Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
It happens often to me that I accidentally switch the 4x4 selector knob into 4x4 without knowing it when I leave the car. So until GM decides to update the firmware or somebody else has an clever idea, I came up with a simple Plexiglas shield. This allows me to select the mode. It is easy to make with a heat gun a scoring knife and a vise. I used 1/16 thick material because it can easily be inserted into the gap at the dashboard. See the pics for more detail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Nice! that way its not a permanent mod that others probably have done.. How well does it stay on there, let alone being bumped around on the road or by doing exactly what it was made to prevent...hitting it with your knee?

Honestly I don't know how people can hit the switch... Ive tried to put my self in various ways to hit it, after learning this issue, but Ive never been able to replicate it by hitting it myself....

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I find it hard to recreate the scenario where I could hit the switch. My truck is 2wd, but in 2 1/2 years I have hit my light switch maybe 3 times. Every time I was exiting the truck awkwardly with a package in my hands trying to avoid the steering wheel. When I try to figure out what happened, I can't figure out how my knee bumped the light switch but it did.

Seems like if bumping the 4wd selector was so easy the light switch would be too. Initially I just thought you guys were nuts but now I recognize it can happen.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Excellent idea and could be applied to some other switches in other vehicles as well.

Kind of like the home thermostat plastic covers they have in restaurants and businesses to keep others from easily tampering with settings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It happened to me today. Ended up driving ~30 miles mixed highway/city driving in 4hi before I realized. Thought my tires were rubbing on full lock turns. A fix for protecting this knob would be helpful.

What should I worry about? Should I have my transmission/transfercase inspected? Vehicle drives fine now. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Driving in 4H for 30 miles? I wouldn't worry at all.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
When should you worry about driving in 4HI? Ive gotten conflicting information about running in 4HI...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
When should you worry about driving in 4HI? Ive gotten conflicting information about running in 4HI...
It's more about how you're driving. If you're going in a fairly straight line, say down the freeway, you really aren't going to hurt anything. It's turning where it will start to bind up, and that's where things can break.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
At 6'2", I'm another one that can't hit the switch with my knee, with the way my steering wheel is set, I can view the knob when I glance down through the steering wheel.

What confuses me, if the truck is "off" when exiting or entering the truck, you might hit the switch, but you are "not" actually changing mode, even when you do eventually start the truck. The knob is in the wrong position and is not lit. Bottom line, it sounds to me people are hitting the switch while driving or parked with the engine running and not noticing the 4WD message on the DIC, or playing with their lights and hitting the 4WD know instead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There were maybe 3 or 4 times that I was turning on the street where it felt like my tires were rubbing (in actuality they were not, it was the 4hi binding.) I reveresed and took a wider turn. I think the transmission would experience more load from the diesel version doing some serious rock crawling in 4lo (I have the lower torqued gas and was in 4hi). I think (hope) my truck will be ok.

I think if the knob is turned while exiting the truck after turned off, on restart, the system may actually engage the unwanted setting (4hi or lo).

I think switching the placement of the lights and 4wheel drive setting knobs would make more sense since the lighting is nearly always in "auto".

Either way, loving my black ZR2, it's a lot like my previous H3 and has all the best parts of my current G63.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
.... I think the transmission would experience more load from the diesel version doing some serious rock crawling in 4lo (I have the lower torqued gas and was in 4hi).......
The transmission will not be affected at all - the output side of the transfer case (hi/Lo doesn't matter), driveshafts, half shafts, differentials, U-joints, CV joints, spindles and tires are what are taking the excess load. It does not matter if the engine is pushing, or the transmission is in neutral.

Something in the system has to slip - off-road it is in the tires on the dirt/sand/etc. On pavement, the tires still have to slip, or something will break.

·
Registered
32 Posts
.... I think the transmission would experience more load from the diesel version doing some serious rock crawling in 4lo (I have the lower torqued gas and was in 4hi).......
The transmission will not be affected at all - the output side of the transfer case (hi/Lo doesn't matter), driveshafts, half shafts, differentials, U-joints, CV joints, spindles and tires are what are taking the excess load. It does not matter if the engine is pushing, or the transmission is in neutral.

Something in the system has to slip - off-road it is in the tires on the dirt/sand/etc. On pavement, the tires still have to slip, or something will break.
Understood, and appreciate the clarification. What you recommend that I do? Is there something in particular I should be looking for? Any text I can run? Drove all day today in 2 hi on road and all felt normal.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You're fine. You aren't going to harm anything doing that once or twice. You'd have to keep going when you feel it binding and really force it to get to the point of breaking something.

As for the shifting, if the knob is tired with the truck off, it will not shift when you turn it on. You would have to turn the knob back to 2 hi and back to 4 again to make it shift.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Really! Hey, today I put my truck in drive & it went forward, really! Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're fine. You aren't going to harm anything doing that once or twice. You'd have to keep going when you feel it binding and really force it to get to the point of breaking something.

As for the shifting, if the knob is tired with the truck off, it will not shift when you turn it on. You would have to turn the knob back to 2 hi and back to 4 again to make it shift.

KMW... you're a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

BTW Saw the YouTube video of you crawling up to that lake. Great wheeling on your part!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
happens to me all the time. Knee hits the light control also. I notice it usually next time I park.. steering will feel funny... I had the Cajon an colorado.. the both are easy to hit... i have the 2.8 Denali now.. same issue.. that said.. 30mpg most if the [email protected]@ loooove this thing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.