Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Two questions...

1) Does slamming into lock mode like that do damage? Seems pretty harsh. That's a lot of torque for a little gear, but I'm not a metallurgist.

2) Someone mentioned above that leaving the Colorado in 4WD 'Auto' indefinitely won't hurt it. I mention this because the manual suggests it will create premature wear and tear. Normally you don't say something like that in a technical manual unless they don't suggest it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well now, it's not all that bad up here in the Great White North!
I really think it depends on terrain more than the frequency of snow. I always roll my eyes at someone who says they know how to drive in the snow because they learned to do so in Iowa. It can also depend on the vehicle and how much weight is over the drive wheels. I would suspect the crewcab Canyon/Colorados are better in the snow than the extended cabs when in 2WD.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
For 2WD . . it also helps to have a 165lb cap on the back and a 60lb tool box. Bridgestone Dueler RH-S tires help also if a person wants a mild, good riding AT type tire.

Never have any trouble in snow with 2WD.
In my 3rd 2WD Colorado CCSB with G80 locker since 2005. ::chevy::

·
Registered
136 Posts
I really think it depends on terrain more than the frequency of snow. I always roll my eyes at someone who says they know how to drive in the snow because they learned to do so in Iowa. It can also depend on the vehicle and how much weight is over the drive wheels. I would suspect the crewcab Canyon/Colorados are better in the snow than the extended cabs when in 2WD.
I rarely put weight in my Crewcabs (my 18 Z71 and my 04 Canyon were both crew cabs). I always found the weight of the cab really did a lot for traction. I had an old 80s Ranger and a nissan Hardbody that I had to put weight in the bed to get better traction.
I wish I could claim that every Canadian was an amazing winter driver (or that we all wear plaid and are innate lumberjacks with flawless French accents honed while training our pet beavers to pull our toboggans across the vast hinterlands of the arctic tundra) but there are a whole lot of inept, idiotic and inexperienced drivers on he roads up here, especially during the first snow storm of the year! Honestly, it usually stops snowing March or April in most of the country and can begin again as early as October or November and in that time it seems like most people completely forget how to drive in snow or freezing rain...
Proper equipment (I'm an advocate for snow tires which aren't always an asset in icy conditions) and awareness of road conditions are the key. I don't care how your vehicle is set up though - you can put it in the ditch or cause an accident by overdriving the road conditions.

Don't forget though, we all think that 4wd will get us out of trouble but there is a flip side too. It can get you into deeper trouble too because you can end up stuck somewhere that a 2wd would never have gotten to...:surprise:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I wish I could claim that every Canadian was an amazing winter driver (or that we all wear plaid and are innate lumberjacks with flawless French accents honed while training our pet beavers to pull our toboggans across the vast hinterlands of the arctic tundra) but there are a whole lot of inept, idiotic and inexperienced drivers on he roads up here, especially during the first snow storm of the year!
Well I'm sure it's better there than here in Western Washington. My advice to outsiders is that when it starts snowing either leave work ASAP or stay to 8 or 9 p.m. so that the others are off the road (or at least no longer trying to move).

On the other hand, we handle rain really well compared to say L.A. :grin2:

Don't forget though, we all think that 4wd will get us out of trouble but there is a flip side too. It can get you into deeper trouble too because you can end up stuck somewhere that a 2wd would never have gotten to...:surprise:
That's why God invented winches!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thinking about it, this snow discussion is academic for me as long as I have my old Ranger working. If there's snow on the ground I'm going to be more likely to take out my $2,000 vehicle rather than my $30,000 vehicle. The changeover would be when it starts to clear, when being able to go in AWD and not have to worry about not having a center differential would be nice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live Wayne County NY in the heart of one of the regions Lake Ontario takes aim at in the winter with its Lake effect snow. For those who have no idea what Lake effect snow it. well there is no storm system, just minor disturbances, wind packed and very cold and these set off snows that can dump feet in a very short time. Just a couple of years ago, Oswego, just easy of us got 110+ inches in a week.
One 1983 S10 long box, 2 5 speed S10 Blazers, many rear wheel drive cars, 09 Colorado Crew and now a 2019 Colorado extended cab, all G80 equipped. along with Blizzaks or Winter force tires and I never have gotten stuck of slide off road. Pulled a boat also!!!! I see actually more 4x4's sliding off road and getting stuck because they have 4 wheel drive. 4 Wheel drive can do anything and go anywhere, YEAH OK. I just pass then and wave!!!!! Its how you drive no how its equipped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lockers on a 2WD will give you more traction than a 2WD without lockers, but it comes with some nasty side effects as well. What 4WD buys you is stability. Since you have one front tire pulling, it tends to pull you in a straighter line. With 2WD, you don't have that front tire grabbing and to make matters worse, you now have both back tires spinning and there is now nothing to keep your back end straight. This results in a tendency for the vehicle to slide out uncontrollably.

I'm not saying that 4WD is the end all be all, but if I'm driving in snow, that little bit of extra assurance for my stability is why I enjoy driving a 4x4. Besides, going somewhere where most can't go is a really cool feeling to me.

To sum it all up, 2WD with lockers is not as great as it may seem, but at the end of the day, you will get more traction of course it comes at a cost.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a Toyota salesperson ask why I wanted 4 wheel drive, when the Tacoma I was looking at had a locking rear end. My wife (at the time) told her that she thought it was a "guy thing".

If I'm saying I want to spend a little more, why would you question my motivation for buying something if you get a commission off of it??

I ended up with a 2WD Colorado, and it is a far better truck. I wish I had the G80, but it does fine with some sand bags in the rear. It does tend to tear up the girlfriend's parents' yard if I back off of the driveway when it is muddy, but I haven't gotten hopelessly stuck (yet).

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Around here in the winter not even 2WD with my G80 compares to 4WD. Stop on a hill with snow and try to get going again in 2WD, not happening. Not with the OEM tires, anyway. Switch to Auto 4WD and I’m up and away with no drama.

Just no comparison when it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Around here in the winter not even 2WD with my G80 compares to 4WD. Stop on a hill with snow and try to get going again in 2WD, not happening. Not with the OEM tires, anyway. Switch to Auto 4WD and I’m up and away with no drama.
People keep saying to use 2WD and snow tires. That's an ongoing expense and a PITA even if you have rims. With 4WD/AWD there's really little need for snow tires for most people. And the 4WD/AWD system is always installed on your car/truck!

Personally my preference would have been for AWD and a locking (not auto locking) rear end. But I didn't end up getting that. I don't even remember if it's offered on the LT and I didn't want the off road trims.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before my Colorado Diesel, for many years I had a 2WD Dakota with an open diff. It was terrible in snow, and once got stuck on wet grass (really, talk about embarrassing). I gave up in the end and retro-fitted an aftermarket locker diff (I think it was a richmond Gear product). It solved the traction problem but sure made it scary at times. Because it was a full time locker, if it did break traction on any sort off-camber surface the truck could VERY quickly get sideways. Made me very careful about driving aggressively in low traction conditions. The same problem arose if climbing hills: if you lost traction at speed, watch out. A speed-limited locker would be better than a full-time locker for 2WD. If on a 4WD vehicle the forward driven wheels seem to reduce the directional instability.

·
Registered
137 Posts
People keep saying to use 2WD and snow tires. That's an ongoing expense and a PITA even if you have rims. With 4WD/AWD there's really little need for snow tires for most people. And the 4WD/AWD system is always installed on your car/truck!

Personally my preference would have been for AWD and a locking (not auto locking) rear end. But I didn't end up getting that. I don't even remember if it's offered on the LT and I didn't want the off road trims.
That is horrible thinking/advice. First, if you are in an area that is snows regularly for 6 months out of the year, you should have winter tires regardless if it is 4wd or 2wd. 4wd doesn't help you stop or turn (very few know how to help it turn with awd/4wd), all it does is help accelerate and mostly is beneficial on an incline. Second, that expense of tires that should be on both 2wd & 4wd vehicles is compounded with the 4wd option being $4k. On top of the added financing costs, insurance, wear and tear, mpg hit and then if something breaks the cost of those parts (ever priced out a transfer case or front axle?) and you might get back half of that amount in resale; so you spent a dollar to get back 50 cents... Unless you absolutely need 4wd off road or regular snow seasons in hilly/mountainous areas, it is pretty safe to say you don't need it (pretty much assume a good portion living south of the mason dixon line). Only those that are purchasing know their actually uses, I would bet a there is a good portion who buy for the image though.

BTW, when you run snow tires it makes the other tires last longer and you can usually sell them if need be as well. So the financial cost overall is minimal, especially compared to the cost of 4wd.

Tyler

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is horrible thinking/advice. First, if you are in an area that is snows regularly for 6 months out of the year, you should have winter tires regardless if it is 4wd or 2wd. 4wd doesn't help you stop or turn (very few know how to help it turn with awd/4wd), all it does is help accelerate and mostly is beneficial on an incline. Second, that expense of tires that should be on both 2wd & 4wd vehicles is compounded with the 4wd option being $4k. On top of the added financing costs, insurance, wear and tear, mpg hit and then if something breaks the cost of those parts (ever priced out a transfer case or front axle?) and you might get back half of that amount in resale; so you spent a dollar to get back 50 cents... Unless you absolutely need 4wd off road or regular snow seasons in hilly/mountainous areas, it is pretty safe to say you don't need it (pretty much assume a good portion living south of the mason dixon line). Only those that are purchasing know their actually uses, I would bet a there is a good portion who buy for the image though.

BTW, when you run snow tires it makes the other tires last longer and you can usually sell them if need be as well. So the financial cost overall is minimal, especially compared to the cost of 4wd.

Tyler

YUP! YUP! YUP!
My 2wd with a G80 and a set of snow tires WILL outperform a 2WD that has a 4x4 sticker on it. It won't go straighter as suggested because without snows the rear will spin alot faster than the front with more weight on it causing BUMP STEER. Add a G80 to the 4x4 2wd and make it a 4x3 and I'll add front snows and at some very rare times the 4x3 may accelerate better but I'll stop better and out steer you. The only way to beat it is by adding Snows to the 4x4 and now it gets the advantage, but if you need a AWD with snows on it, well it's time to get off the road and stay home til its over.
Cost wise its also a misnomer/bad advice. The 4x4 actually being a 4x2 costs $4000+ more, rims and tires will cost me less than $1000 and as stated above you summer tires will last longer since there not on all winter, so cost is wiped.

PITA doing this, well if your rotating tires either by yourself at home or using a dealer etc, whats the difference in swapping out types of tires, no extra anything. You just adapt your service schedule to late fall and late spring for rotation.
40+ years of driving in a area that has snow 6-7 months a year, over 120+" on average of total snowfall, I've never even considered a 4x4 because of snow or even a AWD for the wife. Me and a locker and snows, the wife FWD and snows is all we ever had at best. Like I said before, its all in the ability of the driver knowing the limits than it is the ability of the vehicle. Most all the vehicles that get stuck, run off into ditches etc are the 4x4's and the AWD's, false sense of security makes stupid happen!

·
Super Moderator
3,556 Posts
It's not even fall and we're arguing over what setup is best for snow driving? Some of you need to unplug and go do something to your trucks. :p

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
That is horrible thinking/advice. First, if you are in an area that is snows regularly for 6 months out of the year, you should have winter tires regardless if it is 4wd or 2wd. 4wd doesn't help you stop or turn (very few know how to help it turn with awd/4wd)
I have no idea why you think 4WD doesn't help you turn. Please enlighten me. To me it's exactly the same as driving a FWD car in the snow, except that you're more likely to move forward too due to the rear wheels helping.

I actually don't have that much experience driving a RWD car in the snow. Most my vehicles were either FWD or 4WD/AWD. My only RWD vehicles were a Fiat X19, which probably would have been a good snow car, a Mazda RX7, which probably wouldn't have been, but I don't think I drove either in the snow. I also owned a Mustang, which totally sucked in the snow.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's not even fall and we're arguing over what setup is best for snow driving? Some of you need to unplug and go do something to your trucks. :p
Word.

I grew up driving RWD vehicles in the snow, and got to be very good at it. No matter what anyone tells you, it's easier and you're safer with an AWD system. Sure you can do it in a RWD truck, but like the classic 7-iron scene in Tin Cup, why?

Roy: Parred the backside with a 7-iron.
Simms: Why?

I'm a mortician, so when I have to be at work, I have to be at work. No one wants to hear my excuse about snow, blocked roads, or traffic when they're trying to bury Mama. I've got narrow country roads, hills, downed trees, and DC area morons to dodge on the way to work, and I need every advantage I can get.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm a mortician, so when I have to be at work, I have to be at work. No one wants to hear my excuse about snow, blocked roads, or traffic when they're trying to bury Mama. I've got narrow country roads, hills, downed trees, and DC area morons to dodge on the way to work, and I need every advantage I can get.
Yeah, amen to that brother !! You do not want to be dead last at the funeral.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts

Guess I thought no one had funerals in winter in snow country?

I suppose telling them to roll Mama out in the snow, she'll keep till the roads thaw doesn't go over very well.

(OK, I deal with death a lot, so my sense of humor may border on disturbing.)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts