Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I took my 2015 colorado for oil change and they require to service the 45k service. Is this require? What's in a 45k service again? and when do you change transmission oil?

thanks,
Derrick

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
That’s service dept. recommendations and a good idea. The Owners Manual says 105,000 miles. Includes a pan drop filter change and 6 qts of Fluid. Not a flush.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Your transmission should last longer with the proper service intervals.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
xx,xxx thousand mile servicings are just something for the dealer to make money. For the gas Colorados the manual only calls for oil, air/oil/cabin filters, wipers and checking the evaporative control system. For severe service they would add in a transmission fluid change and transfer case fluid, if you have 4WD. Severe service would presumably be towing, but could also possibly be driving a lot in really hot areas.

Save yourself some money and just tell the dealer what you want done.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Straight from the Chevy website.

Screenshot_20200225-171430_Word.jpg

It should also be in the owners manual.

As stated before in this thread, dealer recommended suggestions are mostly for the dealer to make money.

That is unless it's one of those dealers who provide you with a "lifetime" warranty (through the dealer, not from Chevy/GM) which sometime require you to follow their recommended services in order to keep their dealer provided warranty.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I got my Diff and Trans fluid changed around 45k along with a normal oil change & tire rotation.
Doing well with that. Will payoff in the future. Fluids are cheap.

Reactions: Derrick S.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm about to hit 45k. Gonna get my free tire rotation, do my own cabin filter cleaning, and get an oil change at the dealer. How essential are the rest of the things on here? Can I spread out trans and brake fluid wait? Maybe do it at 52k?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm about to hit 45k. Gonna get my free tire rotation, do my own cabin filter cleaning, and get an oil change at the dealer.
That sounds good, but I'd probably change the filter rather than clean it! ;) Seriously, if this is the first time that's being done it's probably filthy. I just changed the daughter's at about 20k and was shocked.

How essential are the rest of the things on here? Can I spread out trans and brake fluid wait? Maybe do it at 52k?
I probably wouldn't delay the transmission change given the issues some of these have had. You could delay the transfer case if you have one, particularly if you haven't been in Auto mode much. Personally I'd wait for brakes to do brake fluid, or just have them test the fluid for moisture if you trust them.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
@Goodspike Thanks for the response. The cabin air filter is the K&N reusable/cleanable one. I bought that one because apparently it lasts a good while and can be cleaned with the K&N cleaning solution. Do you think I should change it instead?

The transmission fluid and brake fluid - thanks for the tips. My 4Cyl hasn't been driven HARD. I think I will do both + the next oil change at 52K miles. Hoping this doesn't bite me in the a$$...

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
@Goodspike Thanks for the response. The cabin air filter is the K&N reusable/cleanable one. I bought that one because apparently it lasts a good while and can be cleaned with the K&N cleaning solution. Do you think I should change it instead?
I was assuming you had just mis-typed. If it's cleanable, clean it. People can debate whether the cleanable ones are better or worse for the engine air filter--I don't think it really matters for the cabin filter (although if they made a HEPA filter for our trucks I'd suggest getting that).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts