.

As for the trucks themselves I think the interors will improve just because of the beating the full size has taken.

The big gains will be in the electrical system as it will have the new GM electronic architeture. That should improve much of the electical items and offerings. LED everything etc.

Styling I am at a loss at what they will do. Will they keep the same thing where the Chevy will differ from the full size while the Canyon will mimic the full size? Will we see the new tailgate etc.

Finally it will go up in price but will they work hard to keep it close? They did that on the Corvette so I hope they can do it here.

I would love to see a road handling package with a rear sway bar being made optional. Most of these trucks never leave the road so an on road package would be nice on the RST.

No matter what GM is in a place they can make this truck stand out since Ford dropped the ball. I just hope GM does not fumble.

GM can refine what we have and really stay ahead. No need to reinvent this truck just make it better.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
They are all in the same boat and to be honest none of them have really stepped up.
I exclude the Jeep as it is a Jeep thing. You love em or hate em but seldom you do both.
I expect from what I have read GM is just going to evolve the platform. That in trucks usually means stiffer chassis, suspension enhancements and drive line improvements.
I expect the 2.7 to arrive but will it or will it not negate the V6? I hope not as I would like both options.
The 10 speed at some point should be expected.
As for the trucks themselves I think the interiors will improve just because of the beating the full size has taken.
The big gains will be in the electrical system as it will have the new GM electronic architecture. That should improve much of the electrical items and offerings. LED everything etc.
Styling I am at a loss at what they will do. Will they keep the same thing where the Chevy will differ from the full size while the Canyon will mimic the full size? Will we see the new tailgate etc.
Finally it will go up in price but will they work hard to keep it close? They did that on the Corvette so I hope they can do it here.
I would love to see a road handling package with a rear sway bar being made optional. Most of these trucks never leave the road so an on road package would be nice on the RST.
No matter what GM is in a place they can make this truck stand out since Ford dropped the ball. I just hope GM does not fumble.
GM can refine what we have and really stay ahead. No need to reinvent this truck just make it better.
Lot there in your comments. I agree with your Gladiator comments. I am surprised how few I have seen around me, as the 4 door Wranglers have replaced the minivan as the soccer mom vehicle.

Not sure what I think on the engine choices. I can see the 2.7 turbo being a good match to our trucks, but in the FS trucks, the 2.7 comes in with lower tow capacity than the 4.3L in the FS and the V6 in our mid-size trucks. Lighter truck, maybe they can give it some higher numbers, but questionable. I know the towing capacity is a bragging right, but honestly, how many of us are towing more than 5000 pounds? I keep thinking I would like to see the 4.3L, but it may be that the 3.6L is just the sweet engine for our trucks. I do think the 10 speed is included in some form, and the manual is history.

I guess I am strange, I like my interior. Sure, seats could be better, but the knobs, buttons, etc. work well for the luddite in me. LEDs across the board for sure, save on juice and reduce copper gauge for costs and weight.

Styling is one of those things I am less concerned with, but they do have the capacity to screw it up. I like both the Colorado and Canyon's exterior styling. I don't have an issue with the new Silverado and Sierra styling, but while I think you need to keep some styling components across the product line, some differentiation is good. What ever they do, DON'T GO BIGGER. The multi-function tailgate is nice, but I rarely get in my bed. Actually, I probably haven't climbed in my bed this year. I have never seen the numbers, and I don't think GM breaks it out anywhere, but I would guess that the multi-function tailgate adds $400 to $600 to the MSRP in high volumes. I do wonder if they will keep two wheelbases, or if they will go to a crew cab short bed and extended cab long bed like Ford. Of course, Jeep and Honda only have CCSB versions. It will be interesting to see what Toyota and Nissan do in their re-designs as well. If the CCLB version is abandoned by all manufacturers, that may drive some midsize truck customers into a FS truck.

My truck handles fine on the road, of course I came from a Wrangler to a Canyon, so my opinion may not be much help.

I think what GM needs in these trucks is an improved power train, get away from the shudder and stutter, some of the electronics that are all the rage, with the surround cameras and so forth, little better seats, and then keep it simple. And keep a good, entry level version in the mix.

If I really want to go wild and crazy, give me an electric truck with a 15 minute quick charge, 400 mile range on a charge and watch the market get turned upside down.

That said, will Ford really try to make the Ranger a competitor at some point, or just tag along?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Lot there in your comments. I agree with your Gladiator comments. I am surprised how few I have seen around me, as the 4 door Wranglers have replaced the minivan as the soccer mom vehicle.

Not sure what I think on the engine choices. I can see the 2.7 turbo being a good match to our trucks, but in the FS trucks, the 2.7 comes in with lower tow capacity than the 4.3L in the FS and the V6 in our mid-size trucks. Lighter truck, maybe they can give it some higher numbers, but questionable. I know the towing capacity is a bragging right, but honestly, how many of us are towing more than 5000 pounds? I keep thinking I would like to see the 4.3L, but it may be that the 3.6L is just the sweet engine for our trucks. I do think the 10 speed is included in some form, and the manual is history.

I guess I am strange, I like my interior. Sure, seats could be better, but the knobs, buttons, etc. work well for the luddite in me. LEDs across the board for sure, save on juice and reduce copper gauge for costs and weight.

Styling is one of those things I am less concerned with, but they do have the capacity to screw it up. I like both the Colorado and Canyon's exterior styling. I don't have an issue with the new Silverado and Sierra styling, but while I think you need to keep some styling components across the product line, some differentiation is good. What ever they do, DON'T GO BIGGER. The multi-function tailgate is nice, but I rarely get in my bed. Actually, I probably haven't climbed in my bed this year. I have never seen the numbers, and I don't think GM breaks it out anywhere, but I would guess that the multi-function tailgate adds $400 to $600 to the MSRP in high volumes. I do wonder if they will keep two wheelbases, or if they will go to a crew cab short bed and extended cab long bed like Ford. Of course, Jeep and Honda only have CCSB versions. It will be interesting to see what Toyota and Nissan do in their re-designs as well. If the CCLB version is abandoned by all manufacturers, that may drive some midsize truck customers into a FS truck.

My truck handles fine on the road, of course I came from a Wrangler to a Canyon, so my opinion may not be much help.

I think what GM needs in these trucks is an improved power train, get away from the shudder and stutter, some of the electronics that are all the rage, with the surround cameras and so forth, little better seats, and then keep it simple. And keep a good, entry level version in the mix.

If I really want to go wild and crazy, give me an electric truck with a 15 minute quick charge, 400 mile range on a charge and watch the market get turned upside down.

That said, will Ford really try to make the Ranger a competitor at some point, or just tag along?
Around here the Wrangler has taken all the blonds 20 something’s that used to buy Mustang Convertibles. They go out with the top and doors out with their paddle boards going to the lake.

The Gladiator is not a great truck for hauling. The long wheel base is an issue off road, the wind noise and mpg is nothing great and the stone chips will all be down the side. But it is a Jeep and people who love them accept that.

The 2.7 I feel was meant more for our trucks than full size as they plan to sell only a small volume in the full size. Most buy the V8 anyways. The 4.3 will go away soon as emissions and NHV has never been good on them. It was an engine build to be cheap using V8 parts and it pays for it in noise, harshness and vibrations. V6 engines need to be either in line or 60 degree to be smooth.

The interiors are not bad but most people would like improvements. Move the 4x4 knob work the seats to suit more wide butts. Give the GMC better fake wood etc. just a few details would really put GM farther out ahead of the others. Just refine it.

I like my Canyon styling. But I know they need to update. The tailgate I think would be better on the mid size with short beds. It would be great for my sons derby car as it would give me a stop here I need it.

It is a given we will see 360 cameras and adaptive Cruise there are already spots on the dash for them based on comparison to my Acadia. GMC has added these to everything but the Canyon at this point. They may not wait with the new nose coming for the Canyon.

Ford will improve but at what cost. They already are asking more.

As for electric it will come but I have no interest till there are charging stations every where and it will charge in the same time to fill a tank of gas. Also they need to cost the same as I will not pay $15k to $20k more than a Gas truck.

That time is coming but ICE is expected to be common till at least 2050. SAE just had a story on the future of ICE and the major MFGs all said they have plans to keep them around.

GM has two engine in ice engines in the works now we have yet to see. One I think is the turbo 3 and the other may be the TT DOHC V8 the Vette will get and I expect the trucks will see a cheaper version. They will need the DOHC just for the emissions as the two valve has gone about as far as GM can take it. Much depends on off cycle credits to keep it alive. They can only cut so many cylinders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Around here the Wrangler has taken all the blonds 20 something’s that used to buy Mustang Convertibles. They go out with the top and doors out with their paddle boards going to the lake.

The Gladiator is not a great truck for hauling. The long wheel base is an issue off road, the wind noise and mpg is nothing great and the stone chips will all be down the side. But it is a Jeep and people who love them accept that.

The 2.7 I feel was meant more for our trucks than full size as they plan to sell only a small volume in the full size. Most buy the V8 anyways. The 4.3 will go away soon as emissions and NHV has never been good on them. It was an engine build to be cheap using V8 parts and it pays for it in noise, harshness and vibrations. V6 engines need to be either in line or 60 degree to be smooth.

The interiors are not bad but most people would like improvements. Move the 4x4 knob work the seats to suit more wide butts. Give the GMC better fake wood etc. just a few details would really put GM farther out ahead of the others. Just refine it.

I like my Canyon styling. But I know they need to update. The tailgate I think would be better on the mid size with short beds. It would be great for my sons derby car as it would give me a stop here I need it.

It is a given we will see 360 cameras and adaptive Cruise there are already spots on the dash for them based on comparison to my Acadia. GMC has added these to everything but the Canyon at this point. They may not wait with the new nose coming for the Canyon.

Ford will improve but at what cost. They already are asking more.

As for electric it will come but I have no interest till there are charging stations every where and it will charge in the same time to fill a tank of gas. Also they need to cost the same as I will not pay $15k to $20k more than a Gas truck.

That time is coming but ICE is expected to be common till at least 2050. SAE just had a story on the future of ICE and the major MFGs all said they have plans to keep them around.

GM has two engine in ice engines in the works now we have yet to see. One I think is the turbo 3 and the other may be the TT DOHC V8 the Vette will get and I expect the trucks will see a cheaper version. They will need the DOHC just for the emissions as the two valve has gone about as far as GM can take it. Much depends on off cycle credits to keep it alive. They can only cut so many cylinders.
Had a 2016 Jeep. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. Took it off road and was nothing to write home about. Bought my 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 and had it off road and the Jeep doesn't even come close to doing what my ZR2 does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
Rob L.
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing